The Bills' method of losing is unsustainable

The title is a bit of a joke based on a thread from a few years ago when we were 4-1, largely resulting from a large turnover differential in our favor. It will be clear to me that anyone who responds with some numbskull comment about 15 seasons of sustainable losing did not actually read the post.

It seems many here are ready to throw in the towel (or have already done so) based on one half of football where three separate players caused three costly turnovers. This leaves a sour taste in my mouth, and it doesn't bode well that the team completely self destructed in the first half.

With that said, IMO it is very unlikely that we will see these kind of ball security issues (at least at this level) continue. And if you take away (or reduce) the turnovers, I think Saturday's game looks very different, and maybe the panic / hysteria is slightly reduced?

I'm not saying it's good that we had so many turnovers, I'm not saying we should overlook the loss, or the way the team seemed to fall apart after a few bad plays, although I did take some comfort in the fact that they seemed to rebound in the second half. I'm not even saying I'm optimistic going into this season.

I am saying it's usually not as bad as you think after a loss, and it's usually not as good as you think after a win (or even when you're 4-1.) We'll see where things shake out, but I'm not ready to give up just yet.

Edited by Captain Caveman

The title is a bit of a joke based on a thread from a few years ago when we were 4-1, largely resulting from a large turnover differential in our favor. It will be clear to me that anyone who responds with some numbskull comment about 15 seasons of sustainable losing did not actually read the post.

It seems many here are ready to throw in the towel (or have already done so) based on one half of football where three separate players caused three costly turnovers. This leaves a sour taste in my mouth, and it doesn't bode well that the team completely self destructed in the first half.

With that said, IMO it is very unlikely that we will see these kind of ball security issues (at least at this level) continue. And if you take away (or reduce) the turnovers, I think Saturday's game looks very different, and maybe the panic / hysteria is slightly reduced?

I'm not saying it's good that we had so many turnovers, I'm not saying we should overlook the loss, or the way the team seemed to fall apart after a few bad plays, although I did take some comfort in the fact that they seemed to rebound in the second half. I'm not even saying I'm optimistic going into this season.

I am saying it's usually not as bad as you think after a loss, and it's usually not as good as you think after a win (or even when you're 4-1.) We'll see where things shake out, but I'm not ready to give up just yet.

Agree. (and remember the reference)

I said the same thing in a discussion in real life.

Chandler isn't going to fall to the ground before the pass arrives, EJ isn't going to fumble when getting sacked, and Spiller isn't going to fumble every game (well Spiller may fumble every other game.)

If you think the mistakes on Saturday are a result of being unprepared then yes it will be a long season.

If you think the mistakes on Saturday were just unfortunate series of events that isn't likely to repeat well then there is still hope.

I personally haven't decided but I have an open mind.

Agree. (and remember the reference)

I said the same thing in a discussion in real life.

Chandler isn't going to fall to the ground before the pass arrives, EJ isn't going to fumble when getting sacked, and Spiller isn't going to fumble every game (well Spiller may fumble every other game.)

If you think the mistakes on Saturday are a result of being unprepared then yes it will be a long season.

If you think the mistakes on Saturday were just unfortunate series of events that isn't likely to repeat well then there is still hope.

I personally haven't decided but I have an open mind.

Coincidentally, "unfortunate series of events that isn't likely to repeat" has been our rationale for 15 years.

Its my opinion that the Bills can continue to lose well into the foreseeable future. Its more than just turnovers. Over the past 15 years we've seen losses which defied the laws of physics wherein a forward pass moved backward, iced the kicker before a failed attempt, last second missed field goals, defensive breakdowns, INTs, fumbles, muffed punts, special teams meltdowns, total mismanagement of the clock, even divine intervention. The Bills methods for losing are so broadly diversified that they can overcome any lucky break, favorable bounce or preferential call and snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Is that saying even true? I would think it would be darkest at the time in between sunset and sunrise (not accounting for moon fullness, clouds, etc....)

well..that is before the dawn no?

and 15 years of losing is unsustainable :nana:

Anyways, good post!

BTW, you do know that EJ's inaccuracy made Chandler fall and CJ fumble no?

Also, EJ caused the Bucs first fumble to fly directly into the hands of one of their OL...he just flat out does not belong in the NFL

I agree with the notion of not worry about individual plays like turnovers etc. The ball can bounce badly for the opponent just as well.

My biggest issue is the Oline not being ready this close to the regular season in the second year for our QB, head coach and offensive coordinator.

Whaley brings in the players

Hackett sets up the plays

EJ handles the ball

Marrone was supposed to use his extensive NFL expertise with offensive lines to have this issue handled by now. We already had Cordy and Eric Wood when he got here. A very poor time to whiff on our #2 pick this year. We let Andy go and did a really poor job of getting a decent replacement. We don't have the kind of qb that can make up for bad line play.

This is my concern.

(i DO remember the unsustainable thread btw.)