Turmoil brewing between Marrone and Whaley?

Considering how bad the Bills stunk up the place on Saturday, I'm sure Whaley is fuming at how bad they were.

I think Brandon was more upset at the streaming pile the Bills laid during a sold-out preseason game. Marrone is probably saying he's saving the real plays for Chicago and Brandon is saying you're killing any hope these fans have.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering all three know this may be their last season* unless they produce a successful team, it wouldn't be surprising to see frustrations come to the surface.

(* please note, I'm not saying it will be their last season, or even that it should be... but with a new owner coming in, and our 14 year drought, they gotta be nervous)

I think this is closest. With new ownership coming in these guys have to feel tremendous pressure to win and win now. Couple that with the fact the Bills haven't exactly been looking good so far this preseason it's understandable that frustration levels must be rising at OBD.

How can these guys not be thinking about how badly they neglected the QB position? They'll more than likely lose their jobs because of it, so it wouldn't surprise that they could be having heated discussions about it. Brandon is probably the only semi-safe one of the 3. I personally think they should've dumped Tuel instead of Thad. Can't see Tuel ever winning an NFL game.

I agree, I still don't see what these coaches see in Jeff Tuel. Maybe in 3-4 years he might make a good backup QB.

OK what if whaley and Brandon want the new kid to have a legitit shot to compeat for the starting job, and to put him on thursday for most of the game to see what he can do?

MAdness? Weell yeah but sure as H-E_double Hockey sticks be cause for an animated discussion.

Throwing our new JP out there against Detroit might be the best idea. Think back to how Matt Leinert did.

Do we think that the head coaches and GMs on winning teams only speak in even, measured tones, and that they always agree on everything?

We don't know if there is real conflict, but let's say there is. Is that bad? Do we think Levy & Polian or Levy & Butler were always on the same page?

They need to produce. The first game is 12 days away. All you have to do is look at Marrone to know he is under immense pressure. This shouldn't surprise anyone, but nor should we look at it as a bad sign.

Just a thought, but I don't think this is the first time the there have been differences. In February we learned the coaches wanted a new training staff. And it was vetoed from on high by presumably senior management. Coaches leaked their displeasure, forcing Brandon through Chris Brown to say there was no issue and the trainers would remain in place.

Maybe their discussion was about Chris Williams and how he can't stay on the field. Funny how Coach Marrone commented on right side of Oline but didn't say anything about the left side

@JoeBuscaglia

When Chris Williams is healthy enough to play though, he will be the starter at LG Marrone said today. He has missed time recently #Bills

I don't believe EJ was Buddy's pick. At all. It was pretty clear during HC interviews in late 2012/early 2013 that Nix was being pushed aside and the transition had began given Nix's comments about Marrone. No way would any pro organization allow the outgoing GM to pick the player who would most affect the future GM's performance.

Whaley is the guy who went to Florida and scouted him, and he's the guy who walked away impressed after watching him throw in the wind and rain. EJ is all Whaley.

Make it stop. btw does Mike Schoop watch football

" bears are going to be great and Miami is going to be good "

Whats funny is the Bears were OWNED by the Seahawks so badly It made the Bills- Buc's first half look like nothing.

Cutler looked worse the EJ, their first half went 34-0.

The latter. Not to be reptitive, but this s the second time in less then a week all three have been seen having a very animated conversation.

Purely a wild hunch, but I'll speculate that it has something to do with the offensive coaching philosophy. The reason I think it may be that is because there was now a well-known conversation at half time against Tampa which you could speculate was about imploring Marrone to open up the playbook in the second half to give Manuel some confidence.

I could see both Marrone and Hackett getting the boot if they all don't come to a meeting of the minds. I'm sure they didn't go all in on Watkins to use as a decoy for successful dump offs to Spiller/Jackson and passes to Chandler in the seam (if that's what it's about). These public dust ups between Bills leadership figures are very odd given today's "media is everywhere" world.

And there are those who will say, "Well, what do you expect him to say?" but then that's assuming information rather than allowing what is plainly stated speak for itself: EJ was Buddy's pick and to what extent DW had a say in that decision none of us may ever know, and if we do it will be much after the fact...so again, I submit EJ was Buddy's pick and DW was essentially forced to make it work and now there is some panic involved and DW is starting to hit the re-set button, at least possibly having his finger quivering over that re-set button....

The Buddy refusing any notion of stepping down doesn't stick out to you?

The simple fact that Whaley, since Buddy left, has gone out of his way to NOT bring in QBs to challenge EJ in any way, along with basically betting his NFL career on the kid, makes one tend to believe it was his choice and he was and is 100% behind it.

For whatever it's worth, there's this:

Kevin Massare @KevinMassare · 2h

Re group chat: I think Marrone wanted a bigger threat at QB than Palmer.

Sounds like he's speculating, but he has been right in the past.

Sounds believable. If you're gonna get rid of the only QB behind Manuel who's won an NFL game, you better get me a true #2 instead of Palmer, who's a #3 at best.