One event that probably saved the Bills

It may well have been the death of Ted Rogers. If Ted were alive and bidding on the Bills who knows how this would have turned out? Thoughts?

Agreed. Eddie Jr. needs approval from mom and sis to do anything significant, including becoming part of the Toronto group. Ted Rogers didn't need anybody's approval and I doubt he'd let Bon Jovi be the primary owner, either.

GO BILLS!!!

Wow, that makes me mad. I'm glad I didn't see it around the time of Wilson's death.

I was steaming. I called the sports editor and left a not so nice message.

Look at the date. That was the day that he died. It was the most disrespectful thing I've ever read.

Edited by The Real Buffalo Joe

Would not have made a bit of difference in the long run, outside of the fact it would have freaked people out more here and around the city and country.

Rogers still would have had the lease problem, still would not have been able to break it, still would have had to keep the Bills in Buffalo for eight lame duck seasons which there is not a chance in hell the NFL would have agreed with. No Toronto bidders could possibly have won the bid because of the specific wording of that lease, and the problems it would create for the league. Thanks again, Ralph and Russ and Poloncarz and Erie County.

Rogers could not have done it either.

Yea I remember reading that when Mr Wilson passed. That's what got me so fired up about this Toronto nonsense. To think Bon Jovi and company are just sitting over there waiting for our owner to die so they can steal our team. Disgusting. The way they have handled this situation, I hope Toronto never gets a team

Would not have made a bit of difference in the long run, outside of the fact it would have freaked people out more here and around the city and country.

Rogers still would have had the lease problem, still would not have been able to break it, still would have had to keep the Bills in Buffalo for eight lame duck seasons which there is not a chance in hell the NFL would have agreed with. No Toronto bidders could possibly have won the bid because of the specific wording of that lease, and the problems it would create for the league. Thanks again, Ralph and Russ and Poloncarz and Erie County.

Rogers could not have done it either.

All of this plus the fact that the trust only ever intended to sell to someone keeping the team in WNY. They may have had less chance with him and his obvious intentions.

Yea I remember reading that when Mr Wilson passed. That's what got me so fired up about this Toronto nonsense. To think Bon Jovi and company are just sitting over there waiting for our owner to die so they can steal our team. Disgusting. The way they have handled this situation, I hope Toronto never gets a team

Exactly. I remember when the rumors first came out about Bon Jovi around the time of the Toronto game. Bon Jovi's publicist said something along the lines of "Out of respect for Mr. Wilson, my client is not interested at this time in buying and moving the Buffalo Bills because they're not for sale." So you want to move them when/if that happens?

I can't find the exact quote, but it was along those lines.

All of this plus the fact that the trust only ever intended to sell to someone keeping the team in WNY. They may have had less chance with him and his obvious intentions.

But Ted could have brought the big bucks making this deal more complicated. None of the Bon Jovi nonsense would be an issue if Ted were bidding.

But Ted could have brought the big bucks making this deal more complicated. None of the Bon Jovi nonsense would be an issue if Ted were bidding.

All he would have done is possibly made Pegula put in more money, but he would have found out just when JBJ and Tanenbaum did (and just like the LA dude from Tim Graham's story did), that he couldn't get the team. All of it would have been folly. he may not have even gone as far as JBJ did because it just may not have been worth it to him.

And if he did take it further, all of the JBJ nonsense from media reports and fans panicking would have been replaced by Ted Rogers nonsense from media reports and fans panicking.

Still wouldn't have mattered. It would have just raised the price for a WNY group. Maybe you would have seen a minority partner join Pegula (doubt it) but that could have been the change. Toronto was never a threat; they were leverage to drive up the price.

Saved the Bills?? From what?

When does this nonsense end? These threads are getting more bizarre..

It almost seems like the Bills created this silly "Toronto Bills" bogeyman to whip the lunatic fringe, and maybe influence Albany?

Saved the Bills?? From what?

When does this nonsense end? These threads are getting more bizarre..

It almost seems like the Bills created this silly "Toronto Bills" bogeyman to whip the lunatic fringe, and maybe influence Albany?

PTR is saying that he doesn't think the Bills have a chance of moving. But they'd have a slightly better chance with Rodgers Sr. at the helm.

PTR is saying that he doesn't think the Bills have a chance of moving. But they'd have a slightly better chance with Rodgers Sr. at the helm.

Thank you. I was just pointingout that the Toronto bid would have been more formidable if Ted Rogers were still alive. Whether he'd succeed is another question but his bid wouldn't have been the clown show they have now.

That doesn't make sense (and isn't consistent with what he titled this thread). If PTR thinks there is zero chance the Bills would have moved, then there can't be a better than zero chance that they would have moved with Rogers.

In fact, anyone who believes the trust is serious about keeping the Bills in Buffalo cannot believe they would ever sell to a Toronto group. So why do these threads keep popping up?

Because there simply are not enough members, posts or threads for you to complain about. :nana:

Come on Kelly! It's nuts! Posters are inventing things to worry about. The same ones who previously told how ingeniously the stadium lease was crafted to prevent the team from moving (or being sold to a team that move it) are pushing these stories about those Bills-coveting Canadians.