We don't have so much a QB problem as an O-line problem.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, you have some evidence: Ross Cockrell hasn't yet supplanted Ron Brooks (who stinks), meanwhile Zack Mettenberger is on fire this preseason.

I guess.

I want to make it clear that it wasn't about Cockrell per se, but rather about the value of having a developmental QB in the fold.

As for Cockrell himself, I'm not convinced that the hasn't beaten out Brooks. I've always felt that they already know they're keeping Cockrell on the 53-man roster, and since Brooks is a bubble-guy they're giving him as many looks as possible to see if they want to keep him.

That said, regardless of his not being a captain at this point, as the QB he needs to make the team his even if that means usurping Freddy and Eric Wood's authority as captain from time to time.

And if I read in between the brief lines that jw threw out here, that's exactly the growing concern at OBD.

It is difficult for me to comprehend how the BILLS' Front Office has done so well in so many other aspects of their team, yet has woefully understated the significance of the QB play by allowing their entire armada to be anchored to EJ in a suicide mission of either Sink or Swim...in the Pacific...in a hurricane...boggles my mind really...

+1 They not only went all in with EJ, they went all in with no safety net ! Completely boggles my mind. Edited by TXBILLSFAN

Nobody is arguing that EJ is quiet on the sideline or after the game. That's fine.

What I said all along is that it's his play on the field that matters, not whether or not he's vocal or outwardly instructive to his teammates.

I also have no idea why Kelly would get flamed for criticizing EJ's play; he was asked, and he answered.

Sorry if I miss-understood trying to take a quick view of the board over lunch...

I get what you are saying, but I think both need to go hand in hand. Players will respect him more as a leader if he does offer instruction and is vocal off the field as well. As the QB he needs to not only know his responsibilities, but the other 21 players on the field's responsibilities as well.

When we keep moving people around we won't have a solid unit. Glenn just came back, Cyril had to start apparently at the last minute, Pears just moved to RG this week. Don't get me wrong, they were terrible, but I see why.

Richardson, Pears and Henderson all appeared to be out of sync/lost /confused for most of the first half. All three had moments where they showed they can physically handle their new positions.. however.. looks to me like they have a long way to go in learning their assignments/ learning to coordinate. Sounds like Marrone said he wants to stick with the lineup ..hopefully 2 weeks of practice is enough for them to learn their new roles before opening day. I'm a little scared that it's going to take more like half of the season.. and by then it may be too late to save the season

I guess.

I want to make it clear that it wasn't about Cockrell per se, but rather about the value of having a developmental QB in the fold.

I still don't get Whaley's logic on handling the position this year, especially with no No. 1 pick next year.

Sorry if I miss-understood trying to take a quick view of the board over lunch...

I get what you are saying, but I think both need to go hand in hand. Players will respect him more as a leader if he does offer instruction and is vocal off the field as well. As the QB he needs to not only know his responsibilities, but the other 21 players on the field's responsibilities as well.

I totally get that opinion; what I didn't agree with was using it as evidence that he's somehow not taking responsibility for his role on the team (not that you said that). My focus on his on-field performance is wrought from the standpoint that playing well on the field will help his development in all areas, including his ability to be more outwardly vocal with his teammates. Competence breeds confidence as the old adage says.

Richardson, Pears and Henderson all appeared to be out of sync/lost /confused for most of the first half. All three had moments where they showed they can physically handle their new positions.. however.. looks to me like they have a long way to go in learning their assignments/ learning to coordinate. Sounds like Marrone said he wants to stick with the lineup ..hopefully 2 weeks of practice is enough for them to learn their new roles before opening day. I'm a little scared that it's going to take more like half of the season.. and by then it may be too late to save the season

OL cohesion and chemistry don't just happen as a result of a few practices after putting a unit together. It's going to take additional time. With regard to EJ, all of the film study, hard work, and time put in during the offseason mean nothing? The team went on the record saying they hired a QB coach because of EJ's desire to become a better player. Shouldn't the team allow him to grow into a leadership role as he develops and matures as an NFL QB? Personally, I think he has enough to focus on already in his quest to become a better QB.

And if I read in between the brief lines that jw threw out here, that's exactly the growing concern at OBD.

But it's not a mystery. His assumption of the team will occur when he has the bona fides as a player to do that. He hasn't walked the walk and lacks the credibility at this point. It's not just a simple case of saying, "Hey, I'm the QB. Follow me and do as I say." It has to be backed up with good play. It's a sham otherwise. Think JP Losman.

GO BILLS!!!

Look before you leap. I don't know why you like to openly criticize me, but maybe do a scintilla of research about the subject before you call my post nonsense.

You don't remember Tiki Barber calling out Manning for not being a leader? (Google is your friend)

Or how about when Giants GM Jerry Reese called him out?

Or how about when he said this?

“I’m not the one to blame for a loss,” Manning said on Monday when asked about the growing criticism. “You are going to lose games. That’s part of football. It’s just about learning from the mistakes, seeing what you are doing well and going into the next week with a good attitude that if you win that one, you are back in a good spot and everything will be fine again.”

http://www.nytimes.c...iants.html?_r=0

Not from his rookie year, I know, so here's the kicker:

http://usatoday30.us...ing-cover_x.htm

But Manning now displays much of the self-assuredness that distinguishes his older brother, who shared league MVP honors with Tennessee's Steve McNair two years ago before earning the honor outright last season.

"I'm sure he feels much more comfortable now," Giants quarterbacks coach Kevin Gilbride says of Manning.

"He's going to a guy and saying, 'What was the coverage on that route? I expect you to react this way and I expect this response, and you didn't do it. How come?'

"And he'll come down with, 'Make sure you do it that way if you want the ball.' Last year, he would not have done that."

Last year--as in his rookie year--he would not have done that. As I said, he was very quiet and kept that stuff to himself as a rookie.

I won't hold my breath for a retraction of your "nonsense" comment.

"Eli Manning was the quietest rookie QB I've ever seen in my life."

So you never seen it. You just "heard" about it, just like anyone else. Isn't that correct? :D

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

hmmmm. seems some guy named Jim Kelly is pinning some of the blame on EJ.

jw

Has anyone just flat out asked EJ if he takes any responsibility for the problems on offense?

And with all due respect to Jim, his opinion on Manuel doesn't mean anything. I'm glad he can offer his opinion and feels free to give it when asked, but it's meaningless.

GO BILLS!!!

Prevent D? In the 3Q?? :lol: No, what happened is they started calling some different plays and TB couldn't play 10 close to the line. They opened up the field, EJ had more time, and he made throws.

In all fairness i did not watch the first half but it sounds like i did not miss much.

I got to hope maybe the Bills were playing conservatively in the first half. At half time Marrone tells Hackett ' enough, we have to score and get some confidence or we are going to lose this team' EJ comes out the second half and looks like the player we need him to be and the team looks great. Play calling and execution were amazing in the third quarter. At this point who knows which Bills team shows up in Chicago in 2 weeks?

"Eli Manning was the quietest rookie QB I've ever seen in my life."

So you never seen it. You just "heard" about it, just like anyone else. Isn't that correct? :D

Have I ever seen Eli Manning in person, as in not from the stands? Yes.

Do you care, or does it change anything about my statement or the spirit of it? No.

Either make a relevant point or move on.

hmmmm. seems some guy named Jim Kelly is pinning some of the blame on EJ.

jw

Are you referring to the SiriusXM interview today? If so he was as critical as John Murphy and Chris Brown is with the Bills. Jim Kelly even admitted today he doesn't say what he thinks in terms of being critical to the organization.

And add to that, QBs that were known to be projects to begin with after college. I still wonder what Whaley and Marrone were thinking drafting a known project QB on a team that had no experienced QB to play under for a couple seasons.

and to add to that, to have no real veteran QB on the roster once the season began. Plus, no QB coach with three rookie QB's :doh:

On another note, to the folks to continue to bash EJ, and think it was all him. Let me re-post this. https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/08/24/refo-buccaneers-bills-preseason-week-3/

"Erik Pears, RG, -4.2

Breakdown: The return of Cordy Glenn (-1.2) saw a re-shuffle on the right side that didn’t go well for either Erik Pears or Seantrel Henderson (-2.4). This was a baptism of fire for Pears who struggled with the destructive pairing of McCoy and McDonald. Both as a run blocker (-2.3) and pass protector (-1.5) Pears struggled, surrendering stops, pressures and a hold in each phase of the game."

Plus, two holding calls on Pears, two on Glenn, Wood had one, Richardson had one. The only player to NOT have a penalty was the new guy in Henderson

Anyone care to hazard a guess as to which player got the PFF MVP for the game? "PFF Game Ball

Not quite the +8.6 grade of a week ago but Gerald McCoy was once again too hot to handle for an AFC East offensive line. Through three preseason games, McCoy now has a frankly absurd +16.5 overall grade on 67 snaps."

Its a team game guys, no QB plays well with a bad team around him.

Well regardless it's a sliding scale. Eli may not be a leader but he ran a pro offense in college that made his transition to the NFL much simpler. I watched a ton of his games at Ole Miss and it was clear that his skills would translate. He was reading defenses and running a complex passing game in college. EJ ran a half-field one read offense at FSU. He has no acumen for what the pros do, and his inability to lead is just the cherry on top. If EJ could run an offense like Eli or even Cutler, it wouldn't really matter.

Not pro ready

http://www.nfl.com/player/elimanning/2505996/careerstats

Here are his first 4 years stats 2007 New York Giants 16 529 297 56.1 33.1 3,336 6.3 208.5 23 4.3 20 3.8 60T 36 6 27 217 73.9 2006 New York Giants 16 522 301 57.7 32.6 3,244 6.2 202.8 24 4.6 18 3.4 55T 33 8 25 186 77.0 2005 New York Giants 16 557 294 52.8 34.8 3,762 6.8 235.1 24 4.3 17 3.1 78T 49 8 28 184 75.9 2004 New York Giants 9 197 95 48.2 21.9 1,043 5.3 115.9 6 3.0 9 4.6 52 11 4 13 83 55.4