New York Farm Owners Fined For Refusing To Host Gay Marriage

3rdnlng

Seriously, that this story made headlines is ridiculous. NY State, !@#$ you.

So? So what? It's my land, let me see you step on it without permission. Farm or no farm, no one would ever find you.

Why do customers get to dictate how a business should be run? NY < NC

http://www.the-dispatch.com/article/20110315/NEWS/303159978

So your arguments are basically a death threat and an "it's not fair!"? How very reasoned and thought-provoking.

You, at least, are usually much better than this.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you ever let your mind wander away from the national review, real clear politics, glen beck, Fox News, etc, etc... you might actually consider a viewpoint that contradicts your narrow worldview. Of course the chances of that happening are likely about the same as Jesus Christ coming down for the rapture, ascending to the clouds with all of you lunatics and throwing all of us crazy non-fairy-tale-believing heathens into hellfire for all of eternity. You know, cause that's just how your compassionate god (who loves us all) rolls. But I digress...

Reading the judge's ruling on actual news sites, it appears that private residence does not apply to these two knuckleheads because they advertise to the public, provide service to the public and are therefore not considered a private residence. You could, for example, live above your very own bar, restaurant, hotel or b&b while not legally being allowed to keep me or anyone else out of your public place of business for any discriminatory reasons whatsoever. The lesson is, I you want your business to service the public, you're not allowed to act like a bigoted a-hole no matter how you want to justify it. God bless 'Merica.

:)

Well, that is one judge's opinion. The owner of a property that is a duplex who lives in 1/2 of it can discriminate against anyone. They also advertise to the public that they have an apartment for rent. I think it is very telling that NYS gets 10k while the girls get 3k combined. I was just busting your non-existent balls about being Godless, like I always have. You are the one that brought religion into this.

So your arguments are basically a death threat and an "it's not fair!"? How very reasoned and thought-provoking.

You, at least, are usually much better than this.

Kind of missed my point. In a land, at least where I am at, you might just find yourself killed over such nonsense. It's not something I would do, but I know a few people that get down and dirty. A neighbor leading hunters off his land at gun point until the Sheriff arrives, another with full cameras and an electric fence with signs about Christianity, forbidding homosexuals, and such - and he actually does have a business there. Silver Valley, well, hell, until the 90's there were signs reminding black folks that it's not a good idea to head that way.

It's not that it is not fair. I am sure if there was a shop or store or anything by homosexuals they would do anything but embrace a Jehovah's Witness or Catholic. I have seen Christians decline Muslims. Whites deny blacks. Blacks deny whites. Everyone deny Hispanics. All sorts, but I promise you, the only one that always makes headlines - denying a homosexual. Followed by a black person. Why? Because we are one f'd up country that cares way too much about things that don't matter one bit.

It's not meant to be thought provoking. I am just telling it like it is. I know more then a few people who might just shoot you before they'd ask you to leave if they did not like your race, sexuality, or religious beliefs.

Well, that is one judge's opinion. The owner of a property that is a duplex who lives in 1/2 of it can discriminate against anyone. They also advertise to the public that they have an apartment for rent. I think it is very telling that NYS gets 10k while the girls get 3k combined. I was just busting your non-existent balls about being Godless, like I always have. You are the one that brought religion into this.

You keep clinging to the ability of a private homeowner to discriminate when renting. The private homeowner may very well advertise the listing publicly, but does not service multiple public customers in the same way as these christian farmers, but feel free to keep talking about renting out half of your doublewide. :)

At the root, this is absolutely all about their intolerance of gay marriage based on religion. This is a fight that bigoted people all over the country keep losing over and over again.

Kind of missed my point. In a land, at least where I am at, you might just find yourself killed over such nonsense. It's not something I would do, but I know a few people that get down and dirty. A neighbor leading hunters off his land at gun point until the Sheriff arrives, another with full cameras and an electric fence with signs about Christianity, forbidding homosexuals, and such - and he actually does have a business there. Silver Valley, well, hell, until the 90's there were signs reminding black folks that it's not a good idea to head that way.

It's not that it is not fair. I am sure if there was a shop or store or anything by homosexuals they would do anything but embrace a Jehovah's Witness or Catholic. I have seen Christians decline Muslims. Whites deny blacks. Blacks deny whites. Everyone deny Hispanics. All sorts, but I promise you, the only one that always makes headlines - denying a homosexual. Followed by a black person. Why? Because we are one f'd up country that cares way too much about things that don't matter one bit.

It's not meant to be thought provoking. I am just telling it like it is. I know more then a few people who might just shoot you before they'd ask you to leave if they did not like your race, sexuality, or religious beliefs.

Well there are xenophobic a-holes everywhere, but that certainly doesn't make any of the actions you describe moral, right or legal. The old die off, the young grow old and the zeitgeist moves on. Hardcore wingnuts of today would probably have been considered bleeding heart libs a few decades ago.

The south is traditionally slower to change, but change is inevitable. Personally, I have a hard time finding any sympathy at all for those who try to dig their heels in when told to treat other human beings with some compassion and respect. Whatever happened to "do unto others"? To me, these NC Christian neighbors of yours come across a lot more like Hitler than like Jesus.

Edited by Gene Frenkle

Well there are xenophobic a-holes everywhere, but that certainly doesn't make any of the actions you describe moral, right or legal. The old die off, the young grow old and the zeitgeist moves on. Hardcore wingnuts of today would probably have been considered bleeding heart libs a few decades ago.

The south is traditionally slower to change, but change is inevitable. Personally, I have a hard time finding any sympathy at all for those who try to dig their heels in when told to treat other human beings with some compassion and respect. Whatever happened to "do unto others"? To me, these NC Christian neighbors of yours come across a lot more like Hitler than like Jesus.

But, odd, because they're not exactly forcing anyone to do anything. No one has to enter their land or use their services. In fact, the state is more like Hitler. They're forcing "state" ideals on the individual.

You keep clinging to the ability of a private homeowner to discriminate when renting. The private homeowner may very well advertise the listing publicly, but does not service multiple public customers in the same way as these christian farmers, but feel free to keep talking about renting out half of your doublewide. :)

At the root, this is absolutely all about their intolerance of gay marriage based on religion. This is a fight that bigoted people all over the country keep losing over and over again.

I don't have a double wide you twit, it's single wide all the way. Anyway, the article has no mention of religion and your attempt to make this about that contrary to the law is laughable. The farm owners were within their rights.

I don't have a double wide you twit, it's single wide all the way. Anyway, the article has no mention of religion and your attempt to make this about that contrary to the law is laughable. The farm owners were within their rights.

Sorry, didn't mean to overestimate your estate. :)

Like I said, you need to move outside your red state comfort zone once in a while. You must constantly walk in around in clockwise circles from all the spin you feed yourself.

From the farmers' lawyer:

“Liberty Ridge Farm . has employed gay people and has conducted events for same-sex couples,” Trainor said. “The Giffords’ objection was to hosting and participating in the wedding ceremony itself and not to providing service in general to lesbians.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/religion/farm-owners-fined-for-saying-no-to-lesbian-wedding/2014/08/19/1cfe5ca2-27dd-11e4-8b10-7db129976abb_story.html

But, odd, because they're not exactly forcing anyone to do anything. No one has to enter their land or use their services. In fact, the state is more like Hitler. They're forcing "state" ideals on the individual.

State ideals like treating all US citizens equally? How dare they! I love how this is making you anti states rights all of a sudden. This is very entertaining. Thanks for posting the original article.

Public companies must abide by anti-discrimination laws. Part of the "cost" of doing business within the state I suppose...treating others as you would like to be treated if you were in their shoes. There's some kind of famous quote along those lines in some old book I think. I can't quite remember who was supposed to have said it. Can you?

Sorry, didn't mean to overestimate your estate. :)

Like I said, you need to move outside your red state comfort zone once in a while. You must constantly walk in around in clockwise circles from all the spin you feed yourself.

From the farmers' lawyer:

"Liberty Ridge Farm . has employed gay people and has conducted events for same-sex couples," Trainor said. "The Giffords' objection was to hosting and participating in the wedding ceremony itself and not to providing service in general to lesbians."

http://www.washingto...6abb_story.html

So, that makes this about religion? Whether it does or not is not germane here. Why should anyone be forced to participate in a ceremony that is against their Christian/Islamic/Hindi/Pagan/Atheist beliefs?

So, that makes this about religion? Whether it does or not is not germane here. Why should anyone be forced to participate in a ceremony that is against their Christian/Islamic/Hindi/Pagan/Atheist beliefs?

Truly . . . Should I begin to picket the local Jewish deli for not serving bacon? Where does it end?

I find it amazing the GF continues this thread with how "bigot's" are ruining america for him and other progressives, and yet remains completely clueless about the intrusion on personal rights by the state. Madison and Jefferson are spinning in their graves over this . . . It has nothing to do with being "enlightened..." It has everything to do with the state enforcing its beliefs on individual citizens.

And the progressive crowd (likely brandishing their laminated ACLU and Amnesty Int'l membership cards) are leading the charge with torches and pitchforks hunting down the "bigots."

Truly . . . Should I begin to picket the local Jewish deli for not serving bacon? Where does it end?

I find it amazing the GF continues this thread with how "bigot's" are ruining america for him and other progressives, and yet remains completely clueless about the intrusion on personal rights by the state. Madison and Jefferson are spinning in their graves over this . . . It has nothing to do with being "enlightened..." It has everything to do with the state enforcing its beliefs on individual citizens.

And the progressive crowd (likely brandishing their laminated ACLU and Amnesty Int'l membership cards) are leading the charge with torches and pitchforks hunting down the "bigots."

Jewish delis are not forced to serve bacon because that's not what they do. Wedding ceremonies are on the menu at the farm, which is why the only part of your post that might be considered an argument is completely illogical and retarded. The rest is just another tired rant with a lot of pretty buzzwords. I'd say nice try, but it really wasn't. This is getting boring now.

The farmers broke the law, plain and simple.

Jewish delis are not forced to serve bacon because that's not what they do. Wedding ceremonies are on the menu at the farm, which is why the only part of your post that might be considered an argument is completely illogical and retarded. The rest is just another tired rant with a lot of pretty buzzwords. I'd say nice try, but it really wasn't. This is getting boring now.

So, you are saying that the farmers broke a law by declining to host and participate in a ceremony that they didn't want to? That they broke a law by not giving up part of their residence for the evening for wedding night activities?

Broke what law? The petty, everybody get on the PC Express Law? Then yes, for the first time in your life you're correct. Otherwise, please tell me how the state isn't forcing the property owners, or any NY State citizen, to jump on the PC train?

Allow homosexual marriages on your property or we'll fine you $13K is not a good replacement for Excelsior . . .

My point is simply that the state should not be allowed to fine or force people to do things that are against their legitimate beliefs. Spare me the Housing discrimination crap. they didn't refuse to rent an apartment to them. They refused to hold the ceremony on the property but were willing to hold the reception . . . How is that discriminatory?

Gotta love the fact that the property owners have to be "re-educated" as well. . . . I don't give a flying f*** at a rolling do-nut as to how anyone lives their life. When it intrudes on my constitutionally protected right to practice religion freely, the state should be there to protect me, not fine me and force me to do things that violate my personal beliefs, however PC they may be at the moment.

I VERY surprised that i didn't get the knuckle-dragging, Faux News loving, right wing invective. Instead i just got "i'm bored." :cry: Oh, and I got called "retarded" too. Nice. . . How's that working into your progressive mindset? You've just offended every person on this board who has a "special needs" child or relative.

You're a real bleeding heart there GF , , , Or is your love for all of humanity only reserved for those whose beliefs fit your paradigm? Apparently, those afflicted with Down's Syndrome need not apply.

Edited by Philly McButterpants

The customers are not public, they are private individuals, choosing to engage, or not, in a mutually agreed upon exchange of goods and services.

You advocate for laws that force private exchanges that are not mutually agreed upon.

That's tyrannical.

What law? Seriously, quote the law. Seems like you feel that anyone that disagrees with you is either breaking the law or is just plain wrong. What's next, making us all become atheists because that is your belief?

What law? Seriously, quote the law. Seems like you feel that anyone that disagrees with you is either breaking the law or is just plain wrong. What's next, making us all become atheists because that is your belief?

I'm no lawyer, but this was pretty easy to find...specifically N.Y. EXC. LAW 296.2(a)

N.Y. EXC. LAW 296 : NY Code - Section 296: Unlawful discriminatory practices

2. (a) It shall be an unlawful discriminatory practice for any person, being the owner, lessee, proprietor, manager, superintendent, agent or employee of any place of public accommodation, resort or amusement, because of the race, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation, military status, sex, or disability or marital status of any person, directly or indirectly, to refuse, withhold from or deny to such person any of the accommodations, advantages, facilities or privileges thereof, including the extension of credit, or, directly or indirectly, to publish, circulate, issue, display, post or mail any written or printed communication, notice or advertisement, to the effect that any of the accommodations, advantages, facilities and privileges of any such place shall be refused, withheld from or denied to any person on account of race, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation, military status, sex, or disability or marital status, or that the patronage or custom thereat of any person of or purporting to be of any particular race, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation, military status, sex or marital status, or having a disability is unwelcome, objectionable or not acceptable, desired or solicited.

http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/nycode/EXC/15/296

Next up: Mrs. Frenkle advocates for non-existent laws to prevent the Rams from cutting Michael Sam.

Timely post about non-existent laws, dumbass! :D

Friggin morons...next time do your own research. I should be charging for the education you mouth-breathers are receiving here. lol

All in good fun of course! :)