NFL Announces New Domestic Violence Policy

Tell it to the courts. All the bitching about Goodell being soft on Rice is hilarious and sad. Goodell punished Ray Rice much more severely than the justice system did.

I agree, wholeheartedly, with the fact that the courts failed. But the NFL failed nearly as badly.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but that has not happened yet, so we are talking hyperbole.. ?? the basic premise is a man striking a woman..

we are talking domestic abuse.

youd be shortsighted to not realize some of these players domestic partners are not women and they can, and probably do, have incidents with partners.

so is it instead a "violence against females" policy that you are seeking as a zero strike policy?

Edited by NoSaint

we are talking domestic abuse.

youd be shortsighted to not realize some of these players domestic partners are not women.

so is it instead a "violence against females" policy that you are seeking as a zero strike policy?

ok.. if you say so.. yea, violence against women.. ill wait to see what happens when 2 gay players(or one gay player and his partner) get into a domestic violence situation before commenting on that.. Edited by dwight in philly

ok.. if you say so.. yea, violence against women.. ill wait to see what happens when 2 gay players(or one gay player and his partner) get into a domestic violence situation before commenting on that..

like i said, i was mostly genuinely interested (and only kind of trying to irk you a little) in whether there was a distinction there for people.... since this is a domestic violence policy. from there im curious about a random fight with a stranger at a club too where a women ends up getting hit. or how severe the injury would need to be for a zero tolerance policy.

Edited by NoSaint

like i said, i was mostly genuinely interested (and only kind of trying to irk you a little) in whether there was a distinction there for people.... since this is a domestic violence policy. from there im curious about a random fight with a stranger at a club too where a women ends up getting hit. or how severe the injury would need to be for a zero tolerance policy.

you have too much time on your hands.. i do not think that the subject of a man striking a woman (in this case)needs that much dissection..its not domestic violence if a random woman is hit in a bar Edited by dwight in philly

Not a common scenario, but what if an NFL player is dating someone like Ronda Rousey and an altercation happens? Is it automatically the player's fault?

Although I agree that domestic violence is wrong and should be severely punished, I am not a fan of once and done with regard to anything really. Everyone makes mistakes in their lives. 6 games is a harsh punishment and sends a message right away. Plus you have to consider the possibility the victim made the story up. Look no further than Brian Banks.

Additionally, Ray Rice has really seemed to try and turn his life around. He has a lot to lose and seems committed on getting better. I have respect for a man that can look in the mirror and say "I need help".

Exactly. I think its also worth considering the degree to which she had it coming. Surely these incidents should be reviewed on a case by case basis.

you have too much time on your hands.. i do not think that the subject needs that much dissection..

you were advocating taking away a mans career instantly for a single offense. and you werent the only one. i was curious where folks draw the lines around that theoretical policy is all. sometimes i think guys get so caught up in who hates it the most, that i didnt know if there was further thought to it, or just an "i hate them the most" reaction.

Although I agree that domestic violence is wrong and should be severely punished, I am not a fan of once and done with regard to anything really. Everyone makes mistakes in their lives. 6 games is a harsh punishment and sends a message right away. Plus you have to consider the possibility the victim made the story up. Look no further than Brian Banks.

Additionally, Ray Rice has really seemed to try and turn his life around. He has a lot to lose and seems committed on getting better. I have respect for a man that can look in the mirror and say "I need help".

Okay. Give 'em 8 games for hitting a woman and give 'em another 8 for dragging one unconscious out of an elevator by the hair.

He may be getting his act together, but I think he only married her so she couldn't testify against him.

you were advocating taking away a mans career instantly for a single offense. and you werent the only one. i was curious where folks draw the lines around that theoretical policy is all. sometimes i think guys get so caught up in who hates it the most, that i didnt know if there was further thought to it, or just an "i hate them the most" reaction.

way too theoretical Edited by dwight in philly

ive got to ask (most of the motivation is being genuinely curious the answer).... what if she was a he, and rice was a gay player? still zero tolerance for a domestic incident?

From a legal standpoint it is still a domestic incident. In most jurisdictions if an assault takes place in a domestic situation the police are obligated to make an arrest. A woman can strike her husband and (she) be arrested. A man can strike his wife and be arrested. A gay person can strike his partner and vice versa and still be arrested. A female can strike her partner and vice versa and still be arrested. The sexuality has no bearing in a domestic law matter.

ok.. if you say so.. yea, violence against women.. ill wait to see what happens when 2 gay players(or one gay player and his partner) get into a domestic violence situation before commenting on that..

So you're going to wait and see....so when that happens, you can kind of figure out which of the dudes is the "wife" in the pair--and then, like if that guy got hit, then you would have the other guy banned for life, right?

Cool, I see your thinking here...

I think the new policy is fair. A stiff penalty the first time and lifetime ban the second.

Folks that suggest that the victim might have "had it coming" fail to fully understand or appreciate just how serious an issue domestic abuse is in our society. I'm sure they've never faced it in their personal lives.

I get that Ray Rice is remorseful and I get that his spouse has forgiven him, however, as close to a zero tolerance policy as you can get in this area the better for all involved.

Where do you draw the line between offenses which are punishable by suspension and punishable by banishment? Hitting a woman is never ok, as you've stated, but driving drunk is also never ok.

well, hitting a woman is never ok --- but hitting a woman thats not your significant other might be ok (too theoretical here) as is discussing hitting that doesnt cause major injury. or hitting a boyfriend. those might be more ok.

well, hitting a woman is never ok --- but hitting a woman thats not your significant other might be ok (too theoretical here) as is discussing hitting that doesnt cause major injury. or hitting a boyfriend. those might be more ok.

You don't want to be guilty of over thinking when meting out the most severe punishment that your organization has at its disposal. The fate of men should be decided by gut instinct.

I know this is a great opportunity to show what a great person I am by supporting this, but I think it's ridiculous. To be clear, I think suspending players for pot and adderall is ridiculous too.

I realize people can lose regular jobs over criminal convictions, but it's a rare job where a misdemeanor assault charge is going to affect one's employment. This is another example of the NFL pandering to pressure created by the media to influence an ignorant public.

But if you don't support this garbage you support beating women.

I haven't read the nfl policy yet, but does anyoneknow if it matters to Goodell whether it is a clean ten count knockout like Ray Rays or whether the decision was split based on points?

Fwiw, IF they are going to dictate penalties willy nilly, to their own whims, without real regard to the law, the penalties for domestic violence should be the very strongest. Along with drunk driving.

I know this is a great opportunity to show what a great person I am by supporting this, but I think it's ridiculous. To be clear, I think suspending players for pot and adderall is ridiculous too.

I realize people can lose regular jobs over criminal convictions, but it's a rare job where a misdemeanor assault charge is going to affect one's employment. This is another example of the NFL pandering to pressure created by the media to influence an ignorant public.

But if you don't support this garbage you support beating women.

Being in the NFL isn't a normal job.

I do think there should be more zero tolerance enforcement in the NFL; I don't believe that if one disagrees with that, that one supports the offense.