Judge rules Ten Commandments monument must go

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no, we've sanitized the calendar by replacing 'before Christ' and 'anno domini' with 'common era' and 'before common era', so it's nice and secular and no longer offensive. :rolleyes:

But "January" is still named after the god "Janus."

But "January" is still named after the god "Janus."

I find the idea that the government recognizes Thursday and Friday - days named after Thor and Frigg, respectively - offensive. I think I am going to sue. There must be no religious references in anything.

Edited by Koko78

I find the idea that the government recognizes Thursday and Friday - days named after Thor and Frigg, respectively - offensive. I think I am going to sue. There must be no religious references in anything.

Are you friggin sure about that Friday thing?

With regard to the Ten Commandments, I think George Carlin said it best. Put these up:

1. Thou Shalt Always be Honest and Faithful, Especially to the Provider of Thy Nookie.

2. Thou Shalt Try Real Hard not to Kill Anyone, Unless, of Course, They Pray to a Different Invisible Man than the One You Pray To.

3. Thou Shalt Keep Thy Religion to Thyself.

</driveby>

Geno!

These God threads are the only ones that bring you out? Are you still pissed that the big man made you bald? Get over it dude. It was just a joke.

Geno!

These God threads are the only ones that bring you out? Are you still pissed that the big man made you bald? Get over it dude. It was just a joke.

Sup bud! YOU always make me laugh. As for that other guy, I don't find his jokes funny at all, especially the bald guy thing. Then he just keeps rubbing it in, teasing me with potential cures that never pan out. What an a-hole that guy is! At least he doesn't pull any of that 'flooding the world with rain water' or 'killing all the firstborn boys' crap anymore. Maybe he's finally growing up. Maybe his sense of humor is just a bit more subtle these days. Who knows. He's certainly coming off as a little insecure by revisiting the '40% of all important rules revolve around me' thing all the time. I mean it's like, come up with some original material once in a while, amirite?

The Ten Commandments: The Original L.A.M.P.

Sup bud! YOU always make me laugh. As for that other guy, I don't find his jokes funny at all, especially the bald guy thing. Then he just keeps rubbing it in, teasing me with potential cures that never pan out. What an a-hole that guy is! At least he doesn't pull any of that 'flooding the world with rain water' or 'killing all the firstborn boys' crap anymore. Maybe he's finally growing up. Maybe his sense of humor is just a bit more subtle these days. Who knows. He's certainly coming off as a little insecure by revisiting the '40% of all important rules revolve around me' thing all the time. I mean it's like, come up with some original material once in a while, amirite?

The Ten Commandments: The Original L.A.M.P.

Careful dude. There is stuff you don't understand and it skews your anger. As for the bald thing don't forget about that Instant Carnation thing that the big man can do when he feels like it. There is stuff in this universe that will make your head spin. Whine too much about being bald and he'll make you a Gorgion from the planet Flimbot next time around. In case you are wondering, Gorgions make Chewbacka look like Kojak. You'll be wishing you were bald.

Edited by 4merper4mer

:lol:

Your attitude towards religion is obnoxious...but funny as ****. I still wish people "Happy Zombie Jesus Day" every Easter thanks to you.

Thanks man! That might be the nicest thing you've ever said to...well...anyone! Careful with the Zombie Jesus thing though. PPP gets MAD about that one I've found. :D

Just remember, while I don't post much, I'm always lurking, watching and judging. Kinda like You Know Who.

Careful dude. There is stuff you don't understand and it skews your anger. As for the bald thing don't forget about that Instant Carnation thing that the big man can do when he feels like it. There is stuff in this universe that will make your head spin. Whine too much about being bald and he'll make you a Gorgion from the planet Flimbot next time around. In case you are wondering, Gorgions make Chewbacka look like Kojak. You'll be wishing you were bald.

Breakfast drinks and Wookies? I'm so confused.

Sup bud! YOU always make me laugh. As for that other guy, I don't find his jokes funny at all, especially the bald guy thing. Then he just keeps rubbing it in, teasing me with potential cures that never pan out. What an a-hole that guy is!

when people rip on me for being bald, I tell them that I don't make fun of them for having less male hormones than than I do, and suggest that if they eat a little more red meat, they too can become a man some day.

Breakfast drinks and Wookies? I'm so confused.

When some people die they get another chance. It is called Instant Carnation. I don't know why it is named after a breakfast drink but maybe because it is a powder and you add water and then it is a drink. By the way I find the drink gross. Sort of like the big guy takes your soul, adds a body then it is a life? Anyway I didn't make up the name. Oh wait, maybe they named the drink after the event. You know like you are reviving yourself in the morning by drinking their product....like a new life. Anyway, I'm getting sidetracked. I'll do a GvG and get the answer to that.

The thing is you might not come back as a person. Everyone thinks they are coming back as a dog or a bird or single cell creature like a placebo but that is not what happens. If you have a conscience then you come back as something with a conscience if you come back at all. Anyway you could come back as another person with hair but you could also come back on another planet like Flimbot. The big man has lots of time on his hands though and you can never tell about his humor, so you could be real hairy or bald like 37 lives in a row.

when people rip on me for being bald, I tell them that I don't make fun of them for having less male hormones than than I do, and suggest that if they eat a little more red meat, they too can become a man some day.

Oh man it is getting bad in here. You and Geno should start a support group. Balds anonymous. But wear hats or you will kill your anonymity.

Oh man it is getting bad in here. You and Geno should start a support group. Balds anonymous. But wear hats or you will kill your anonymity.

the organization isn't called 'balds anonymous', it's called the Baldness Society, AKA BS.

Mosaic law is laws of the Jewish nations, religious and secular, and foundational to almost all Western law up to the present (and foundational to Sharia code, for that matter). That's why Moses is prominently displayed on the Supreme Court facade, between Solon and Confucius (the former likely, and the latter certainly a religious figure).

The Creed of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, in all His Noodly Glory, is not historical in any sense. Using satire as a reducto ad absurdum argument is itself absurd.

Sorry, but the courts have ruled that you are wrong. If you want to put them up you have to also allow other religions to put up their own monument. That would include the FSM, Islam, Satanism, and Buddhism.

Here's the Satanism monument going in the Oklahoma Statehouse:

http://www.vice.com/...omas-statehouse

You know how you can pinpoint a moron? When they say "Flying Spaghetti Monster."

How do you pinpoint a religious fanatic? When they belittle other religions but hold theirs sacrosanct.

Edited by Fingon

The framers created the constitution based on natural law which presupposes a divine power, which is why natural law was commonly referred to as "laws of the creator" in the age of the founders. To say that the founding of this country was entirely secular is ignorant, it's just not true.

There are so many better arguments you could be making about the religious intrusion into government, this is the worst possible case you could bring up.

They weren't speaking of a Christian god. Thomas Payne's http://en.wikipedia....e_Age_of_Reason makes that very clear. As does Thomas Jefferson's http://en.wikipedia....son's_Bible .

Or maybe the Treaty of Tripoli that was written by John Adams and unanimously ratified by Congress in 1797.

"As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion,—as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Mussulmen [Muslims],—and as the said States never entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mahometan [Mohammedan] nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_tripoli

Edited by Fingon

What this thread demonstrates, and these three posts specifically, is that you have no understanding of history, religion, or the constitution of the United States.

Other than those flaws, you're doing a bang up job here...

I think he's mostly pizzed because Moses was a Jew boy, and you know how he feels about THEM!

If he was genuinely interested in the laws behind the 10 Commandments, he'd at least read the book of Leviticus. That's got them all laid out in painful detail. And Joe, the tribes of Israel weren't a democracy, nor a representative democracy, but tenets of their legal and ethical code are a fundamental part of what is known as our sense of fair play: The Golden Rule...

Edited by Nanker

The framers created the constitution based on natural law which presupposes a divine power, which is why natural law was commonly referred to as "laws of the creator" in the age of the founders. To say that the founding of this country was entirely secular is ignorant, it's just not true.

There are so many better arguments you could be making about the religious intrusion into government, this is the worst possible case you could bring up.

The pagan Romans, English constitutional history and the secular humanists of the Enlightenment supplied the legal framework for the and governing and legal philosophy that underpinned the creation of our republic. Natural law grew out of those traditions not from some dreamy interpretation of what God thought was right. Human experience and and the school of hard knocks were the basis of our constitutional rights, not religion. If you read the Bill of Rights its all about reactions against the abuse of power they experienced. Same thing with checks and balances

They weren't speaking of a Christian god. Thomas Payne's http://en.wikipedia....e_Age_of_Reason makes that very clear. As does Thomas Jefferson's http://en.wikipedia....son's_Bible .

The notion that America was not founded on Christian values or by Christians is a modern Athiest myth used to promote an agenda. The truth is that the overwhelming majority of the Founders were Protestant, and that the philisophical inspiration for the founding of our Country, which is Lockean, is inseperable from Locke's Calvinist roots, or as he called them his "particular set of Protestant Christian assumptions".

These assumptions were the basis for Locke's opposition to the Divine Right of Kings, in which the monarch was also the head of the State Church, and derived his power from divine elevation.

Jefferson, when writing his Declaration, nearly plagerized Locke, sharing the belief that all men "are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights", which, again, directly opposed the authority of the State Church and that of George III on religious grounds.

Now, certainly not all of the Founders were Protestant. As you know, Paine certainly wasn't, as he was a Deist or possibly a Unitarian, as was Franklin; Jefferson was, in his untrusting way, an anti-clerical Christian; and Adams was a Unitarian Congregationalist.

That small, yet vocal minority, did not, however, speak for the the body of our nations Founding Fathers on the subject.

Of the 56 signatories of the Declaration of Independance, the four prior mentioned exempted from this list, 30 were Episcopalian or Anglican, 13 Were Congregationalists, 12 were Presbyterian, 2 were Quaker, and 1 was Catholic.

Of the 48 signatories of the Articles of Confederation, only Cornelius Harnett of North Carolina was a Diest. Of the remaining 47, 13 were Episcopalian or Anglican, 9 were Congregationalist, 4 were Presbyterian, 1 was Catholic, 1 was Quaker, 1 was Huguenot, 1 was Lutheran, and the remaining 18 were non-denominational Protestant.

Of the 55 Founders present at the Constitutional Convention, only Franklin was a Deist. However, 30 were Episcopalian or Anglican, 16 were Presbyterian, 8 were Congregationalist, 3 were Quaker, 2 were Catholic, 2 were Methodist, 2 were Lutheran, and 2 were Dutch Reformed.

As such, while the stated intent of the First Amendment to the Constitution prevents the establishment of a state sanctioned religion, and guarentees to free exercise of religion as an extension, it most certainly is directly informed by Protestant Christian values as those were the values of the men who wrote and signed it.

Sorry, but the courts have ruled that you are wrong. If you want to put them up you have to also allow other religions to put up their own monument. That would include the FSM, Islam, Satanism, and Buddhism.

Here's the Satanism monument going in the Oklahoma Statehouse:

http://www.vice.com/...omas-statehouse

How do you pinpoint a religious fanatic? When they belittle other religions but hold theirs sacrosanct.

What religion did I belittle?