Should he (T.O.) play or not play in Jax?

...this is an interesting conundrum as the Iggles prepare for their Feb. 6 date with NE in Jax.

T.O.'s surgeon, Dr. Mark Myerson, will not give him authorized clearance to play, as he indicated the rehab time frame (8-10 weeks) is outside the realm of possibility. He believes T.O. could put his career at risk if he decides to play in advance of that timetable. Myerson is covering his * so as not to assume liability for further injury if T.O. gets hurt in Jax, and it is within his right--medically and morally, to do so. He says that accelerating the rehab poses the same risk of injury.

The Iggles' trainer, Rick Burkholder, sees the picture differently. He notes that T.O. has rehabbed his ankle at a feverish pace and will see later in the week once T.O. tries to run and/or cut if he can indeed practice next week in Jax.

There was talk in Philly that if Owens does play, he would be a "#3" receiver. Regardless, I'm inclined to agree with the surgeon on this one. T.O. would be taking a sizable risk, imho. Would he be hurting his team's chances by playing on an ankle that undoubtedly will be not close to 100 percent healthy.

The Iggles need to prepare for NE with the mindset that T.O. will not compete. They've already turned one page by re-signing Jeff Thomason to replace injured TE Chad Lewis (that would be quite a story if guy two years out of football in construction industry scores a TD in the game).

Your comments, please...

Obviously the Superbowl is the biggest game that TO will ever play in. Players strive their entire lives just to get the opportunity to play in one. And there are certainly no guarantees that TO will ever get back to the big dance.

That being said, his entire livelyhood is playing football. Feeding his family (and his ego, etc) is all accomplished by playing ball. So it is quite a quandry. Does he try to play thinking this may be his only shot and risk potentially damaging his ankle and maybe never being able to play ball again? Or does he play it safe and sit to prepare for next year?

With an ego as big as any athlete on the planet (and by definition, all pro athletes have giant egos), it will KILL him not to be on the field next Sunday. But in the end he has to do what is best for him and his family which is NOT to play.

If he tries to gut it out, he could cause more damage or hurt his own team by taking snaps away from healthy players...

Just my two (rambling) cents.

This is the best point in your post:

"Myerson is covering his * so as not to assume liability for further injury if T.O. gets hurt in Jax"

What will happen here is will find out what kind of person TO is.

He should already be perfectly financially stable. (for him, his kids, so on).

A true "football player" would play if AT ALL possible. Ask Jim Kelly if he could go back and play one more.

ASK BARRY SANDERS if he could go back and play in one, even if it might mean hurting himself...

Then there's TO.

This will be a defining moment in his career.

...this is an interesting conundrum as the Iggles prepare for their Feb. 6 date with NE in Jax.

T.O.'s surgeon, Dr. Mark Myerson, will not give him authorized clearance to play, as he indicated the rehab time frame (8-10 weeks) is outside the realm of possibility.  He believes T.O. could put his career at risk if he decides to play in advance of that timetable.  Myerson is covering his * so as not to assume liability for further injury if T.O. gets hurt in Jax, and it is within his right--medically and morally, to do so.  He says that accelerating the rehab poses the same risk of injury.

The Iggles' trainer, Rick Burkholder, sees the picture differently.  He notes that T.O. has rehabbed his ankle at a feverish pace and will see later in the week once T.O. tries to run and/or cut if he can indeed practice next week in Jax. 

There was talk in Philly that if Owens does play, he would be a "#3" receiver.  Regardless, I'm inclined to agree with the surgeon on this one.  T.O. would be taking a sizable risk, imho.  Would he be hurting his team's chances by playing on an ankle that undoubtedly will be not close to 100 percent healthy.

The Iggles need to prepare for NE with the mindset that T.O. will not compete.  They've already turned one page by re-signing Jeff Thomason to replace injured TE Chad Lewis (that would be quite a story if guy two years out of football in construction industry scores a TD in the game).

Your comments, please...

219921[/snapback]

My comment is that a receiver so vulnerable to injury (career injury) would be dumb to line up against a guy like Rodney Harrison.

He is the real life Rod Tidwell....he will play. This is the perfect dramatic effect for TO.

Will he be effective at all is the question? Will the Pats defense scheme to him or ignore him....makes this even more intriguing...

My comment is that a receiver so vulnerable to injury (career injury) would be dumb to line up against a guy like Rodney Harrison.

219924[/snapback]

That's a great point that I didn't even consider...and I HATE Harrison. How did I miss that? :doh:

219924[/snapback]

Well, it's not like anyone would expect Harrison to tackle TO by that ankle, now would they?

If he enters the game, my guess is that whoever covers him will make a running start toward him at the line of scrimmage and dive helmet first toward that ankle. Crennell probably has all his DBs practicing the timing of the hit all week. TO will go down in a crumpled heap like a pile of TP, and the refs will keep their flags in their pockets because the hit occurred within the 5-yard chuck zone.

A true "football player" would play if AT ALL possible. Ask Jim Kelly if he could go back and play one more.

219923[/snapback]

I'm glad you picked Jimbo for the "tough bastard" example.......I think too many people on here forget what a warrior he was. Hell, there were games when Jimbo took such a pounding that he probably didn't even know what his name was.......but that didn't stop him from trying to WIN. Everyone always says how there will never be another this guy or that guy.......and unfortunately, there will never be another Jim Kelly.

If TO wants to play, let him.  It shows character to risk further injury in order to try and help your team win, unlike John Abraham (although TO got paid and paid well).  Even if as a decoy, TO will have value in the game.

220161[/snapback]

you think Boobie Miles risked further injury to help his team? or to help himself

/assuming you saw friday night lights

I think the whole 'he could risk his career if he plays' argument is really silly. It's an ankle injury. Even if he plays and hurts himself there's nothing that's going to happen that would hurt his career down the road. And I can't imagine there'd be anything that could happen that would keep him from training camp.

Now whether he'd be effective if he played is another story, and none of us can answer that.

I think the whole 'he could risk his career if he plays' argument is really silly.  It's an ankle injury.  Even if he plays and hurts himself there's nothing that's going to happen that would hurt his career down the road.  And I can't imagine there'd be anything that could happen that would keep him from training camp.

Now whether he'd be effective if he played is another story, and none of us can answer that.

220225[/snapback]

It's not JUST an ankle injury. It's a spiral fracture of the Fibula. That is a NASTY injury that will have long term effects if not properly treated.

I have seen two players get that injury and neither one could ever come back full form...and they did the proper rehab.

Obviously neither was the athlete that Terrell is, but still. He has a broken bone, you go out and re-break it then it will forever be weak and it will slow him down.

I think the whole 'he could risk his career if he plays' argument is really silly.  It's an ankle injury.  Even if he plays and hurts himself there's nothing that's going to happen that would hurt his career down the road.

220225[/snapback]

That's a pretty shallow argument. There is plenty that could happen that COULD alter TO's career in such a way that he is no longer the player he was.

Personally, I can't even imagine the difficulty coming to a decision on this one. I'm certain if he takes one step on the field every Patriot player will be gunning for that ankle. It could really mess up that ankle.

That's a pretty shallow argument. There is plenty that could happen that COULD alter TO's career in such a way that he is no longer the player he was.

Personally, I can't even imagine the difficulty coming to a decision on this one. I'm certain if he takes one step on the field every Patriot player will be gunning for that ankle. It could really mess up that ankle.

220457[/snapback]

They don't need all 11 to go after it. They have the best in the business. Harrison can get the job done.

The only problem is it might be too obvious for Harrison to do it.

He seems more the under the radar type of scum bag. You know, like going after Neufeld's head on an overthrown pass or spearing Moulds with 15 seconds left in a 14 point game, or maybe hitting a QB while he's celebrating a TD.