My Untrained Eye -- thoughts on BUF/PIT

eball

God, it is much more sane in this thread, compared to the Tebow thread.Hallelujah and nice to see. EJ hasn't put it in the end zone but has looked better and better in between the tens. They've been trying different plays with different players, not necessarily what they will do in the reg. season. He needs some time and with our back-ups he'll get it.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for confirming my recollection that there have been no 3-and-outs with EJ in there. 7 out of 10 drives got the Bills into scoring position. There are signs of progression and improvement.

But he still hasn't won the Stanley Cup! :angry:

Even in the photo above you can see Henderson is losing his battle on the left side.

Only if that's what you want to see.

The play was designed to be a quick out to the RB in the flat. The claims that Manuel needs to be more patient and let the play develop completely ignore the (very likely) possibility that this was the specific play called, which was designed to isolate Freddie in the flat against a single defender. Then it's up to Freddie to win his one-on-one matchup, which in this case he didn't. So it's possible, and likely, that Manuel was just executing precisely what he was instructed to do.

As for Henderson, if this was in fact the designed play, then his job may very well be simply to get a strong push on the DE to direct him outside, without the need for engaging him for much longer than the initial contact. So as long as he can get his arms on the defender and direct him outside and away from the path of the pass, he's doing his job.

Only if that's what you want to see.

The play was designed to be a quick out to the RB in the flat. The claims that Manuel needs to be more patient and let the play develop completely ignore the (very likely) possibility that this was the specific play called, which was designed to isolate Freddie in the flat against a single defender. Then it's up to Freddie to win his one-on-one matchup, which in this case he didn't. So it's possible, and likely, that Manuel was just executing precisely what he was instructed to do.

As for Henderson, if this was in fact the designed play, then his job may very well be simply to get a strong push on the DE to direct him outside, without the need for engaging him for much longer than the initial contact. So as long as he can get his arms on the defender and direct him outside and away from the path of the pass, he's doing his job.

I don't think Henderson was being beaten on that play and though you may be right about being a designated play I want to see Manuel feeling the play, he can step up and take a step to the left and hit Chandler on the corner of the endzone or at least try.

Edited by Fixxxer

I don't think Henderson was being beaten on that play and though you may be right about being a designated play I want to see Manuel feeling the play, he can step up and take a step to the left and hit Chandler on the corner of the endzone.

Possibly, but some plays are designed to allow for the QB to find the open receiver, while other plays rely on pre-snap assessments and timing. The type of play there has to be decided pre-snap based on the defensive lineup, who Manuel thinks Freddie is matched up against, and if there is a good chance of the WR clearing out that side of the field to allow Freddie to get into the end zone if he beats his one-on-one. Looks to me like the play was designed to be a quick out, Manuel saw the defense lined up accordingly, and did what you have to do on plays like that -- get the ball out to the back as quickly as possible to give him the best chance of beating the defender.

I honestly didn't like the play call, but in the end it was a good play by the defender.

I would to see Manuel being more patient in the pocket when he's in the red zone. Exhibit A

LArcPB.jpg

This is where he has to get better, 1st and goal and in the first play he plants and throws to Freddie in the flat, by the looks of it, Freddie needs to be more awesome than he already is and shake a defender to score a TD. What Manuel needs to do here is be more patient, let the play develop and try to squeeze the ball to one of the other receivers. He has a pocket to manouver, to move a little and fire the ball, maybe a double by WR is what the play needs.

I look at plays like this and shake my head at Hackett more than any player. We're inside the 10, there are 5 receivers running patterns, and only one is in the end zone - the slowest one at that? Why? This type of play design and call is exactly why I wonder about our coaching. Why not use every bit of field possible? Why not have all the receivers, except Freddie run to the back of the and create as much space as possible? Why not give your QB some real options? I don't know... maybe all the players ran the wrong routes.

I look at plays like this and shake my head at Hackett more than any player. We're inside the 10, there are 5 receivers running patterns, and only one is in the end zone - the slowest one at that? Why? This type of play design and call is exactly why I wonder about our coaching. Why not use every bit of field possible? Why not have all the receivers, except Freddie run to the back of the and create as much space as possible? Why not give your QB some real options? I don't know... maybe all the players ran the wrong routes.

I didn't particularly like the play either, but I will say this: offensive play design is all about the matchups. The goal is to get your skill players in the best matchups possible. It's rare to get your players completely wide open, particularly in the red zone where everything is compressed. So the idea is to try and get your guys into winnable one-on-one matchups.

That doesn't have to always be in the end zone. If you can get Freddie matched up one-on-one with a DB, chances are good he'll win that matchup, and then he has the chance to make his way to the end zone.

Of course, that doesn't prevent a talented defense from sniffing out a play and blowing it up. In this case, even if Freddie beats his defender, he's still probably going to be met by one or two other defenders before the end zone. Whether that's because the WR routes were not designed well, or not run well, or because the defenders are well trained to spot this kind of play and to break off their coverage, it's unclear.

But the type of play here, at least in general terms, is not unusual or horrible. It's called all the time, by all teams. Some just execute it better, some defenses are better at recognizing it and defending it.

I finally watched the first half. My takes...

1) Terrible game by EJ. Part of that may be the Steelers were rushing 5 or 6 every play. The O-line was so-so pass blocking, awful on run blocking.

2) I only saw EJ look off his receiver once the entire half. He's definitely locking in on his guy right from the snap.

3) Almost every pass play was off a 3-step drop. When you do that it leaves little time for the receivers to get wide open, so the QB has to be pinpoint accurate, which EJ usually isn't.

4) For as big as our line is they can't get any push whatsoever. Maybe they are getting beat inside so they have no leverage on plays?

5) I'm not going to complain about play calling because it's preseason and these aren't what we will be doing in the regular season but it just seemed like every play we ran was doomed from the get go. Steelers D was all over us before we even got started.

1) Terrible game by EJ. Part of that may be the Steelers were rushing 5 or 6 every play. The O-line was so-so pass blocking, awful on run blocking.

2) I only saw EJ look off his receiver once the entire half. He's definitely locking in on his guy right from the snap.

3) Almost every pass play was off a 3-step drop. When you do that it leaves little time for the receivers to get wide open, so the QB has to be pinpoint accurate, which EJ usually isn't.

4) For as big as our line is they can't get any push whatsoever. Maybe they are getting beat inside so they have no leverage on plays?

5) I'm not going to complain about play calling because it's preseason and these aren't what we will be doing in the regular season but it just seemed like every play we ran was doomed from the get go. Steelers D was all over us before we even got started.

Is that why we had 212 yards in first half and 12 first downs vs 138 yards and only 5 1st downs for them. Ok they took out Ben. Fair argument. But what can you say about the 212 yards. Gimme yards or what?

I would to see Manuel being more patient in the pocket when he's in the red zone. Exhibit A

LArcPB.jpg

This is where he has to get better, 1st and goal and in the first play he plants and throws to Freddie in the flat, by the looks of it, Freddie needs to be more awesome than he already is and shake a defender to score a TD. What Manuel needs to do here is be more patient, let the play develop and try to squeeze the ball to one of the other receivers. He has a pocket to manouver, to move a little and fire the ball, maybe a double by WR is what the play needs.

A rub on the DB is what was needed. The throw was correct and the DB made an outstanding play. Pinning this on EJ is without merit.

Whew. Your QB assessments are usually way off base, so I feel better about EJ now.

You watched a different game than I did. :huh:

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Our beloved Bills are in a world of S**T with this QB corp & the coaches that believe they have what they need .

It's another 6 & 10 season with this group & i hope Whaley is seeing what is going on right before his eye's .

The guy has won a SB with a good QB & knows just what a good QB looks like so i hope it doesn't take long for him to realize that there isn't one on this roster !!

A rub on the DB is what was needed. The throw was correct and the DB made an outstanding play. Pinning this on EJ is without merit.

Whew. Your QB assessments are usually way off base, so I feel better about EJ now.

That play to Freddy was telegraphed by EJ staring him down. The throw should have been to Woods over the middle or maybe Graham slanting to the right but that would have required an accurate bullet to make work. The kind of throw that EJ isn't allowed to make or isn't comfortable enough to attempt.

That play to Freddy was telegraphed by EJ staring him down. The throw should have been to Woods over the middle or maybe Graham slanting to the right but that would have required an accurate bullet to make work. The kind of throw that EJ isn't allowed to make or isn't comfortable enough to attempt.

Next time that play goes to Chandler in the corner of the endzone. He had great position on his man.

GO BILLS!!!

Next time that play goes to Chandler in the corner of the endzone. He had great position on his man.

GO BILLS!!!

That's what I saw as well. Chandler was the right read there. In great position with a lot of end zone to work with. Woods gets destroyed if they go to him and if Manuel tries Graham on the post then the safety picks it off.

It was out of his hand in 1.5 (yes, I timed it) seconds. Woods ignored the rub inside. Hardly "staring" down the receiver. He was going there all the way.

After rewatching the condensed version, I noticed on the long TD that the bills were in a nickel and the LB on the near side took a wrong read step by initial heading inside with the tight end who was in motion toward the other side of the formation. Pretty sure it was rivers. It screwed up the safety and the corner that ran into each other. I don't know what rivers was thinking, the other LB would be the one to shift on that play. Rivers scares me in pass protection.

Edited by SJDK

After rewatching the condensed version, I noticed on the long TD that the bills were in a nickel and the LB on the near side took a wrong read step by initial heading inside with the tight end who was in motion toward the other side of the formation. Pretty sure it was rivers. It screwed up the safety and the corner that ran into each other. I don't know what rivers was thinking, the other LB would be the one to shift on that play. Rivers scares me in pass protection.

Maybe he was on the lookout for Hines Ward? :devil: