Dwayne Bowe suspended for opener

I don't want to re-hash all of the discussion about Marcell's potential suspension, but I would like to hear your thoughts on what the suspension of Dwayne Bowe for one game might mean for us.

From ESPN: "The suspension stems from an incident on Nov. 10, 2013, when Bowe was pulled over in Riverside, Mo., for speeding and possession of marijuana.

Bowe, a first-time offender, eventually pleaded guilty to amended charges of littering and defective equipment and paid $610 in fines.

The passenger in Bowe's car the night of the arrest told police the marijuana found belonged to him and Bowe did not know it was in the car."

Is Marcell in the same range? I think it is likely worse given the separate incidents and severity, but I don't know. I just want him on the field.

[i didn't see another active thread discussing this so moderators feel free to merge if I missed it]

This situation more closely mimics that of Nigel Bradham -- an incident from last year, charges reduced, one game suspension.

I suspect we will not see Dareus suspended this season. Whatever punishment is coming, will arrive for the 2015 season.

So the league's tact is to wait for all criminal proceedings to play out their string before they take any action? I can see how that would wind up delaying any form of punishment for Marcell.

unless there is something pressing, or the incident was very publicly documented -- generally they will let the process play out and gather as much info as possible.

This situation more closely mimics that of Nigel Bradham -- an incident from last year, charges reduced, one game suspension.

I suspect we will not see Dareus suspended this season. Whatever punishment is coming, will arrive for the 2015 season.

reasonable assessments all around.

Next season he'll be suspended for game 1.

...to be followed immediately by all of the threads wondering why it's happening then, after all of that time had passed.

I hope so, eball. I seem to remember that when Bruce got suspended for four games (1988) they did it on the Monday leading up to the opening game.

@corryjoel

It's now a little easier for KC to cut Dwayne Bowe. His $8.75M & $1.5M '14 & '15 base salary guarantees void because of his suspension.

Wow. If I was the Chiefs I'd dump him immediately. They have to be regretting that contract. Bowe might be the worst underachiever in the NFL.

Wow. If I was the Chiefs I'd dump him immediately. They have to be regretting that contract. Bowe might be the worst underachiever in the NFL.

But then they would be ultra thin at WR and after having made the playoffs last year I am sure they are in win-now mode.

Next season he'll be suspended for game 1.

Even if this is the case it may provide some flexibility that can be useful to the Bills. In the past players/teams have used the appeals process in a way that though it does not allow the player to escape punishment, the CBA provides the player with the ability to appeal the result and thus stall off enforcement until the appeal is processed. Thus, I can see the Bills facing the loss of both Dareus and Bradhan with one game penalties that they reach an agreement where one misses the first game and the other misses the second game.

It would be bad for the NFL in terms of damaging the team (and not just penalizing the miscreant player) if they forced both of these key players to sit out at the same time.

If the routine is not to get in the business of having the NFL and the players flat out pick the point of punishment, then still either Dareus or Bradhan can chose to appeal just before the game and drop the appeal after the game and miss the next one.

In the end, the NFL is an entertainment product and it simply is not good story telling to have the first games across the league all end up being hamstrung by multiple players all beomg jeld out.