Why Does Al Sharpton Need Police Officer's Name?

3rdnlng

http://www.gopusa.com/news/2014/08/13/sharpton-demands-name-of-police-officer-despite-death-threats/?subscriber=1

FERGUSON, Mo. (AP) -- The Rev. Al Sharpton pressed police Tuesday to release the name of the officer who fatally shot an unarmed teenager in suburban St. Louis, and he pleaded for calm after two nights of violent protests over the young man's death.

Police said death threats prompted them to withhold the name of the officer, who was placed on administrative leave after fatally shooting 18-year-old Michael Brown in Ferguson, where the incident has stoked racial tension, rallies and a night of looting.

Investigators have released few details, saying only that a scuffle unfolded after the officer asked Brown and another teen to get out of the street. At some point, the officer's weapon fired inside a patrol car, police said.

"The local authorities have put themselves in a position - hiding names and not being transparent - where people will not trust anything but an objective investigation," Sharpton during a news conference in St. Louis where he was joined by Brown's parents.

He also echoed pleas for peaceful protests by the NAACP and Brown's father, Michael Brown Sr., who told the crowd: "I need all of us to come together and do this right. ... No violence."

President Barack Obama also urged calm, saying people must comfort each other "in a way that heals, not in a way that wounds."

Ferguson Police Chief Tom Jackson said he had planned to release the officer's name Tuesday but changed course after death threats were called into the police department and City Hall and posted on social media. Jackson said it could be weeks before he releases the name.

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This whole deal in MO appears to be a tragic incident created by both parties. We don't really know all the particulars yet, and as we learned in the Trayvon Martin case it is better to let things play out.

Did we really need two nights of rioting and looting to prove something? If so, why isn't Chicago constantly under siege? Why isn't Al Sharpton deploring the murders there and asking for names?

This whole deal in MO appears to be a tragic incident created by both parties. We don't really know all the particulars yet, and as we learned in the Trayvon Martin case it is better to let things play out.

No wonder I haven't been able to find what went down that day by skimming a bunch of articles.

Did we really need two nights of rioting and looting to prove something? If so, why isn't Chicago constantly under siege? Why isn't Al Sharpton deploring the murders there and asking for names?

Blacks killing other blacks isn't news and does not lend itself well to race baiters looking for donations and relevancy, any more than the white guy in Buffalo who was nearly beaten to death by a group of blacks for having a black girlfriend a few years back.

You should know this by now!

Blacks killing other blacks isn't news and does not lend itself well to race baiters looking for donations and relevancy, any more than the white guy in Buffalo who was nearly beaten to death by a group of blacks for having a black girlfriend a few years back.

You should know this by now!

I'm very much aware of that. Just doing a little fishing myself.

If any regular adult suspect had shot someone, and there was an ongoing police investigation, the name of the shooter would be public.

I see no reason for the police to be afforded special treatment.

The officer currently isn't a suspect, though nothing says he won't be later.

At this time there have been numerous death threats made against both the officer, his family, and other members of the police department. Whether they are credible or not is irrelevant because they must be treated as such and precious resources are being spent on them. Names and home addresses have been shared via multiple social media venues and there have been more than a few threats associated with those postings. It's simply prudent not to fan the flames and give the idiots who have essentially shut the town of Ferguson down any more ammunition, including shooting an innocent woman in the head last night.

They've had to bring in police from multiple locations around St Louis and the National Guard has been deployed at night. There have been a number of assaults, including one of a reporter who was trying to do a story from the QT that was looted/burned. Little of this is being reported because the truth isn't in the media's best interest.

You'll note that none of that matters in regards to civilians. It shouldn't matter for police either.

bull ****. This isn't the third world. They segregate "at risk" suspects from the general populous when there is a question about their safety. This isn't any different.

The officer currently isn't a suspect, though nothing says he won't be later.

At this time there have been numerous death threats made against both the officer, his family, and other members of the police department. Whether they are credible or not is irrelevant because they must be treated as such and precious resources are being spent on them. Names and home addresses have been shared via multiple social media venues and there have been more than a few threats associated with those postings. It's simply prudent not to fan the flames and give the idiots who have essentially shut the town of Ferguson down any more ammunition, including shooting an innocent woman in the head last night.

They've had to bring in police from multiple locations around St Louis and the National Guard has been deployed at night. There have been a number of assaults, including one of a reporter who was trying to do a story from the QT that was looted/burned. Little of this is being reported because the truth isn't in the media's best interest.

Wow. That sounds less like "demonstration" and more like "insurgency" or "domestic terrorism."

Must be a heavy Tea Party presence...

How about everyone's favorite white Hispanic?

I don't know what you are saying. Because the media frenzy ruined George Zimmerman's life they should be able to do it to this cop? Let the evidence and investigation play out first.

I don't know what you are saying. Because the media frenzy ruined George Zimmerman's life they should be able to do it to this cop? Let the evidence and investigation play out first.

Hahahahahahahaha how about letting the evidence and investigation play out for ol' Zimmy? Oh wait, nope. Night of the crime, his name was everywhere.

And by the way, TYTT is saying that the only difference between this guy and Zimmerman is the fact he's a cop. Because this guy enrolled in the profession that throws out your application if you're too smart, he gets anonymity?

Edited by FireChan

What I am saying is that literally everyone over the age of 18, with the sole exception of police officers, has their identity released in these situations.

There is no good reason for this difference.

What I am saying is that literally everyone over the age of 18, with the sole exception of police officers, has their identity released in these situations.

There is no good reason for this difference.

So what? There have been death threats against the anonymous officer. I'd rather be on the side of the people not enabling a lynch mob.