Urbik getting a bad rap

Bocephuz

Urbik is paid way too much to play RG and not start. He's a holdover from the Nix years and isn't terribly athletic, which is why he's a RG. I don't think Marrone's as high on him and is looking for an excuse to find someone else.

We have the cap space so this season it is irrelevant how much Urbik makes. Next year may be a different story.

Is it possible that Urbik is really the only option for backup center and they don't want him starting at guard because they want him for depth?

Yes, that is also possible and makes a lot of sense especially if they think someone is as good as Urbik or much better.

Realistically has anyone on the roster proved that they should start over Urbik? The sad part is that while he maybe underachieving their are not better options on the roster at this point imo. My guess is that either Hairston or Legurski are gone unless they find a way to IR Cyrus. Last year they had 9 OL and only 3 tackles, 1 center, and 5 guards. As I have stated several times that I thought Hairston looked BAD agents Pitt. Saw 3 plays where he fell down and didnt block anybody, if he doesent play great this week I would think it would be hard to keep him.

There was a lot of discussion on this in the oline thread from yesterday.

I too am puzzled, as I always thought Urbik (and Pears) were fairly adequate.

They were. The team wants to upgrade, (which is great), fans want a scapegoat, and they read on a message board that these guys suck, and now they repeat it as if it were their own opinion.

We have the cap space so this season it is irrelevant how much Urbik makes. Next year may be a different story.

That is no longer true. With the cap rules as they stand, if we find a cheaper replacement for Urbik and then cut him, any cap money that is saved will get rolled over into next year's cap. In the NFL now, the savings of today make tomorrow's cap situation better.

Maybe coaches feel that Adequate is not Enough!

and that adequate is against mediocre teams at home.

While Urbik didn't grade all that poorly last year, and played injured. I still don't want a guy who can't elevate his play against the Patriots, or on the road.

Now with Henderson moved to RT, and Pears moved inside to RG. It remains to be seen what the final lineup will look like. If the Bills are smart they will keep Pears, Urbik around even as backups. Urbik is a heck of an improvement at backup center Legursky.

It's a unique year seeing as how the team is being sold. In the past players who lost their starting job seemed to be cut rather than be paid to backup another player.