Where do you find new music?

WotAGuy

I know there are lots of music lovers here with eclectic tastes. Broadcast radio is pretty sad in Syracuse (but the "Blue Moon Cafe" on Sunday mornings provides some relief - though it's almost entirely old stuff).

I have found internet radio to be a good listen. I am a member of WFUV (wfuv.org) and listen to other internet radio stations, such as KEXP (Seattle), KUTX (Austin), KGSR (Austin) and The Current (Minnesota). Many of them put out CDs each year with the best of their live in-studio performances. KGSR and WFUV are particularly good, as is KFOG's (San Francisco).

My current favorite station is KCRW (KCRW.com). They have an all-music channel "Eclectic 24" that is quite good, interruption and commercial free, and is a source for new music for me.

Edit: Noisetrade and Bandsintown have been good sources, as well.

Edited by WotAGuy

for new music I primarily look into bands & musicians that I read about in magazines & online. most I find to be unimpressive, but a few turn out to be really good (the most recent band to come along that I like is Ghost). I generally don't like much of the newest music out there, and I loathe top 100. I've listened primarily to metal for most of my life, but even most of the new metal is insipid and overly processed sounding with terrible vocals. I find myself listening more & more to classical and orchestral music, especially Russian composers like Mussorgsky, Tchaikovsky, and Rachmaninoff.

And get of my !@#$ing lawn.

:lol:

I actually say that whenever anyone younger than me gives me grief....it's always good for a laugh, especially if you call them 'whippersnappers' too.

Crackin' me up! So, what exactly was that "decent music" written in 1998??

C'mon, man. Celine Dion "My Heart Will Go On." Cher, "Believe." Aerosmith, "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing." Britney Spears debuts with "Baby One More Time."

Need I even mention that landmark album, Van Halen III?

C'mon, man. Celine Dion "My Heart Will Go On." Cher, "Believe." Aerosmith, "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing." Britney Spears debuts with "Baby One More Time."

Need I even mention that landmark album, Van Halen III?

Ahem....Hanson, anyone?

http://www.npr.org/music/ (check out "shovels and rope" and "pokey lafarge" songs on this current page), i like "later with Jules holland" on palladia network (bbc show with some well known and often obscure acts), pandora and apple radio (making new stations of bands i've never heard of but like a single song and all settings for all stations set at "discover") mountain stage on npr, austin city limits on pbs, music festivals. the festivals are the best. long live live performance! Edited by birdog1960

if this is new music i do not want any new music

i love mmmbop, call me maybe, roar, and Garth Brooks.

For music, I listen to Sirius. I'll come across a song I haven't heard on Octane I like, but that is seldom.

WXPN - Philly, xpn.org, very similar to KRCW...singer songwriter centric, always on the cutting edge. Their national show World Cafe Live is one of the more respected radio programs around

I know there are lots of music lovers here with eclectic tastes. Broadcast radio is pretty sad in Syracuse (but the "Blue Moon Cafe" on Sunday mornings provides some relief - though it's almost entirely old stuff).

I have found internet radio to be a good listen. I am a member of WFUV (wfuv.org) and listen to other internet radio stations, such as KEXP (Seattle), KUTX (Austin), KGSR (Austin) and The Current (Minnesota). Many of them put out CDs each year with the best of their live in-studio performances. KGSR and WFUV are particularly good, as is KFOG's (San Francisco).

My current favorite station is KCRW (KCRW.com). They have an all-music channel "Eclectic 24" that is quite good, interruption and commercial free, and is a source for new music for me.

There is more than a handful of regular users of this site who are in tune (no pun intended) with the new music scene. I'm not one of them. Off the top of my head, Poojer and Jauronimo come to mind. I'm sure they can refer you to others.

Every time I throw in a classic, I hear something new to appreciate. I do get into some new stuff and it's normally through word of mouth or on this site.

I found some cool banjo metal, and some rockin school kids covering Tool, in one of the "best of remakes" here on OTW.

for new music I primarily look into bands & musicians that I read about in magazines & online. most I find to be unimpressive, but a few turn out to be really good (the most recent band to come along that I like is Ghost). I generally don't like much of the newest music out there, and I loathe top 100. I've listened primarily to metal for most of my life, but even most of the new metal is insipid and overly processed sounding with terrible vocals. I find myself listening more & more to classical and orchestral music, especially Russian composers like Mussorgsky, Tchaikovsky, and Rachmaninoff.

:lol:

I actually say that whenever anyone younger than me gives me grief....it's always good for a laugh, especially if you call them 'whippersnappers' too.

What do you think of Lindsay Sterling? https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=ZOP3U5eVOsKU8QHW5IHwBg&url=http://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DJGCsyshUU-A&cd=3&ved=0CCQQuAIwAg&usg=AFQjCNEnvIg2KKlSyonzcvm7phzpev1_QQ

I found her on Pandora.