[please fix subject]Well it settled EJ is A bust coach SAL says so

hullhawk

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who is Coach Sal? Carpaccio? If so it is surprising that he would call him a bust, he has always been pretty balanced on his assessment.

Well in fairness he was on with Schoop so he might have been negatively influenced. I just found it shocking that he would say low 60's is NOT very good, considering that some QB's that have been very succesful have completion raitos that are comperable.

I also find it maddening that when Brady dinks and dunks down the field, he is "taking what the defense gives him" when EJ does the EXACT same thing, he's "Captain checkdown". When Brady's recievers make him look good, no one says anything, but when EJ's do the EXACT same thing its just proof that the management team knows that EJ isn't very accurate.

To be fair, Jim Kelly was of a different era.....so lets look at last seasons QB performances.

Below is the list of QBs that had a 64.5 or lower completion percentage in 2013.

Nick Foles

Russell Wilson

Tony Romo

Big Ben

Colin Kap..

Sam Bradford

Jay Cutler

Alex Smith

Andy Dalton

Cam Newton

Tom Brady

Andrew Luck

Mat Stafford

Carson Palmer

Mike Glennon

RG3

Fitz

Ryan Tannehill

Matt Cassell

Kellen Clemmens

Chris Ponder

EJ

Jason Campbell

Chad Henne

Joe Flacco

Matt Schaub

Brandon Wheedon

Eli Manning

Terrelle Prior

Geno Smith

Hmmm....bit of a moronic statement really.

He didn't call him a bust, the OP did.

He strongly implied that because of his "low completion rate" that he was NEVER going to be any good, which to me smells a lot like BUST.

And for the poster who said i can't compare him to brady, Your right. I'd have to wait till he's played in the league for 10 + years. which is my point. He's only played 10 games to say ANYTHING definitve about him at this point is premature.

Which is why I was so irritated with SAL yesterday. you can't know that he's NEVER going to get any better and the statement that low 60's is NOT very good, when clearly it is.

THE HIGHEST I could fnid is peyton manning. at 65%.

Does he need to win? YES. Does he need to throw touchdowns? YES. IS he as has been said repeatedly all over the airways an innaccurate passer? NO.

He is AS accurate as several QB's who are first year Hall of famers. IF his current completion ratio holds up over his career. I am not saying that it will. I am not saying that it won't. I'm simply stating that its too early to tell.

Who is Coach Sal? Carpaccio? If so it is surprising that he would call him a bust, he has always been pretty balanced on his assessment.

Not gonna give my true views on EJ until half-way though the season.

Give the kid a chance in some regular season games, then we can talk.

Was listening to GR on the irde home yesterday and "COACH" Sal stated emphatically and categorially that EJ was NEVER going to be any better that a LOW 60% completion percentage QB. It's over.

Did he really make that comment "low 60's"? If so thats an odd one, any halfway decent fan would know that's a good figure.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

So let me get this straight: the OP said something stupid and untrue, about something a guy from WGR didn't say, but if he did say it, it is stupid and untrue? I'm all over this topic and thread!!!

LET me expalin again. WHile coach SAL never said the word BUST, He DID SAY and I QUOTE "NEVER going to get any better than a low 60%Passer and that is Not very good."

Now if you say someone is "not very good" and "never going to get any better" Is that or is that NOT saying the guys a bust?

I would go with YES. Feel free to correct me.... I know you will. :rolleyes:

Edited by hullhawk

I heard Sal talking about it as well. Here is what i gathered:

-He said that when the Bills drafted him, they knew they weren't getting the most accurate guy in the world and that he believes his ceiling would be about 60%.

-It's not fair to call him captain checkdown because he was taking what was given.

-He's seen some progress but wishes EJ was better at certain things.

IMO, it was a pretty fair assessment. He never said bust. He was just trying to say that we should never expect him to be elite with accuracy, but that could still end up being a good QB if he continues to work at and hone the skills he does have.

I heard Sal talking about it as well. Here is what i gathered:

-He said that when the Bills drafted him, they knew they weren't getting the most accurate guy in the world and that he believes his ceiling would be about 60%.

-It's not fair to call him captain checkdown because he was taking what was given.

-He's seen some progress but wishes EJ was better at certain things.

IMO, it was a pretty fair assessment. He never said bust. He was just trying to say that we should never expect him to be elite with accuracy, but that could still end up being a good QB if he continues to work at and hone the skills he does have.

now that sounds exactly like what Sal would say!

I like Coach Sal. One of the few listenable guys on WGR. But did he say he would be a bust because of this?

Completion % is the most overrated stat ever. Trent Edwards had a 65% his 2nd year. I want EJ to take what the defense gives him but he needs to mix in the deep shots. If EJ only completes 50% one game but half of them are 20 + in yardage, I'll take it.

Yep, it's why YPA is a much better stat. EJ needs to get his up by at least a yard but once he's comfortable with the offense I'm hoping that will come.

LET me expalin again. WHile coach SAL never said the word BUST, He DID SAY and I QUOTE "NEVER going to get any better than a low 60%Passer and that is Not very good."

Now if you say someone is "not very good" and "never going to get any better" Is that or is that NOT saying the guys a bust?

I would go with YES. Feel free to correct me.... I know you will. :rolleyes:

But according to you, he didn't say "someone is 'not very good'" he said the low completion percentage is "not very good." And the list of players with said low completion percentage is a good list of some good quarterbacks.

It's a tough crowd, Mr. Hawk. Most people are just having fun.

i like Sal, i think the other guys on WGR have been covering the Bills for too long and are overly pessimistic. Sal brings a new enthusiasm and insight

yep I agree. I love his Saturday show, I get it on the WGR app while I run and the 3 hours takes me through my week of workouts!

How do you ignore topics?

I'm not quite sure but I believe that actually posting in the topic a couple of times that you're trying to ignore is not a good start. Your percentage of topics ignored is never going to be above 60% if you insist on posting in topics you're trying to ignore.

You're officially a bust at ignoring topics.