HS Student suspended for saying 'bless you' after a sneeze

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The true stupidity of this is that they're punishing a private expression of "religious expression" (in reality, more an expression of common courtesy) which in itself is a more serious violation of the First Amendment than anything else they've likely done.

it sure it heartening to know that the public schools have their priorities in order. otherwise, I might be concerned about what children are learning and how they're being treated.

Schools are the perfect place for children. All of the arbitrary and nonsensical rules prepare them for the real world.

This was an email read on a radio talk show I listen on the way to work so take it with as large a grain of salt you want. But a guy said he teaches mentally disabled middle school kids. One of the kid's paperwork for their free lunch got messed up so they couldn't give them their meal. They said they could give them a cheese sandwich. The teacher pulled out $3 to buy the kid's lunch and the lunch lady said "you can't do that. It's against the rules. If you buy his lunch you'll have to buy all the lunches." So when did rules start trumping doing what's right? :angry:

This was an email read on a radio talk show I listen on the way to work so take it with as large a grain of salt you want. But a guy said he teaches mentally disabled middle school kids. One of the kid's paperwork for their free lunch got messed up so they couldn't give them their meal. They said they could give them a cheese sandwich. The teacher pulled out $3 to buy the kid's lunch and the lunch lady said "you can't do that. It's against the rules. If you buy his lunch you'll have to buy all the lunches." So when did rules start trumping doing what's right? :angry:

The logic of government bureaucracy. I deal with that exact thinking every goddamned day.

I'm calling BS on this one. There's two sides to every story and this girl's account is way too stupid to be true. My guess is she was acting like an a-hole, was asked to leave for being disruptive and immediately went to Twitter or Facebook with her story of religious persecution. Bold prediction: a more balanced retelling will come out and this thread will promptly fall off the map.

Carry on with your circle jerk. :)

I'm calling BS on this one. There's two sides to every story and this girl's account is way too stupid to be true. My guess is she was acting like an a-hole, was asked to leave for being disruptive and immediately went to Twitter or Facebook with her story of religious persecution. Bold prediction: a more balanced retelling will come out and this thread will promptly fall off the map.

You're probably right. Still, there's no denying that school administrators are notorious for being stupid. They effectively eliminated discretion in their profession, which bites them in the ass in "common sense," situations.

If you're stupid enough of a teacher to literally ban the words "bless you" in class -- which this educator clearly did -- then you're precisely the kind of full gatorman moronic douchebag teacher who deserves every inch what you're getting.

You're paid to teach. Period. If you'd STFU with everything else in your holier-than-thou idiotic mind, you wouldn't be so easily challenged by a freaking student half your freaking age.

But hey...you go with that whole "two sides to every story" thing, mmmkay?