Nickell Robey on Punt Returns

Robey got some nice looks with not a lot of real estate in front of him and made the best of the situations. We dominated the Panthers on field position, so he didn't field many at the 20. I'd rather Leodis take those deep ones, all day.

This, however, raises the larger point that no one has breeched yet: Crossman's units through two PS games have been quite alright, netting a punt block, zero kick returns outside the 20 (inside if not touch backs), perfectly above average punt coverage and decent punt returns.

Methinks they're building that ST core Marrone had asked for:

At first I thought it was a little weird. For whatever reason, I thought we had more players who were great at PR in college. Of the players who will probably make the team (TJ is on the bubble, obviously), I broke down the guys who excelled at punt returning in college:

TJ GRAHAM - 66 RET, 628 YDS, 9.5 AVG, 2 TDS

LEODIS MCKELVIN - 112 RET, 1471 YDS, 13.1 AVG 7 TDS*

NICKELL ROBEY - 20 RET, 208 YDS, 10.4 AVG, 0 TDS

DANORRIS SEARCY - 36 RET, 463 YDS, 12.9 AVG, 1 TDS

CJ SPILLER - 53 RET, 569 YDS, 10.7 AVG, 1 TDS

*4th all-time career PR TDs in NCAA history

Robey definitely passed the eyeball test last night (outside of the muff, which is alarming), and looking at these numbers I think he's a safe option if we need to sub in for Leodis.

I actually think the addition of Corey graham will make them more likely to put mckelvin back there. I just want someone who will

Make good decisions with catching the ball and holding onto the ball, lame as that may be.

Marrone in his press conference specifically said that we didnt even have our starting returners in there, and I think he specifically was referring to McLuvin.

I was going to start this thread when I watched the rest of the game this morning but saw that fumble and decided against it. He had some really good speed but didn't use it like Graham and Leodis do. I thought he was tentative while running but I realized he wasn't. He actually watched the gaps/play unfold in front of him and then made his move. I think he has a shot at being the KR/PR returner so we don't have to depend on others that are "starters".

yes. The unit looks better so far. Granted, they couldn't look worse.

Good point. They could have looked better on the on side kick. It almost seemed to surprise them and they certainly didn't execute. But as a whole, so far things look better. Praying that holds up.

@ChrisBrownBills: Robey hoping for more PR reps http://t.co/UIT3v4exAu

Understood, but were they guys that are expected to make the team outside of special teams?

some are - Preston brown, Corey graham, Boobie Dixon, Chris hogan, will all make it at their position. I am sure there are others. Easley will make the team for ST only IMO.