We don't have so much a QB problem as an O-line problem.

and to add to that, to have no real veteran QB on the roster once the season began. Plus, no QB coach with three rookie QB's :doh:

On another note, to the folks to continue to bash EJ, and think it was all him. Let me re-post this. https://www.profootb...eseason-week-3/

"Erik Pears, RG, -4.2

Breakdown: The return of Cordy Glenn (-1.2) saw a re-shuffle on the right side that didn’t go well for either Erik Pears or Seantrel Henderson (-2.4). This was a baptism of fire for Pears who struggled with the destructive pairing of McCoy and McDonald. Both as a run blocker (-2.3) and pass protector (-1.5) Pears struggled, surrendering stops, pressures and a hold in each phase of the game."

Plus, two holding calls on Pears, two on Glenn, Wood had one, Richardson had one. The only player to NOT have a penalty was the new guy in Henderson

Anyone care to hazard a guess as to which player got the PFF MVP for the game? "PFF Game Ball

Not quite the +8.6 grade of a week ago but Gerald McCoy was once again too hot to handle for an AFC East offensive line. Through three preseason games, McCoy now has a frankly absurd +16.5 overall grade on 67 snaps."

Its a team game guys, no QB plays well with a bad team around him.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/01/13/2013-offensive-line-rankings/

27. Seattle Seahawks (20th)

PB: 25th, RB: 23rd, PEN: 30th

Stud: With injuries depleting the ranks, it was left to Michael Bowie (+7.1) to lead the team with their highest grade. He may eventually end up at guard (as he was for their recent playoff victory over the Saints) with his run blocking particularly impressive.

Dud: The team has to hope they never, ever have to start Paul McQuistan (-24.8) at left tackle again. It went very badly and he wasn’t much better at guard.

Analysis: An interesting year. Losing Russell Okung hurt but when they did get him on the field his play was a level or three below it’s usual high standard. At center Max Unger had a down year as a variety of combinations on either side of him failed. Essentially, they did enough at times for Marshawn Lynch to make yardage, but this had the feel of an experimental group with the coaches trying to luck into the right combination.

This team did okay last year, right?

Bonus: they cut the "highest graded" OLmen

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/01/13/2013-offensive-line-rankings/

27. Seattle Seahawks (20th)

PB: 25th, RB: 23rd, PEN: 30th

Stud: With injuries depleting the ranks, it was left to Michael Bowie (+7.1) to lead the team with their highest grade. He may eventually end up at guard (as he was for their recent playoff victory over the Saints) with his run blocking particularly impressive.

Dud: The team has to hope they never, ever have to start Paul McQuistan (-24.8) at left tackle again. It went very badly and he wasn’t much better at guard.

Analysis: An interesting year. Losing Russell Okung hurt but when they did get him on the field his play was a level or three below it’s usual high standard. At center Max Unger had a down year as a variety of combinations on either side of him failed. Essentially, they did enough at times for Marshawn Lynch to make yardage, but this had the feel of an experimental group with the coaches trying to luck into the right combination.

This team did okay last year, right?

Bonus: they cut the "highest graded" OLmen

Didn't Levitre have awesome stats playing next to Glenn and Wood, then suck in Tenn?

Levitre was PFF's #2 rated pass pro G in 2012.

He was also their #39th ranked run G in 2012.

Now you can take PFF's ratings and shove 'em for all I care, but it never failed to amaze me that people would always cite his pass pro rating and completely ignore his rating as a run G.

Half guard Levitre.

GO BILLS!!!

Now you can take PFF's ratings and shove 'em for all I care, but it never failed to amaze me that people would always cite his pass pro rating and completely ignore his rating as a run G.

Half guard Levitre.

GO BILLS!!!

Asking for top 5 money, too.

Half guard Levitre.

GO BILLS!!!

There was a good rational for not re-signing Levitre from a football and cost/beneift standpoint. The staff wanted to go bigger on the line and they weren't willing to pay a premium price for a guard. There is nothing unreasonable with the postion they took. My problem with the Levitre departure was that the front office knew way in advance that he wasn't going to be on the roster the next year. They ended up with Brown and Legursky as the potential replacements. Brown was arguably one of the worst starting linemen in the league. Legursky is nothing but a utility player who can fill in on an emergency basis at the guard and center positions. Not having a credible replacement was the major failing for the front office, not his departure.

There was a good rational for not re-signing Levitre from a football and cost/beneift standpoint. The staff wanted to go bigger on the line and they weren't willing to pay a premium price for a guard. There is nothing unreasonable with the postion they took. My problem with the Levitre departure was that the front office knew way in advance that he wasn't going to be on the roster the next year. They ended up with Brown and Legursky as the potential replacements. Brown was arguably one of the worst starting linemen in the league. Legursky is nothing but a utility player who can fill in on an emergency basis at the guard and center positions. Not having a credible replacement was the major failing for the front office, not his departure.

The problem then is when your plugging holes in the dam you only have so many plugs (draft picks FA) and then another leak happens. Right now it seems here that the dam is going to break unless the engineers figure it out quick. I guess i'm not there...yet.

Hope is not a strategy

I think he thought he had a strategy, but to quote Mike Tyson, "everyone has a strategy 'til they get punched in the mouth." That metaphorical punch occurred in the form of Kevin Kolb slipping on a mat almost immediately after sighing and then subsequently getting a concussion that knocked him out of the league. That was a year ago.

hmmmm. seems some guy named Jim Kelly is pinning some of the blame on EJ.

jw

Sure John and I can't speak for everyone, but most of us would probably agree with that. However, there is plenty of blame to go around. How come all we're hearing is "EJ sucks"?

Personally I think most of the blame needs to laid on Coach Marrone's doorstep.

Edited by reddogblitz

I think he thought he had a strategy, but to quote Mike Tyson, "everyone has a strategy 'til they get punched in the mouth." That metaphorical punch occurred in the form of Kevin Kolb slipping on a mat almost immediately after sighing and then subsequently getting a concussion that knocked him out of the league. That was a year ago.

All I heard in the off-season was Whaley praising Thad Lewis, every time he was asked I had to hear that stupid John Butler quote, "John Butler used to say, all you want is your backup QB to go .500, well, last year Thad went 2-3, so, we are good".

They should have signed a vet (Vick) and they shouldn't have traded their 2015 1st round pick. It's called contingency planning. Not rocket science.

what i'm suggesting is however poorly the offense played in the first half on Saturday, there was a distinct lack of ownership for the troubles continuing to come from the supposed leader, whether it was post-game or in-game (when Fred Jackson huddled up the offense on the sideline to try to inspire them).

there seems to be no clear accountability coming from that position, and it's raising further questions in regards to whether EJ can ever develop into a starter.

jw

In what organization is the guy who has been there 1 year the supposed leader? The whole premise of the QB must make the team HIS and be responsible for everything is flawed, in my humble opinion.

There are zero business organizations where the guy they brought in 1 year ago is expected to be the CEO, or at least be the surrogate CEO. I don't care if they come from Harvard's Business School, no 1 year professional is expected to understand all of the nuances of a business (or an offense) and be put in charge of more experienced co-workers.

Most guys who have been there 1 year and been part of that are still trying to find the bathroom and figure out who they talk to for most things...

The idea that because Russell Wilson had success with the best defense in the NFL and a dominant running game, therefore any other young QB who hasn't had early success is a bust is ridiculous. As far as "old school vs new school", I'd suggest that a *very* few QBs have always come into the league ready to play. In 1983, Dan Marino nearly set NFL records - yet Steve Young came into the NFL with USFL professional experience and played so poorly for Tampa Bay that he was traded to SF where he eventually turned into an all-time great.

JW: Your second year with your first employer - were you personally responsible for how bad that employer's product was? What could you REALLY have done about it? Let's say you were trying to find yourself as a writer/reporter and the Advertising Dept sucked - was that your fault? What could you do about it - write faster? How about if your Editor cut significant things from your writing - would that matter?

Let's not over-simplify - a 23 yo is not going to tell older players what to do unless he is *TRUELY* spectacular.