Available QBs ... Slim pickings ?

Coach Marrone's answer at the end of his post-game presser when asked "are you happy with the back up Quarterback play from Lewis and Tuel?" was clear - "No."

I think something will happen before the opening game guys. Marrone is going to be banging on Whaley's door saying "I need a backup who can play." Of all the names listed here Ponder and Orton are the two that I think are a) either available or likely to be available and b) suitable. I'd add Mark Sanchez to that list if he was going to available without us giving something up, but I doubt that he is and we have already weakened our draft position next year too much for my liking.

I can't believe some people still bang the Tebow drum, and to rate him above Sanchez is crazy talk.... as are vague statements like "but he's a gamer".... whatever that means.

EDIT: But I agree with what others have said... it has reached critical point now. The two guys we have are 3rd stringers at best.... we need a back up who can play.

Edited by GunnerBill

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my 45 years as a Bills fan, this is the worst backups I have ever seen.

A black eye for the GM for sure. It is crazy to go on a season with the added pressure of playing

In front of a new owner, with garbage backups if they are needed, it might not be pretty. MY question to Whaley would be.

What's up with this crap? Shirley, there's a vet out there you could have brought in. Again, I think this is only to prop up

EJ's ego with no competition. Really a stupid plan.

It's odd that your hanging on a qb that we shut down last year, and saying how ej couldn't perform against a team we beat last year..... And a preseason game.

Not arguing ej is great or smith terrible. Just an oddly framed argument given our experience in the regular season.

Would you trade EJ for Smith, straight up? I think that would be a no-brainer.

Would you trade EJ for Smith, straight up? I think that would be a no-brainer.

Yes - if my job depended only on a winning season THIS year and then I knew I was going. If my goal was to build a Superbowl winner long term then no. And Alex Smith is the prime example of why. EJ's rookie season was better than Smith's. Smith was terrible his first 4 years in the league. He took a loooonnngg time to develop into a genuine bona fide NFL starter. Then he has reached what I think all agree is his ceiling the past 3 years as a very effective game manager. I'd take the chance on developing my guy given that and allow him the same opportunity Smith had when he first came into the league.

Edited by GunnerBill

Yes - if my job depended only on a winning season THIS year and then I knew I was going. If my goal was to build a Superbowl winner long term then no. And Alex Smith is the prime example of why. EJ's rookie season was better than Smith's. Smith was terrible his first 4 years in the league. He took a loooonnngg time to develop into a genuine bona fide NFL starter. Then he has reached what I think all agree is his ceiling the past 3 years as a very effective game manager. I'd take the chance on developing my guy given that and allow him the same opportunity Smith had when he first came into the league.

Unfortunately, I think Smith is better than EJ will ever be.

You might be right.... but even in year 5 in San Fran they were booing him and calling for David Carr, Troy Smith... in fact anyone to go in and play ahead of Alex Smith, he couldn't complete a simple 5 yard out route. So when writing off a Quarterback with 10 NFL starts under his belt I'd say best not to champion a guy who after 50 plus starts was considered a huge bust. Few Quarterbacks shine immediately in the NFL, most take a couple of years to show and a few (your man Smith included) take a lot longer than that. It was year 6 before he proved beyond any doubt that he could play at a level to be a genuine starting calibre QB in the league.

Its going to cost Doug Marrone his job just as Fitzpatrick cost Chan Gailey his job

Honestly, I dont think it was Fitzpatrick as much as it was his refusal to fire Wannstedt, the whole its his turn thing, and also the fact he had no idea what was happening on defense and his press conferences in the end sounded like he just had nothing left. I wont completely disagree with you. I just think there was more to it than just Fitz

It's official. Our QBs are bad all three, but nothing to fear Bills brain trust knows something we don't.

Yeah. EJ is terrible. You are 100% correct. Not even belonging in the league. Riiiiiiiiight. 3rd game of the preseason. His 13 career game and... the sky is falling.

2 FSU boys... I smell a FSU clique right around the corner!!!

i would like to see it! If ponder is cut, sign him and cut Thad. Hopefully nothing happens to EJ while Ponder picks up the play book but if so Tuel can pinch hit. He has looked decent in camp and had a bad game against Pitt but looked ok in the other 2. Once Ponder gets the system down (he is very intelligent btw) then he becomes the #2 and Tuel #3. Now Minn may be trying to trade Ponder to see if they can get something for him before cutting him, I don't know.

@Eric_Edholm

#Chiefs have interesting decision at QB behind Alex Smith. Chase Daniel, Tyler Bray and Aaron Murray all making cases. Consider keeping 4?

I think I saw Murray's first pass was a 50 yd touchdown the other day. Bray has a rocket arm if I recall. Not worth trading for, but there are 31 other teams in the league looking at future QB talent too, so don't get your hopes up.

I think I saw Murray's first pass was a 50 yd touchdown the other day. Bray has a rocket arm if I recall. Not worth trading for, but there are 31 other teams in the league looking at future QB talent too, so don't get your hopes up.

If Aaron Murray became available, I might be interested.

You have a short memory then. Let me give you a short list: Billy Joe Hobert, Joe Dufek, Bruce Matheson, Dan Manucci, WillieTotten, Brian Brohm, Vince Ferragamo, Gary Marangi...any one of these make Tuel and Lewis look like Brady and Manning.

Can't agree with that - I'd take half those clowns over the BaddeusTool combo. Hobert was an ass, but he had real talent, and Ferragamo, are you kidding me? He'd start for us!

And anybody this side of Buddy NIx knew Kolb was made of glass and had his toughness questioned by opponents. He was a terrible signing.

Minor conspiracy theory - they wanted to bring their rookie (expecting it to be EJ) along slowly and knew Kolb's propensity for injuries made him perfect to start the season but leave an opening at some point.

It was all brilliant until Bill Bellicheat sabotaged our field mats!!! :wallbash:

Whaley is happy with what we have for backups at the QB position.

As of Saturday night, Marrone is NOT.

Edited by BobChalmers

As of Saturday night, Marrone is NOT.

What they say and what they MIGHT do are two completely different things. They saw the dynamic duo in action last year, and chose to come back to camp with the same guys crap this year. That says a lot more than Marrone spouting off at a press conference.

What they say and what they MIGHT do are two completely different things. They saw the dynamic duo in action last year, and chose to come back to camp with the same guys crap this year. That says a lot more than Marrone spouting off at a press conference.

Thad has regressed. The situation now is very different from the end of last season. His bluntness with that answer was very telling.

Edited by BobChalmers