Kyle Orton vs EJ Manuel

disco

This isn't a hate on EJ posting. I look at this team and think it's got the right mix to make the playoffs. The exception is simply Quarterback. I don't know if EJ will be a good QB or not, but it seems he's probably not ready to lead a team to the playoffs in 2 weeks. There's really nothing wrong with this, plenty of QBs benefit from a few years as a 2nd string.

If we brought in Kyle Orton (he's my best case decent vetern QB that's available) do you think we make the playoffs? I'm talking about if we brought him in tomorrow. I feel like having Spiller in a contract year, FredEx at still a productive point in his career, Woods, Johnson, and Watkins at WR, and the strong defense...you just need an average QB to get there.

I understand it's going to be EJ. Ironically I feel like it might be best for Marrone, Whaley, Brandon, and EJ if went to a backup role for the year learning while completely healthy. If he does poorly this year, some or all of those individuals are probably looking for a job.

Thoughts? Would Kyle Orton, lack of prep time withstanding, still end up providing a better season record than EJ? (I'm assuming he's in football shape ready to play; I don't really know)

Edited by disco

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want Orton.

If Orton comes, he starts. He is just too much better than our QBs to sit the bench.

EJ refuses to throw the ball downfield. He seems to "look" downfield only to give the backs enuf time to get open in the flat.

And dont give me that crap about "oh, how do you know what play was called? Blah blah blah." EJ hasnt even tried. He doesnt WANT to throw downfield. He wants to throw to guys who are obviously open.

If Orton was the Bills' starting QB, people would be bitching about his inability to throw deep and his penchant for coming up small in pressure situations. Orton is a good backup QB who has plateaued as a safe game manager type who can only take a team so far. I'd be happy to have at OBD him over both Tuel and Lewis of course.

Not sure if he wants to play or sign here, but Orton would be a fine addition to the team right now. For the first 6-8 weeks he would be the #3 and if EJ went down for a half or a game or a couple games, the leftover, Tuel or Lewis would come in. But if we are having a decent year, which is entirely possible, and EJ gets hurt halfway through the year, which is entirely possible, would you rather have Orton for the rest of the year after being here for two months, or Jeff Tuel?

It's an easy answer.

I want Orton.

If Orton comes, he starts. He is just too much better than our QBs to sit the bench.

EJ refuses to throw the ball downfield. He seems to "look" downfield only to give the backs enuf time to get open in the flat.

And dont give me that crap about "oh, how do you know what play was called? Blah blah blah." EJ hasnt even tried. He doesnt WANT to throw downfield. He wants to throw to guys who are obviously open.

This is simply not reality.

If Orton was the Bills' starting QB, people would be bitching about his inability to throw deep and his penchant for coming up small in pressure situations. Orton is a good backup QB who has plateaued as a safe game manager type who can only take a team so far. I'd be happy to have at OBD him over both Tuel and Lewis of course.

I'll take "inability" over "unwillingness." We have too many good WRs to not even give them a chance to make a play.

If he has "plateaued as a game manager" then he is already where EJ is heading.

EJ doesnt ever use his "big" arm, he doesnt use his legs, he isnt accurate, and he refuses to throw the long ball. To me, that's career game manager at his ceiling. If he ever gets there.

This is simply not reality.

No, its hyperbole. I saw one of the local writers termed it that way and it resonated with me.

I'll take "inability" over "unwillingness." We have too many good WRs to not even give them a chance to make a play.

EJ doesnt ever use his "big" arm, he doesnt use his legs, he isnt accurate, and he refuses to throw the long ball. To me, that's career game manager at his ceiling. If he ever gets there.

No, its hyperbole. I saw one of the local writers termed it that way and it resonated with me.

So you recognize "exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally" and then choose to repeat them as your own realistic views?

Have you watched any preseason games? EJ has been targeting Woods and Williams prominently thus far on deep outs and comeback routes. He's given really Williams a few chances to make plays down field when he's been tightly covered most notably in the HOF-Giant and Carolina games. Your assessment is off base.

With the way the OL played (lots of penalties, inopportune penalties) there are very few QBs in the NFL who could QB this team to the playoffs.

EJ threw the ball reasonably well (he still has a lot of work to do) for the most part, when he had time.

I'm not suggesting he can be the guy or will be the guy. But with horrible OL play like that, it's really hard to know.

Edited by The Dean

Would you say he's unable or unwilling to do better?

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt, so unwilling. But it very well may turn out to be unable. ;)

He's had a few Deep targets but dismal completions. After that mess,year, throw it in the clouds 2 outta 3 times and let MW and Sammy contest them.

Well, to be fair, Sammy wasn't in the game, and when he did it to Williams, it worked.