Bills Release Thad Lewis

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't read the whole 7 pages but I'm going to toss my $0.02 here:

I don't like it.

I get that Thaddeus is not very good and has not played well in pre season.

However he did play well in real games with the starters last year. We won 2 out of 5 and he probably played well enough vs Cinci and NE if the D and kicking teams had been able to help. When the lights come on, he shows up. Even in pre season while his stats weren't good the offense scored points when he was in . 10 vs Carolina which should have been 13 except for a missed FG and 7 vs Steelers.

Tuel is horrible and Palmer hasn't thrown a pass in an NFL game in 4 years or whatever it is. 15 lifetime. Cut 5 times. If EJ goes out we're hanging our season on these clowns?

Maybe we still will get someone else like Ponder or Pryor or Moore or Campbell, but the fact that we are digging through other people's garbage to find a 2nd string QB in the last week of preseason 2 years in a row speaks to utter incompetence. And we can't blame it on Kevin Kolb this year.

And for those who say backup QBs don't matter, I would think of all NFL teams the Bills should know the importance of a good backup. Jeff Hostettler ring a bell? What about Frank Reich? There would be no 4 straight SBs if Marv had a Jeff Tuel caliber backup for Jim Kelly. Another team in our division had a perfect season in which their backup played in about 1/2 the games.

Edited by reddogblitz

This organization refuses to take the QB position seriously

If they did they would hire some people whose sole purpose would be to identify and evaluate QB talent

In 2011 they told us they had no interest in Dalton because they thought Levi Brown was a better pro prospect???

This draft they tell us they are waaaayyy high on Thad Lewis and won't be drafting a developmental prospect

Who is making these terrible calls?

The Bills need to identify and draft/sign a QB EVERY @#@# YEAR until they settle the position

They need to be chucking resources at the single gaping hole that the franchise has had for more than a decade. Why is this so tough??

If they did they would hire some people whose sole purpose would be to identify and evaluate QB talent

In 2011 they told us they had no interest in Dalton because they thought Levi Brown was a better pro prospect???

This draft they tell us they are waaaayyy high on Thad Lewis and won't be drafting a developmental prospect

Who is making these terrible calls?

The Bills need to identify and draft/sign a QB EVERY @#@# YEAR until they settle the position

They need to be chucking resources at the single gaping hole that the franchise has had for more than a decade. Why is this so tough??

A developmental qb would have saved this year?

90% of guys picked after the 2nd round are worthless. It's EJ or bust.

99 44/100% of the guys undrafted are worthless.

Any why is it EJ or bust? It didn't have to be at least not to the extent it is now. It's particularly dumb especially given how injury riddled EJ was last year. Should have been a priority in the off season. Oh well, too late now.

Okay my bad, I forgot. Sixth round.

I already agreed that this is a mistake by signing Palmer and keeping Tuel.

Your logic is just bizarre when you type nonsense like "His arm is so strong that the NFL had to limit him to 15 attempts in actual games over 4 years" Nothing to do with another.

He has a strong arm. If you don't know that, or you want to argue that, you will look more foolish than you do now, which is substantial. ;)

If you had to win a game in the NFL are you really saying you would play Jeff Tuel over Jordan Palmer?

Not that either would win it.

The argument has been whether or not Jordan Palmer is better than Tuel. And Palmer has at least five qualities that gives an NFL QB a chance to succeed. Tuel has zero.

The NFL QB dumpster is filled to the brim with guy with "big arms". No one cares. Every team he has played with has concluded that he can't be ueseful to them as even a backup QB.

If Palmer has all those qualities to succeed in the NFL, why can't you recognize the obvious questions that follow: why hasn't Carson succeeded in the NFL?

Why has he been cut by every team that hired him? Why hasn't he made it through 3 different preseasons without getting cut?

There is no evidence that Carson is better than Tuel. None. His "5 qualities" have proven useless in advancing his career. Why are you even arguing this? Nothing could be more obvious.

A developmental qb would have saved this year?

Who said anything about saving the year?

My point is it should be a focus of every draft and off season until they have a franchise QB

I'm sick of taking the 11th best LB in the 3rd round instead of rolling the dice at the position that is the most important

While I agree that Nix and then Whaley have whiffed at filling the most important role in football. HOwever, I am not on board with the 'draft one every year' philosophy. I lean more towards, get a vet and a rookie so you are covered on the down side but have potential on the up side.

There is no evidence that Carson is better than Tuel. None. His "5 qualities" have proven useless in advancing his career. Why are you even arguing this? Nothing could be more obvious.

I am sure you meant Jordan and not Carson.

What the hell happened to Thad this offseason? He went from a guy who outplayed Brady to a guy who didn't even look like he belonged in the NFL.

Curious isn't it ? I too am wondering what happened.

But I cant believe the Bills are done. There must be a plan to get a vet or something. Right ? Well I hope so anyway

The NFL QB dumpster is filled to the brim with guy with "big arms". No one cares. Every team he has played with has concluded that he can't be ueseful to them as even a backup QB.

If Palmer has all those qualities to succeed in the NFL, why can't you recognize the obvious questions that follow: why hasn't Carson succeeded in the NFL?

Why has he been cut by every team that hired him? Why hasn't he made it through 3 different preseasons without getting cut?

Jordan.

But outside of his college and pro career, his physical stature, NFL football skills, pedigree, experience, arm, and head, you're right, there is nothing about Jordan Palmer better than Jeff Tuel.

And Jordan Palmer stinks.

We got Carson Palmer? That changes everything, I thought it was Jordan.

I don't like it.

However he did play well in real games with the starters last year. We won 2 out of 5 and he probably played well enough vs Cinci and NE if the D and kicking teams had been able to help. When the lights come on, he shows up. Even in pre season while his stats weren't good the offense scored points when he was in . 10 vs Carolina which should have been 13 except for a missed FG and 7 vs Steelers.

Tuel is horrible and Palmer hasn't thrown a pass in an NFL game in 4 years or whatever it is. 15 lifetime. Cut 5 times. If EJ goes out we're hanging our season on these clowns?

Maybe we still will get someone else like Ponder or Pryor or Moore or Campbell, but the fact that we are digging through other people's garbage to find a 2nd string QB in the last week of preseason 2 years in a row speaks to utter incompetence. And we can't blame it on Kevin Kolb this year.

And for those who say backup QBs don't matter, I would think of all NFL teams the Bills should know the importance of a good backup. Jeff Hostettler ring a bell? What about Frank Reich? There would be no 4 straight SBs if Marv had a Jeff Tuel caliber backup for Jim Kelly. Another team in our division had a perfect season in which their backup played in about 1/2 the games.

I would have kept Lewis over Tuel also, and perhaps waited for the final cuts to see if Ponder or Mallett are released.

I don't like it.

Excellent post. Agree with all points. Bills almost have to trade for Ponder now. Thad wasn't a world-beater, but at least he could win you a game. Tuel is a practice squad QB. Palmer has never played.

I don't care how bad Lewis looked in practice/preseason, Jordan Palmer stinks. And he doesn't know the system, where Lewis at least played sorta half decent in five starts last year. I will give the Bills the benefit of the doubt and think that they're not done addressing the QB position for now, but they get no credit for signing Palmer.

I will also say that Whaley's "we're set at backup QB" comments look pretty foolish now. Apologies to the brightsiders, but I worry that his "we didn't mind giving up next year's #1 because we think it'll be in the 20s" comments are going to look just as foolish in a couple months. But back to his backup QB comments for a second, they bothered me at the time, even though I liked what Lewis did last year and was okay with bringing him back as the #2. Whaley said something to the effect of, "you want your backup QB to be able to go .500 for you, and Lewis was 2-3." First off, I'm no mathematician, but I'm pretty sure 2-3 is below .500, so Whaley's statement just didn't make sense right off the bat. Second of all, it's weird for the GM of a 6-10 team to be talking about the backup going .500. Forget about the backup, how about getting the starter to go .500? It's been a while since we've even been there. And third, it's just an asinine thing to say. NFL coach/GM-speak is all about "we're always looking to improve everywhere" and "competition makes everyone better", etc. Which I think is mostly BS, but there is something to it -- complacency is bad when the margins are as thin as they are in the NFL. To then turn around and say that you're not even going to attempt to improve THE MOST IMPORTANT POSITION is crazy. What makes it even crazier is to say that your justification is that all you want out of your backup is to go .500. Well sure, you can live with your backup going .500, but why wouldn't you burn some calories and try to find the diamond in the rough that can go .600? Maybe you can pull a Matt Cassel and trade him for a 2nd-rounder the following year. And what's more, the guy that you're being complacent about didn't even go .500! You're acting like Lewis was Frank Reich or something.

While I agree that Nix and then Whaley have whiffed at filling the most important role in football. HOwever, I am not on board with the 'draft one every year' philosophy. I lean more towards, get a vet and a rookie so you are covered on the down side but have potential on the up side.

I am sure you meant Jordan and not Carson.

Curious isn't it ? I too am wondering what happened.

But I cant believe the Bills are done. There must be a plan to get a vet or something. Right ? Well I hope so anyway

Oops! Palmer. Jeez is Carson Palmer still in the NFL?!

Jordan.

But outside of his college and pro career, his physical stature, NFL football skills, pedigree, experience, arm, and head, you're right, there is nothing about Jordan Palmer better than Jeff Tuel.

And Jordan Palmer stinks.

What pro career? What NFL skills? What experience? He's never started a game. Tuel has more in season experience on the field already than Palmer, who has been bouncing around various NFL benches for now his 5th year.

Oops! Palmer. Jeez is Carson Palmer still in the NFL?!

What pro career? What NFL skills? What experience? He's never started a game. Tuel has more in season experience on the field already than Palmer, who has been bouncing around various NFL benches for now his 5th year.

If you don't count 7 years being on NFL teams in camps and preseason games and on the active roster for four of them more experience than 1.2 years, you have severe trouble with common sense or math or both.