The O-Line Thread

Let's not consolidate multiple threads that are focused on different players into one antipasto thread where you can't find anything.

You know the internet isn't going to run out of space. We can have a thread on each olineman. It doesn't hurt.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Legursky was "playing center" in the 2nd half too, he just looks terrible. I thought Williams was okay and hopefully they will use Ubrik at center if anything happens to Wood. Some of the time it takes rookie guards a while to get better, so I like that we took one this year but I think it is why we brought Williams in.

I was thinking the same thing and probably would be the most reasonable thing to do, if the perspective from our couchs would have any validity.

The problem with that vision is that in reality Urbik is being challenged very hard in TC to step up and solidify his starting guard position. Will those coaches be comfortable with him as a back-up center when, apparently, want someone to unseat him at RG.

Watched enough of Richardson to say he's not ready. He may even need the practice squad.

Chris Williams is going to get worked by very good to geat tackles. He does nothing for me. I think this guy is going to be the source of a lot of fan anger this year.

When Glenn is ready Henderson goes to RT. I've seen enough of Henderson to say we may have something here as long as he stays away from the reefer.

I dont know what to say about Urbik. I think he's basically the same as Chris Williams.

Overall after 2 games I think there are pieces here. KuJo needs to step up. That's really the only disappointment so far for me. I'd like to see if he's more suited for Guard--to challenge Williams or Urbik. But its obvious these coaches aren't thinking that. I dont think he's taken one rep there.

Thought this might help seeing as there are like 8 threads on Glenn, Henderson CuJo, etc.

All things our Oline. Here.

With Cordy back I think Henderson will get looks at RT. Im betting CuJo will get some looks at LG seeing that he's been on the left side at bama it might be a smoother transition.

Glenn--CuJo--Wood--Urbik--Henderson

I'd like to see this.

Pears, Williams, Hairston, Cyril the backups. Or Cyril goes practice squad and we keep Unga or something.

Question on the practice squad. If someone is on our PS and another team signs him for their 53 man roster do we get the opportunity to move him to our 53 man roster first?

Thanks. So, it is not too risky putting them on the PS.

The team has to cut the player first. Once he gets cut he can sign anywhere he wants. They are not designated to the PS. They are signed to it just like any other FA.

This scenario is why Tuel was the back-up QB on the 53 man roster and not on the PS last year.

Question on the practice squad. If someone is on our PS and another team signs him for their 53 man roster do we get the opportunity to move him to our 53 man roster first?

Yes, we can match, but we have to bring them to active roster

No, there is no "right to match" or anything like that. Then again, a player can tell the Bills, and see if they will give him an offer as good so he can stay.

Thanks. So, it is not too risky putting them on the PS.

It depends on what team puts the claim in for him. Since the team claiming him has to also put him on the roster, he could be going to a better team, or playoff contender, or closer to home, etc. Just because we can match (or even exceed the offer, we can offer anything we want and the player/agent can choose between the two offers), doesn't mean we can retain him.

That's how the Bills got Scott Chandler. The Cowboys were stashing a young TE on the PS (Bennett maybe?) and had Chandler on the active 53. Buddy Nix put in a claim for the PS guy and gave him a contract offer. The Cowboys chose him over Chandler and made a contract offer to him, which he chose over the Bills. So he had to be put on the active roster. When that happened, the Cowboys released Chandler and we took him instead.

Nix had joked that Chandler was the guy he wanted all along but there was no way he could know that is exactly what was going to happen. He probably liked Bennett, or whomever that guy was, as well as Chandler and would have taken either of them. That had to be the case anyway, since he made the claim and offer to the other guy already.

The team has to cut the player first. Once he gets cut he can sign anywhere he wants. They are not designated to the PS. They are signed to it just like any other FA.

This scenario is why Tuel was the back-up QB on the 53 man roster and not on the PS last year.

Stupid, because no one was going to pick him up and add him to their active roster.

No, there is no "right to match" or anything like that. Then again, a player can tell the Bills, and see if they will give him an offer as good so he can stay.

How is that fundamentally different than "right to match?" Technically, you are more correct. It isnt a true right to match, and the Bills can offer him anything they want to keep him. But basically it is a right to match, meaning the Bills still can keep him if they want to and he wants to take the Bills offer.

How is that fundamentally different than "right to match?" Technically, you are more correct. It isnt a true right to match, and the Bills can offer him anything they want to keep him. But basically it is a right to match, meaning the Bills still can keep him if they want to and he wants to take the Bills offer.

My point is three is risk to the Bills. A PS player might well want to play somewhere else, especially after the Bills indicate he's not good enough to make the final roster, but another team tells him he is, and come accept a real pro salary and position.

My point is three is risk to the Bills. A PS player might well want to play somewhere else, especially after the Bills indicate he's not good enough to make the final roster, but another team tells him he is, and come accept a real pro salary and position.

Right. Very true. Big risk if they really see his potential. Certain players, usually guys that are drafted in the fifth round and up, have a very good chance of being taken off the PS. UDFA usually not.

It depends on what team puts the claim in for him. Since the team claiming him has to also put him on the roster, he could be going to a better team, or playoff contender, or closer to home, etc. Just because we can match (or even exceed the offer, we can offer anything we want and the player/agent can choose between the two offers), doesn't mean we can retain him.

That's how the Bills got Scott Chandler. The Cowboys were stashing a young TE on the PS (Bennett maybe?) and had Chandler on the active 53. Buddy Nix put in a claim for the PS guy and gave him a contract offer. The Cowboys chose him over Chandler and made a contract offer to him, which he chose over the Bills. So he had to be put on the active roster. When that happened, the Cowboys released Chandler and we took him instead.

Nix had joked that Chandler was the guy he wanted all along but there was no way he could know that is exactly what was going to happen. He probably liked Bennett, or whomever that guy was, as well as Chandler and would have taken either of them. That had to be the case anyway, since he made the claim and offer to the other guy already.

Stupid, because no one was going to pick him up and add him to their active roster.

I think "right to match" implies the process with restricted free agents who sign an offer sheet from another team. The current team can match the contract to keep the player and the player has to stay with the current team. There is no such process with the PS. Like others have said if you sign someone form another team's practice squad it must be to the 53 man roster.

I think "right to match" implies the process with restricted free agents who sign an offer sheet from another team. The current team can match the contract to keep the player and the player has to stay with the current team. There is no such process with the PS. Like others have said if you sign someone form another team's practice squad it must be to the 53 man roster.

But it's fundamentally the same thing. What actually happens is the other team informs the player's agent that they intend to claim him and sign him to their 53, and they offer a contract. Then the agent goes to the Bills in this case and tells them of the other offer. They then can match it or offer more or do whatever they can to keep the player here and add him to their 53. Then the agent tells the player of the one or two offers and they choose what is best for them.

So for all intents and purposes, even though it is not the identical contract, it's basically a right to match. Technically, it's not.

@TheJoeMarino: My take on how #Bills rookie offensive lineman C.Kouandjio, S.Henderson & C.Richardson have looked & how they fit. http://t.co/Nskdrixpoa

Nothing we didn't already know but that was a pretty good overview of where we are at with the OL. He's not as high on Kujo as the Bills scouts and coaches are, and it will be interesting if they can coach him up to being a solid OL in the league. I havent been to any practices but he is not getting much love from anyone and hasn't looked good in the games. It's very, very early for someone like that though.

Season opener: Henderson- Glenn- Wood- Urbik- Pears

- Kouandjio/RT hopefully comes together as the season progresses.

- Glenn is still vary shaky to me. Who knows what his health situation really is. At Guard he can just step right in and play at a pro bowl level.

- Henderson is making fast progress at LT. Let him continue to grow. The worst that could happen is Glenn is the next man up.

A little disclosure. ....I was a varsity Oline coach here in VA for 10 years so there's my bias in making this thread. Family got bigger and kids getting older so I stopped. Anyway. ...

I just rewatched the 2nd half a lot closer then I did Friday (actually hardly watched the 2nd half Friday). I think CuJo did well. He went up against Ealy most of the half---and that guy is going to be a player boy...panthers got a steal with him at 60. I think CuJo's pass pro was good. I liked how he got to the second level on Dixons just short lunge/dive at the foot line. If anything he needs to be a little quicker off the ball.

I think he's only going to get better and better as he gets used to the speed. I think our local media guys are over doing the "he's struggling" comments on the twitter. Hughes can make lots of OTs look like they are. Or are their observations bc Henderson is playing well they can't understand why he's not on par with him? It doesn't mean a thing right now.

Not worried one bit and I wouldn't be surprised if you see him get reps with the 1s this week.

And Hairston looked good too. Against 2s and 3s but not bad at all.

Other random observations..not just oline since I stayed up late watching:

McClain sucks.

Preston Brown is still figuring things out. Hasn't been good. Again, he may just need more time. IDK. Powell is the better MLB right now.

I liked #93 Randell Johnson. A lot.

Dont see Marcus Easley making this team. He whiffed on a crack block of the slot that could have sprung Brown for a big play bc he was slow or lazy or both.

Edited by Big Blitz

Ohio state guy, had off field issues and fell in draft. Has been really good for niners but holding out. Might be an upgrade over either guard we have out there now.

@ProFootballTalk: Trade a possibility for holdout guard Alex Boone http://t.co/fuvW7f7Ooy

The bills are already paying a ton of cash to Williams, Wood, Urbik and Pears. They will have to pay Glenn next year. There is no chance for them to trade for Alex Boone.