Urbik getting a bad rap

Bocephuz

What are the coaches seeing that I'm not seeing with Urbik. He must be practicing poorly or must have offended the coaching staff somehow because the game tape looks fine After reviewing the game tape from the exhibition games so far here are some observations PITT GAME: only beaten once.. bailed out by Woods on that play..however.. no sack or contact resulting. ( He and Woods double team a lot). Consistently got push in the run game and got to the second level a few times . Zero penalties. CAROLINA GAME: only played one or two series. Was not beaten once.. consistently got push in run game. Interesting that right after Cyril Richardson came in to replace Urbik.. Richardson he gave up an awful sack . Zero penalties. GIANTS GAME: beaten badly once, also allowed his man to bat down a pass. Zero penalties. This was his roughest outing.. however it was also the first outing and he looked good the next two games. Has anyone else watched the tape and maybe can point out what I'm missing? I'm thinking this shuffling and experimenting is not necessarily a reflection of Urbik as much as it is an attempt to get some looks at different guys in that RG spot. It'll be real interesting to see who starts at RG next game and you can bet I'll be watching closely

Fwiw, according to Ross Tucker on Sirius, he claims that RG is tougher than LG. Not sure why, but he's the OLman. Urbik seems to have been more than adequate in his time here, yet we always seem to want to replace him. Not sure why.

I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on O-line play because I am not, and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. With that preface, I have been hearing that Urbik has been pretty bad thus far in camp. Also, I recall a great deal of criticism about his play last season. I don't know what they see exactly, but it is clear that they are desperate to replace him. He was very solid for us in 2012. Performance appears to have declined for some reason (injuries, age?).

My thought are they are having a tough time figuring out what the final o-line roster will be. They have a 2nd round pick tackle that most likely would not make the team if he were drafted in the 7th round. The 7th round tackle is playing too well to cut. Doesn't look like the Guard position is fairing well, no 2 are standing out as starters. Not to mention that is the starters arnt so good then the depth is even worse. Notice that they have moved 2 tackles to play guard, so my hunch is the will keep more tackles and less guards. The stinker is Hairston who I thought was pretty good looked like poop. The cuts are going to look interesting...

Let's look at line play overall. They seem to be ok at pass blocking and ok where the play may be run or pass. They have sucked in short yardage situations. It is embarrassing to think about downs where the Bills have need one yard and can't get it. It is not only this preseason but last year also.

On run plays, the coaches are looking for the Oline to keep their pad level low and drive the guy off the line of scrimmage. They are also looking for the Oline to maintain contact (engaged) with their guy until the whistle. If there is a stale mate at the line of scrimmage it is considered a defensive win. Too many times, Legursky and Urbik are being stood up at the line (failing to maintain low pad level), not getting any push downfield, and are not engaged with their guy until the whistle. If you have a dvr or TiVo watch the line play on running plays and you can usually figure out the good, the bad, and the ugly. I played oline in high school and don't claim to be an expert.

My thought are they are having a tough time figuring out what the final o-line roster will be. They have a 2nd round pick tackle that most likely would not make the team if he were drafted in the 7th round. The 7th round tackle is playing too well to cut. Doesn't look like the Guard position is fairing well, no 2 are standing out as starters. Not to mention that is the starters arnt so good then the depth is even worse. Notice that they have moved 2 tackles to play guard, so my hunch is the will keep more tackles and less guards. The stinker is Hairston who I thought was pretty good looked like poop. The cuts are going to look interesting...

I think Urbik will make the team and be the first replacement at C and either G position. Until a someone else can step up. I think Legursky will get cut

That means as of right now Glenn, Williams, Wood, Pears and Henderson will start. Plus Urbik is 6.

Leaving Richardson, Koujo and Hairston. I don't think Richardson or Koujo will make it to the PS. So, I believe Koujo goes on the IR or Hairston gets cut.

Leaning toward Hairston getting cut. A couple reasons, he has been out of football for a bit and may be too rusty, old regime, seems he can't play Guard as well as he can play Tackle and we have many options ahead of Hairston at Tackle currently.

But, to go back to the thread topic...I don't think Urbik is at risk and will be first man up at 3 different OLine positions. Maybe start at RG too.

So, in conclusion, I think Urbik is getting a bad rap too on this board and in the media.

Edited by Manther

Is it possible that Urbik is really the only option for backup center and they don't want him starting at guard because they want him for depth?

sure . he is perfect depth. thast why they were moving him around. He already is proven as back up center . he offers decent BU abilty at RG too. if he can swing all the better.

No way we let him go over legursky. thats just idiotic to consider.

Now the Hairston thing is tricky for me.