Is there a doctor in the house (re: bruised ribs)

YoloinOhio

How long do they take to fully heal? Can Sammy have the same awesome moves with this injury if he, say, takes a pre-game shot for the pain? Can he practice?

Thad's were bruised last year in NO and he tried to practice that next week and couldn't, then realized he couldn't play the next game because he could hardly breathe let alone turn from side to side. I don't know if he would have been able to go the next week because EJ was back.

How long do they take to fully heal? Can Sammy have the same awesome moves with this injury if he, say, takes a pre-game shot for the pain? Can he practice?

Thad's were bruised last year in NO and he tried to practice that next week and couldn't, then realized he couldn't play the next game because he could hardly breathe let alone turn from side to side. I don't know if he would have been able to go the next week because EJ was back.

Depends on the severity. A bruised rib will limit his twisting/reaching ability no matter how severe. Breathing would only be a problem if it was a deep bruise.

He will likely be limited this week IMO. No clue on if he will be able to play next game.

Edited by The Wiz

There was minimal to no contact to the ribs whatsoever. With experience with high level physios, those involved in football, even at high levels, are generally not the greatest, nor have a full level of understanding of the body. They are generally tape it up, ice it up, take some meds, and get back out there. My guess is the more accurate diagnosis is an intercostal strain or a stress fracture in the rib, which generally does not show up on an xray. Stress fractures are non-contact injuries, just overuse. He can play through it, but make no bones about it, if this is the case it will nag all season, and effect performance. The only way to get better from stress fractures/intercostals is to stop activity and basic core work. It won't heal with exercise only become more manageable. I would shut him down until the season starts, that is about 4 weeks, which is pretty close to healing time, some can take 12.

There was minimal to no contact to the ribs whatsoever. With experience with high level physios, those involved in football, even at high levels, are generally not the greatest, nor have a full level of understanding of the body. They are generally tape it up, ice it up, take some meds, and get back out there. My guess is the more accurate diagnosis is an intercostal strain or a stress fracture in the rib, which generally does not show up on an xray. Stress fractures are non-contact injuries, just overuse. He can play through it, but make no bones about it, if this is the case it will nag all season, and effect performance. The only way to get better from stress fractures/intercostals is to stop activity and basic core work. It won't heal with exercise only become more manageable. I would shut him down until the season starts, that is about 4 weeks, which is pretty close to healing time, some can take 12.

So you are saying that whatever he does this season will be good.......considering that he was a rookie and that he had to battle a rib injury. This should please the mother hens. :lol:

@StepnerWKBW: #Bills C Eric Wood on Sammy Watkins: "From my understanding he should be fine. He'll get a little rest and we'll get him back out there."

I am betting we don't see him until Chicago.

Chicago is fine with me. Not like EJ was going to throw it to him anyway. Hey ohhhhhh…buddum tisch...

In all seriousness, if he can practice w/o pain, I don't see the rush to get him back out in these games. We're lucky it wasn't something more serious.

If you ever strain your inter or intra costals, well, god save you. You're in severe pain for a while. I've done it twice in my life and it was tremendously painful.

Crazy injury; he was barely touched-- almost like a glancing elbow to the kidney.

I think he was injured in Thursday's practice. He wasn't really touched in the game last night.

If you ever strain your inter or intra costals, well, god save you. You're in severe pain for a while. I've done it twice in my life and it was tremendously painful.

Add me to the list. Couldn't breathe without stabbing pain. It's a dreadful condition that really is a few conditions. FTR there really isn't such thing as "cracked ribs" - which this is typically called.

We might see him with a flack jacket if this is really bad. Hope it isn't though.

I think he was injured in Thursday's practice. He wasn't really touched in the game last night.

If anything it looked like Shazier got under his pads with his left knee and hit the bottom of the left side of his rib cage.

But your explanation would make more sense.

It would be interesting to know if he had full rib pad coverage during the week.

I also join the reasoning the we don't see him until Chicago, at least.

Let's not forget what happened to Fitz when he got a rib injury. It didn't stop him from playing, but damn, did it effect his performance.

1 interception every 15 passes vs. 1 interception every 19 passes?

Or....its preseason and it is a bruise and they want him out to save him???

I dislocated a rib and the chiropractor put it back in place after a painful massage. That hurt like sumpin else! I cracked a rib once and that wasn't as bad but hurt for a much longer time. I bruised a rib and it hurt to inhale deep for a week . Either way it hurts is what I am trying to say.

Edited by fansince88

Why in the world SHOULD we see him before Chicago......we know what he can do......he came into the NFL game ready....

This is why we have accumulated great depth at WR and RB....now we need to use it correctly.

Player gets hurt....next player steps up till said player is 100 percent......USE YOUR DEPTH

I agree and I wouldn't be afraid to sit him for however long it takes.

We have had enough of excuses for failure like gimpy ankles and sore wibs the past 14 years and it's not like TJ Graham will have to play in his place.

There is plenty of talent at WR for a team that plans to run 2 wr sets as much as the Bills.

You have to see the humor in this though.

The team drafts this guy and he's been tearing it up in practice and should by all rights catch 100+ passes every year going forward and thru 3 preseason games he has like 1 catch for 6 yards.

hashbrown the more things change :lol: