Judge rules Ten Commandments monument must go

You're wrapping yourself in the definition. I think you just want to win an argument, instead of being honest. You can "prove" it fits the definition of religion, but to pretend like it isn't a horribly unsubtle and contrived dig at other religions is asinine. You know it. It has been warped from its true purpose of keeping "intelligent design" out of schools into adolescents on the internet saying, "You believe in magic man in the sky, I believe in a Flying Spaghetti monster, I'm so clever."

It may ascribe to the letter of religion but it goes against its spirit.

the church of the flying spaghetti monster is as much a religion as the Darwin fish with little feet on it is an expression of faith. both are based in mockery, from what seems to me to be a condescending, and an ironically 'holier-than-thou' point of view. if someone was to truly believe in the avian pasta deity, they'd be placing exactly as much faith in something unprovable as those they mock for their belief in God.

Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them.

Edited by Gene Frenkle

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the church of the flying spaghetti monster is as much a religion as the Darwin fish with little feet on it is an expression of faith. both are based in mockery, from what seems to me to be a condescending, and an ironically 'holier-than-thou' point of view. if someone was to truly believe in the avian pasta deity, they'd be placing exactly as much faith in something unprovable as those they mock for their belief in God.

Again - not a mockery of religion, a mockery of an idiot school board.

Holy Rollers like to think it's a mockery of religion, because the imagined persecution validates them.

Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions.

Remember that the next time I call you an idiot.

Holy Rollers like to think it's a mockery of religion, because the imagined persecution validates them.

Remember that the next time I call you an idiot.

It's a religion based on the mockery of a school board?

Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them.

I must say, you going from, "I can't believe how intolerant you are," to, "I ridicule religion," was quite an unexpected change.

Oh wait, no it wasn't. Most who reference the Flying Spaghetti are already intolerant morons. Which is what I said in the beginning. Cha-Ching!

Edited by FireChan

the inspiration for the term may have originated as a mockery of an idiot school board, but it's subsequent applications, at least as far as I've seen it used, are most often as a counter to monotheism, and almost exclusively toward the 'Christian' God. I'm not a very religious person, and not even close to being a 'holy roller', and by my own personal experiences and conversations, I've found that the great noodled one to be consistently used as a barb toward Christians. many people who believe in God find their deity's comparison to Italian pasta to be offensive, regardless of the origin of the term.

laughter works pretty well, too.

I must say, you going from, "I can't believe how intolerant you are," to, "I ridicule religion," was quite an unexpected change.

Oh wait, no it wasn't. Most who reference the Flying Spaghetti are already intolerant morons. Which is what I said in the beginning. Cha-Ching!

Oh, I see, you thought that I was serious with that first part, huh? I'll try to make my sarcasm clearer for you in the future.

laughter works pretty well, too.

I'll let my boy TJ know about that the next time I see him. ;)

youre missing the point. the objection to the Big 10 @ city hall is not an indictment of religion. the goal is to keep religious endorsements out of public institutions in a secular country

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Oh, I see, you thought that I was serious with that first part, huh? I'll try to make my sarcasm clearer for you in the future.

I'll let my boy TJ know about that the next time I see him. ;)

Of course, the "I wasn't being serious" card. Sounds good.

youre missing the point. the objection to the Big 10 @ city hall is not an indictment of religion. the goal is to keep religious endorsements out of public institutions in a secular country

While we're at it, lets repeal laws against murder, theft, and perjury.

After re-reading some of your posts I now see what I'm dealing with. I must be slipping not to have realized earlier what a extraordinary mind I was dealing with. I bow to your superior intelligence and in humiliating defeat, ask only that you take no more shots at my flawed logic and obvious backtracking. If you could see my face, you would probably conclude that there is no sarcasm in any of this.

BTW, they already fired Chan. ;)

After re-reading some of your posts I now see what I'm dealing with. I must be slipping not to have realized earlier what a extraordinary mind I was dealing with. I bow to your superior intelligence and in humiliating defeat, ask only that you take no more shots at my flawed logic and obvious backtracking. If you could see my face, you would probably conclude that there is no sarcasm in any of this.

Don't let it happen again.

:lol: :lol:

Now in penance for your sins, say ten "Hail Pastas".