We don't have so much a QB problem as an O-line problem.

I expect better good sir.

The one part of this I agree with is the idea that another young option should've been brought in...spending a 4th on Murray or Mettenberger would've been a prudent move. I'd also be placing hourly calls to Kyle Orton and asking him what he wants to play backup for this team. Blank check, Kyle.

id genuinely be curious to know if they were ever an option. would we have taken a shot a round later perhaps? was it a positional thing, or a player specific evaluation? etc....

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That ball was not on target because Spiller had to catch the ball behind him which stopped his progress and turned him around for a direct hit. If the ball is leading Spiller, he is still running and probably runs by the LB.

Like the one he caught in the third quarter. Nice play when it works like that.

GO BILLS!!!

Well regardless it's a sliding scale. Eli may not be a leader but he ran a pro offense in college that made his transition to the NFL much simpler. I watched a ton of his games at Ole Miss and it was clear that his skills would translate. He was reading defenses and running a complex passing game in college. EJ ran a half-field one read offense at FSU. He has no acumen for what the pros do, and his inability to lead is just the cherry on top. If EJ could run an offense like Eli or even Cutler, it wouldn't really matter.

I agree that it's far, far more about on-field acumen than the nebulous, intangible stuff. If/when EJ gets his on-field performance in order, the window dressing will be far less discussed.

id genuinely be curious to know if they were ever an option. would we have taken a shot a round later perhaps? was it a positional thing, or a player specific evaluation? etc....

My opinion is that they were simply bent on not bringing in anyone that could be perceived as a threat to him (bad decision IMO). I mean, they passed on Murray and Mettenberger in the 4th and 5th; maybe they just didn't like any of the guys, but still, take a shot at someone.

As I understand it it was Fred who gathered the offense so he could address them and EJ followed up to add to the discussion.

It's an interesting dynamic. EJ is not a team captain and it could be argued that Freddy's status as such dictated why it was he that spoke out on the sideline. That said, EJ is the QB and ruffled feathers or not, he needs to make the team his regardless.

GO BILLS!!!

I agree that it's far, far more about on-field acumen than the nebulous, intangible stuff. If/when EJ gets his on-field performance in order, the window dressing will be far less discussed.

My opinion is that they were simply bent on not bringing in anyone that could be perceived as a threat to him (bad decision IMO). I mean, they passed on Murray and Mettenberger in the 4th and 5th; maybe they just didn't like any of the guys, but still, take a shot at someone.

I disagree. I think they want as many players as possible this year that will have impact outside of QB. They aren't focusing on what happens if EJ isn't the answer. He's getting this year, so a guy like Mettenberger adds nothing to the roster compared to O-line depth or possible starters.

Personally, I'm torn on the issue. i like and value their confidence and hope in EJ. I wish I could be that confident.

Edited by FireChan

It's an interesting dynamic. EJ is not a team captain and it could be argued that Freddy's status as such dictated why it was he that spoke out on the sideline. That said, EJ is the QB and ruffled feathers or not, he needs to make the team his regardless.

GO BILLS!!!

I find it odd that people want to argue with jw over this. They come off as wanting to be more right than listen to what a plugged in AP reporter has to say; which is what we really should be discussing. I also get that some hope and pray that we are finally turning the corner; it isn't glass half full or glass half empty, it is reality and sometimes people don't like to see that. This board can be so fickle sometimes...

The poster who said that EJ acts like he is a skill player taking instruction is true. EJ needs to step up and lead...

FTW -yeah the line was terrible at points, but 3 secs for a QB to get rid of the ball is acceptable in the league...

I am going to get flamed for this and possibly well deserved.

I dislike Jim Kelly, his involvment in the franchise, and the constant convenient amnesia we have towards his general character. Different topic all together.

That said, thoughts and prayers to him and his family. Not ment to bash him. I think we just give him too much credit at times.

I'm ok with that comment.

hmmmm. seems some guy named Jim Kelly is pinning some of the blame on EJ.

jw

It is difficult for me to comprehend how the BILLS' Front Office has done so well in so many other aspects of their team, yet has woefully understated the significance of the QB play by allowing their entire armada to be anchored to EJ in a suicide mission of either Sink or Swim...in the Pacific...in a hurricane...boggles my mind really...

Edited by BigBuff423

I disagree. I think they want as many players as possible this year that will have impact outside of QB. They aren't focusing on what happens if EJ isn't the answer. He's getting this year, so a guy like Mettenberger adds nothing to the roster compared to O-line depth or possible starters.

Personally, I'm torn on the issue. i like and value their confidence and hope in EJ. I wish I could be that confident.

You have a good point ChanFuego. I simply disagree with that philosophy. I'd rather have a young QB with some potential (say, Murray) than Ross Cockrell. Obviously they felt differently, and I have no evidence to say they're wrong at this point.

It is difficult for me to comprehend how the BILLS' Front Office has done so well in so many other aspects of their team, yet has woefully understated the significance of the QB play by allowing their entire horse and wagon to be hitched to EJ in a suicide mission of either Sink or Swim...in the pacific...in a hurricane...boggles my mind really...

Honest question - is it really that difficult? It has been overlooked for years now...

there are enough questions being raised inside 1 Bills Drive to render this topic absurd.

jw

Well that is encouraging at least. At this point even if they decide to try and do something, they may have painted themselves into a corner for this season anyway.

I find it odd that people want to argue with jw over this. They come off as wanting to be more right than listen to what a plugged in AP reporter has to say; which is what we really should be discussing. I also get that some hope and pray that we are finally turning the corner; it isn't glass half full or glass half empty, it is reality and sometimes people don't like to see that. This board can be so fickle sometimes...

The poster who said that EJ acts like he is a skill player taking instruction is true. EJ needs to step up and lead...

FTW -yeah the line was terrible at points, but 3 secs for a QB to get rid of the ball is acceptable in the league...

Nobody is arguing that EJ is quiet on the sideline or after the game. That's fine.

What I said all along is that it's his play on the field that matters, not whether or not he's vocal or outwardly instructive to his teammates.

I also have no idea why Kelly would get flamed for criticizing EJ's play; he was asked, and he answered.

Name a successful QB who deferred to his RB for offensive leadership? Even as rookies they're expected to take command. It's now his second training camp. He should be in full control of the huddle & the sideline, even if his play is struggling.

I think saying "deferred" is a misnomer. He's not a team captain and Freddy's status as such kind of dictated the protocol. As it was, EJ chimed in with his two cents on the sidelines. That said, regardless of his not being a captain at this point, as the QB he needs to make the team his even if that means usurping Freddy and Eric Wood's authority as captain from time to time. It would be easier if he was a better QB at this point.

GO BILLS!!!

Honest question - is it really that difficult? It has been overlooked for years now...

In relation to how well the FO has done in nearly all other aspects of talent and hiring of coaches, i.e. Schwartz, Pagac, Pepper, Hostler, etc. plus Spikes, Lawson and Rivers, Drafting Glenn, Watkins, Henderson, etc....yet left the primary issue on Offense without a feasible contingency plan going into this season...I gave them a pass (no pun intended) last season b/c Kolb sh*t the bed and their plan was to have him start and let EJ grow...but they knew going into this year that they needed more from the QB situation, given how much they've done to put an otherwise playoff caliber team together...

You have a good point ChanFuego. I simply disagree with that philosophy. I'd rather have a young QB with some potential (say, Murray) than Ross Cockrell. Obviously they felt differently, and I have no evidence to say they're wrong at this point.

Well, you have some evidence: Ross Cockrell hasn't yet supplanted Ron Brooks (who stinks), meanwhile Zack Mettenberger is on fire this preseason.