1. 1. I have or am battling depression

• yes, currently.
    • yes, in the past.
    • no, never.
    • I suffer from another form of mental health diagnosis
  2. 2. mrags should...

• stay.
    • stay!

I know this is OT, but people have committed suicide to get rid of the pain of clusters. I too had them, from around 28 years of age to age 47. Mine were always in spring and late fall, about 6 weeks at a time.

Took me 3 years of them till they were properly diagnosed, but even then no medicine for them. My kids were terrified when young when I would wake them up with the sound me, on my knees, banging my head against the wood floor, as I KNOW you have done. And can still remember girlfriend at that time taking me to the emergency when the left side of my face went numb the first time, and we both thought I was having a stroke.

Last three years I was prescribed triptons, and these tended to help, but that could be as I was getting older, severity of the headaches was lessening. I also read there is a ton of success with oxygen therapy, but I did not try that.

The absolute only good thing about getting old was those fuggers usually go away after 45.

Absolutely. One of their nicknames is "suicide headache". I've tried oxygen but, there are a couple things 1. You must get to it within a couple minutes or it will do little good, 2. At night is when 70% of them come and they are the truly horrible ones, usually I'm so sleep deprived I sleep through my 5 min. warning period once that happens not a lot will help, but time. Totally know what it's like to be banging my head off numerous things during attacks. Several times they are so bad many people have told me my right side of my head is swollen after the attack. Never understood why someone would end their life, I just couldn't grasp why, now I do.Just last week I passed out for a couple of minutes during a severe attack. I see my neurologist on the 20th hopefully we can get something figured out, but I don't know I've been seeing him for 2 1/2 years so I doubt it. I've tried triptans, but was one of the ones who suffer rebound headaches from them(16 headaches in 31 hours).

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is also a third type of depression IMO and that can be described as just plain seflishness.

Not sure you meant something very negative with your statement but selfishness is a choice and associated behaviors coming out of the choice. Depression is not a choice. It can be a debilitating and life threatening illness.

Absolutely. One of their nicknames is "suicide headache". I've tried oxygen but, there are a couple things 1. You must get to it within a couple minutes or it will do little good, 2. At night is when 70% of them come and they are the truly horrible ones, usually I'm so sleep deprived I sleep through my 5 min. warning period once that happens not a lot will help, but time. Totally know what it's like to be banging my head off numerous things during attacks. Several times they are so bad many people have told me my right side of my head is swollen after the attack. Never understood why someone would end their life, I just couldn't grasp why, now I do.Just last week I passed out for a couple of minutes during a severe attack. I see my neurologist on the 20th hopefully we can get something figured out, but I don't know I've been seeing him for 2 1/2 years so I doubt it. I've tried triptans, but was one of the ones who suffer rebound headaches from them(16 headaches in 31 hours).

If I may offer a suggestion why not have your case reviewed by another doctor? Sometimes having a set of fresh eyes wil result in a more effective treatment. The doctor you are seeing should be able to recommend other doctors in the field who can review your case and give a second opinion.

A long time ago I was going to have back surgery. I asked the doctor who was treating me who would he see if he had the same issue. He told me the name of the doctor, who was rated as the top neurosurgeon in the region. In the end I went to the recommended doctor. I'm glad I did.

Edited by JohnC

Im sorry but your comment about telling people to drink alcohol if they have depression should omit you from any discussion on this matter.....period.

I dont know you and I dont dislike you.......but you are not educated on this at all.

I'm sorry if I missed something, but I didn't see anything in there about drinking alcohol... I've stayed on top of this thread, but if I have missed something, please tell me...

If I may offer a suggestion why not have your case reviewed by another doctor? Sometimes having a set of fresh eyes wil result in a more effective treatment. The doctor you are seeing should be able to recommend other doctors in the field who can review your case and give a second opinion.

A long time ago I was going to have back surgery. I asked the doctor who was treating me who would he see if he had the same issue. He told me the name of the doctor, who was rated as the top neurosurgeon in the region. In the end I went to the recommended doctor. I'm glad I did.

Definitely an option, just seems like it may be like starting the whole process over, but I will keep it in mind. Thanks for the idea. Some people with this disease either don't respond to the meds. or the meds screw them up especially with extreme cases. We have tried 7 or 8 different things so it's not from lack of trying. Thanks again for the response.

I've been on an SSRI med for a year and half. How long I was depressed before I started it, I don't know, but it was a while. Maybe always, but especially with some pet losses, deaths in the extended family, and health conditions in the nuclear family (2 cancers, Lyme). But it happened two Februarys ago that my heartbeat was just runaway, couldn't sleep more than an hour for ~ 3 weeks (I always had sleep issues, but that was hellish!), I physically could NOT eat, hand tremors/shakes (still have this, to some degree), thoughts racing beyond anything before or since, and I finally said that I needed help.

I'm also told by some people who are in a position to know... that I'm on the autism spectrum (high-functioning) and depression / anxiety are often part-and-parcel with that. This comes a little late in the day for me, but I was one who just toughed it out and I am so thankful to have had awesome parents and brothers (and a few close friends) who've gotten me through.

Right now I think I'm doing pretty good, but there are things I still need to work on. Doing some self-guided therapy, have done some road trips this summer that were nice getaways with friends (included the HOF ceremony and game), trying to socialize more --- and the anxiety of doing that has been helped a LOT by the med and the push of 'Do this, James. Don't be afraid to talk and meet people' and my nearby 6-year-old niece has been a GODSEND during this time. Literally since the first day after coming home from the doctor, it's like the Me&Her show. Trying to focus on getting work --- which has been a real struggle. I did VERY well in school and am a person who accomplishes stuff / is ultra-focused, but with large resume gaps b/c of the depression / autism stuff, I'm just not getting callbacks and I'm not quite sure what to do at this point. Starting to date as well... something I've really never done.

Weight has never been an issue for me --- on the contrary! --- but I've taken to long walking with the dog most days. Trying some herbal stuff for anxiety as well. Ashwagandha Root and/or Holy Basil.

Mind if I ask what SSRI medication you are taking? My middle son has a similar diagnosis but I'm not sure his current meds are working well.

I've been on an SSRI med for a year and half. How long I was depressed before I started it, I don't know, but it was a while. Maybe always, but especially with some pet losses, deaths in the extended family, and health conditions in the nuclear family (2 cancers, Lyme). But it happened two Februarys ago that my heartbeat was just runaway, couldn't sleep more than an hour for ~ 3 weeks (I always had sleep issues, but that was hellish!), I physically could NOT eat, hand tremors/shakes (still have this, to some degree), thoughts racing beyond anything before or since, and I finally said that I needed help.

I'm also told by some people who are in a position to know... that I'm on the autism spectrum (high-functioning) and depression / anxiety are often part-and-parcel with that. This comes a little late in the day for me, but I was one who just toughed it out and I am so thankful to have had awesome parents and brothers (and a few close friends) who've gotten me through.

Right now I think I'm doing pretty good, but there are things I still need to work on. Doing some self-guided therapy, have done some road trips this summer that were nice getaways with friends (included the HOF ceremony and game), trying to socialize more --- and the anxiety of doing that has been helped a LOT by the med and the push of 'Do this, James. Don't be afraid to talk and meet people' and my nearby 6-year-old niece has been a GODSEND during this time. Literally since the first day after coming home from the doctor, it's like the Me&Her show. Trying to focus on getting work --- which has been a real struggle. I did VERY well in school and am a person who accomplishes stuff / is ultra-focused, but with large resume gaps b/c of the depression / autism stuff, I'm just not getting callbacks and I'm not quite sure what to do at this point. Starting to date as well... something I've really never done.

Weight has never been an issue for me --- on the contrary! --- but I've taken to long walking with the dog most days. Trying some herbal stuff for anxiety as well. Ashwagandha Root and/or Holy Basil.

1) No problem with self-guided therapy, if you're careful...but trust me, a second party can be very helpful (though I imagine you have one, if you're being prescribed SSRI's.)

2) Herbal remedies and medications can interact in bad ways, and not always well-known ways, since herbal remedies are rarely examined in controlled studies. Be careful mixing the two.

Not sure you meant something very negative with your statement but selfishness is a choice and associated behaviors coming out of the choice. Depression is not a choice. It can be a debilitating and life threatening illness.

Thanks for handling that post so maturely......I was about to get all passive aggressive on his arse.

Last thought, just because it isn't mentioned here yet (I haven't clicked the buzz feed links yet but will). Some people are actually mentally ill in a more classic sense as well (being diagnosed as depressed is a relatively new thing in comparison 1980s or sometime near then). I only say this because as far as I can tell Robin Williams had a personality that was very much like a bipolar type 2, it would seem to me (and I am not totally sure about Jimmy Hendrix but I think him too). I am not even sure if that is considered a mono-depressive or not but I thought it was different. Haven't read much about these things in quite a while. But I knew someone else who was diagnosed as BPtype 2 so I am pretty familiar with that.

You make a good point....and I'd say it wasn't until well into the 90's that depression had begun to be taken seriously(at least here in Australia). In the early-mid 90's, a close loved one of mine was suffering severe depression. Upon concluding a 2 week stint in hospital for assessment they were diagnosed with "unhappiness disorder". I was understandably disgusted with that. We then tried several different doctors before one would take the situation seriously. Ironically, as we found out years later, the depression was caused by schizophrenia. With the right medications, the depression and schizophrenia are well under control(though it has taken 20 years).

It is a huge relief to me(and millions others I'm sure) that these things are better understood both in the medical and general world.

I suffer from a condition called cluster headaches. They are extremely painful headaches that come in clusters every 3 months for 3 months. I get 3-8 attacks a day each being about 1 hour. Several come at night, so for three months straight I sleep about 1 hour then have an attack for 1 hour. I typically get 2.5-4 hours of sleep a night. The pain is indescribable, whatever you think your pain tolerance is, believe me it's way higher than you think. This coming from someone who has had 7 surgeries. By the time I get into my 2nd month There's no question I go into depression. If the pain don't get you the lack of sleep and holding onto a full time job will. Doctors have never found someone who had a worse form of pain. If interested I supplied a link about them.

http://en.wikipedia....luster_headache

My father suffered from cluster headaches when I was a teenager. There was literally nothing that would help but time with alternating hot/cold compresses. I'd stay up many nights with him, watching him writhe in pain.

Interestingly, what ended up getting rid of the headaches was pure oxygen. He'd keep a big tank in his bedroom and a small tank in the car, and when he felt a headache coming on, he'd put on the mask, turn up the O2 and nip it in the bud. Never met anyone with cluster headaches before, so I have no idea if that just somehow worked for him, but if you haven't talked to your doc about it, it may be worth the query.

Type 2 bipolar...never been exactly shy about it, either.

I saw a tee shirt the other day and thought of you. It said "I hate being bi-polar. It's awesome!: