NFL Announces New Domestic Violence Policy

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am glad he admitted it, and this is a move in the right direction. However, if he had the ability to suspend for longer I just don't know how, knowing what he knew, he could sign off on two games and been ok with that.

Once I signed my name I couldn't help but think, "man, I am letting someone off the hook and it feels wrong."

They need to start kicking the scum bags out on the FIRST OFFENSE if it's something like what Rice did.

Some offenses need to have a strict zero-tolerance policy. I'm not talking about weed or puking outside your car door. Suspensions are understandable for those types of things.

But domestic violence? Once and done, IMO.

They need to start kicking the scum bags out on the FIRST OFFENSE if it's something like what Rice did.

Some offenses need to have a strict zero-tolerance policy. I'm not talking about weed or puking outside your car door. Suspensions are understandable for those types of things.

Exactly. Gives the wrong impression of what is and what is not acceptable, no matter the circumstances, in our society. The NFL shouldn't want someone representing them that is capable of certain acts even just one time.

while i think its a terrible awful act that i am not condoning in the slightest.... im a bit surprised by the posts saying that domestic violence should be a one strike and you are banned from the league policy.

a man should know better.. zero tolerance for a man striking a woman.. case closed.. Edited by dwight in philly

a man should know better.. zero tolerance in a man striking a woman.. case closed..

a man should. and im not saying it should be ignored or go unpunished. but i also think banishment from the league is probably an over the top stance on a first offense, just as i would say the death penalty would be in the criminal side. you can punish it strongly, without it being the maximum possible penalty that you could ever potentially give out in the history of the league.

Although I agree that domestic violence is wrong and should be severely punished, I am not a fan of once and done with regard to anything really. Everyone makes mistakes in their lives. 6 games is a harsh punishment and sends a message right away. Plus you have to consider the possibility the victim made the story up. Look no further than Brian Banks.

Additionally, Ray Rice has really seemed to try and turn his life around. He has a lot to lose and seems committed on getting better. I have respect for a man that can look in the mirror and say "I need help".

Exactly

CBF

thank you! when the rice incident happened, i could not believe that people on here defended him! things like "she was drunk". "she may have hit him first".. all that BS..even if true, it is unacceptable for a man to strike a woman.. this policy needs to be enforced.. there are enough cowards in the NFL .. this at least will rid the worst of them

Although I agree that domestic violence is wrong and should be severely punished, I am not a fan of once and done with regard to anything really. Everyone makes mistakes in their lives. 6 games is a harsh punishment and sends a message right away. Plus you have to consider the possibility the victim made the story up. Look no further than Brian Banks.

Additionally, Ray Rice has really seemed to try and turn his life around. He has a lot to lose and seems committed on getting better. I have respect for a man that can look in the mirror and say "I need help".

this is much in line with my sentiment.

thank you! when the rice incident happened, i could not believe that people on here defended him! things like "she was drunk". "she may have hit him first".. all that BS..even if true, it is unacceptable for a man to strike a woman.. this policy needs to be enforced.. there are enough cowards in the NFL .. this at least will rid the worst of them

ive got to ask (most of the motivation is being genuinely curious the answer).... what if she was a he, and rice was a gay player? still zero tolerance for a domestic incident?

Edited by NoSaint

I will never defend Rice's actions that night. Despicable. That video is awful, simply awful.

But once and done? I feel like our society has grown to a point that we can attempt to educate rather than simply burn a man at the stake. JMO

a man should know better.. zero tolerance for a man striking a woman.. case closed..

Tell it to the courts. All the bitching about Goodell being soft on Rice is hilarious and sad. Goodell punished Ray Rice much more severely than the justice system did.

Under normal circumstances, I'd agree, Capt.

But these aren't normal circumstances.

This is a man's boss saying, "If you agree to play football at least well enough to stay on the 53-man roster, AND you agree to not be convicted of domestic violence or ... (add list of zero-tolerance offenses here) ... then I will pay you millions of dollars and make you a very rich man."

Under normal circumstances, I'd agree, Capt.

But these aren't normal circumstances.

This is a man's boss saying, "If you agree to play football at least well enough to stay on the 53-man roster, AND you agree to not be convicted of domestic violence or ... (add list of zero-tolerance offenses here) ... then I will pay you millions of dollars and make you a very rich man."

Fair enough. I'm taking into consideration some of the backgrounds these guys come from and the role models they may have had up til this point.

But like I said, JMO

this is much in line with my sentiment.

ive got to ask (most of the motivation is being genuinely curious the answer).... what if she was a he, and rice was a gay player? still zero tolerance for a domestic incident?

but that has not happened yet, so we are talking hyperbole.. ?? the basic premise is a man striking a woman..