Here Is A Laugh

...And he is building a Pinewood Derby car. Of course he has entrusted me with helping him build a car of his choice. Let me leave you tonight with his choice of car... Of course, totally his own!

A LIMOUSINE!

What a chip off the ole block... A "Limousine Liberal" in the making?

Don't you just hate it when somebody drives around in one of those things telling how they will spend your money?

Of course it will be exactly 5 oz. (limit) and hopefully I will get you pictures when it is done (body is already cut).

All in good humor...

:doh::doh::blink:

Im surprised a pantie-wearing whining lib like yourself even let your son be part of such a God-pushing, evangelical, ultra right-wing uptight organization like the BSA. But enjoy the Derby anyway.  :doh:

220190[/snapback]

See... Don't judge a book by its cover. I have been innvolved with the BSA all my life. Now is the time to pass on that scouting tradition and my accomplishments to my son.

All I say to people like you is: READ MORE CAREFULLY, you will be less likely to stereotype.

:doh:

See... Don't judge a book by its cover.  I have been innvolved with the BSA all my life.  Now is the time to pass on that scouting tradition and my accomplishments to my son.

All I say to people like you is:  READ MORE CAREFULLY, you will be less likely to stereotype.

:lol:

220391[/snapback]

Very nice. Thanks.

I truly hate all the heat the BSA is getting these days, just becuase they utter the word 'God' and have some religious underpinnings. Anyone who has been within ten feet of the BSA knows that although there is a recognition of religion (awards like Parvuli Dei and mention of God in the oath), the Scouts are doing anything BUT "pushing God" like some would have you believe.

Its truly a wonderful organization and IMO, the Pinewood Derby, the idea of parent helping child to build something and then using it in competition against others, is one of the most perfect things ever created to enhance the parent/child relationship. That, and Ice Cream.

Enjoy every minute of it, EII. Its truly a wonderful experience.

I truly hate all the heat the BSA is getting these days, just becuase they utter the word 'God' and have some religious underpinnings.

Well if you're going to promote certain religious beliefs and exclude gays while wanting to use public facilities, it should be expected that you're going to encounter some opposition.

My dad helped me with my car when I was in Boy Scouts, and I helped my son with his a couple years ago. We made it aerodynamic, but in the end it comes down to who has their weights positioned best and has the right powder to make the wheels turn faster.

When I was in it, we also made pinewood rockets with rubberband propellers on the front that would race down a string or wire.

Well if you're going to promote certain religious beliefs and exclude gays while wanting to use public facilities, it should be expected that you're going to encounter some opposition

[rolling eyes]

WHAT "certain" religious beliefs are they "promoting", exactly? There are OPTIONAL (do you undestand the meaning of that word?) awards for ALL religions and simply a mention that a scout is "reverent". That's it.

People like the ACLU and others, like with most of their attacks on all things religion, make it appear that BSA and similar groups pound pound pound religion down people's throats. As ANYONE who has been NEAR the BSA can attest, that is utter bull sh--.

[rolling eyes]

WHAT "certain" religious beliefs are they "promoting", exactly? There are OPTIONAL (do you undestand the meaning of that word?) awards for ALL religions and simply a mention that a scout is "reverent". That's it.

People like the ACLU and others, like with most of their attacks on all things religion, make it appear that BSA and similar groups pound pound pound religion down people's throats. As ANYONE who has been NEAR the BSA can attest, that is utter bull sh--.

220697[/snapback]

It is not "optional". You are not allowed to be a scout leader without professing a belief in a higher power. Granted, the BSA doesn't insist you declare an allegiance to the monotheistic christian God, but atheism or agnosticism is NOT an option. In addition, a scout candidate for any of thier levels of Boy Scouting, Tenderfoot and on up must do the same.

Do they "pound religion" down peoles throats??, absolutely not. Nor is it optional. One might argue that because they do not insist on any particluar "God", it is therefore not a big deal. I would caution against that thinking in that it could represent what others refer to here as the "slippery slope". not in this thread of course, but in others.

I personally don't think it is a big deal. I have, however, worked professionaly with the BSA for the past 13 years, albeit indirectly as opposed to directly. I don't actually think it is a big deal professionaly either, they have far bigger issues to deal with.

It is not, and most likely will never be "optional".

Well if you're going to promote certain religious beliefs and exclude gays while wanting to use public facilities, it should be expected that you're going to encounter some opposition.

I was in Boy Scouts and never remember any reference to religion.

Also, what does excluding gays have to do with use of public facilities?

The exclusion of gays is based on religious beliefs that homosexuality is a sin, and therefore creates a church vs state issue. The BSA is free to do whatever they want, just not in a government funded meeting place, unless there is equal access for all.

The exclusion of gays is based on religious beliefs that homosexuality is a sin, and therefore creates a church vs state issue.  The BSA is free to do whatever they want, just not in a government funded meeting place, unless there is equal access for all.

220793[/snapback]

That's horsesh!t.

What the Constitution forbids is the ESTASBLISHMENT of religion, not the free expression of it, even if it IS in public places.

That's where you loonies are wrong.

And I'm not religious, BTW.

The exclusion of gays is based on religious beliefs that homosexuality is a sin, and therefore creates a church vs state issue.  The BSA is free to do whatever they want, just not in a government funded meeting place, unless there is equal access for all.

220793[/snapback]

What if the exclusion of gays is just based on the fact that I want my 8 y/o son to grow up with normal hetrosexual influences?

Just because you make assumptions about motivations and invent some link to religion in your head doesn't make it so.

220793[/snapback]

Find me one law on the books where it says that in order to use goverment funded facilities, the group using them must be open to all individuals and/or must 100% not have any activities of a religious nature.