Bills Place LB Stevenson Sylvester on IR

We are in serious need of veteran depth at LB, although Lawson can play there in a pinch. Right now our starters are Rivers - Spikes - Bradham, which will be fine except game one. And the back-ups are Ty Powell - Preston Brown - and Randall Johnson.

Ouch.

All three back-up show some promise. And maybe we just slide Lawson back there in an emergency. But I think we may need to add a vet back-up when final cuts come around.

Where is a Nick Barnett for one year when you need one? Hopefully, soon.

@JoeBuscaglia

Sylvester going on IR is great news for two people in particular: Randell Johnson and Ty Powell. Two bubble players might stick for sure now

I could be wrong but I didn't think Randell was in any danger of being cut or put on the practice squad. He took some bad angles in the HOF game but played relatively well the last two games. He's an athletic freak, so I wouldn't think they would even risk putting a guy with that much upside on practice squad for fear of losing him.

I could be wrong but I didn't think Randell was in any danger of being cut or put on the practice squad. He took some bad angles in the HOF game but played relatively well the last two games. He's an athletic freak, so I wouldn't think they would even risk putting a guy with that much upside on practice squad for fear of losing him.

They will likely keep six but they may only keep five. Rivers, Spikes, Bradham, Brown are locks. That left Powell, Sylvester (who was almost a lock being a vet and a great ST guy), and Johnson, fighting for 1 or probably 2 spots. They seem to really like Powell, and probably felt that they could get Johnson on the PS.

Now, with no vet like Sylvester, I'm not sure it spells good news for Johnson and Powell. They may need to bring in a vet (unless, again, they decide to move Lawson back even though he hasn't played any LB in this defense to my knowledge. Although I'm sure he could learn it in a day or two)

Edited by Kelly the Dog

I agree with you.

They will likely keep six but they may only keep five. Rivers, Spikes, Bradham, Brown are locks. That left Powell, Sylvester (who was almost a lock being a vet and a great ST guy), and Johnson, fighting for 1 or probably 2 spots. They seem to really like Powell, and probably felt that they could get Johnson on the PS.

Now, with no vet like Sylvester, I'm not sure it spells good news for Johnson and Powell. They may need to bring in a vet (unless, again, they decide to move Lawson back even though he hasn't played any LB in this defense to my knowledge. Although I'm sure he could learn it in a day or two)

Thanks for the breakdown.