Round 2 : Sale of the team

I realize the Wilson estate is due as much as it can get in the sale of the team, and God knows I'm grateful for RW for BILLS football and for doing a great deal to insure long-term commitment to the Buffalo and WNY area, but could this all end please?! I hope the estate and trust group see Pegula's bid as the only true, legitimate bid that will pay them fair market value for the team, while having an owner with chops and credibility to demonstrate his desire to not only keep the team in Buffalo for the purposes of languishing in the NFL, but to a real commitment to being a champion caliber team and franchise.....

I agree. seems to be more about the greed of Morgan Stanley, than the trust.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. seems to be more about the greed of Morgan Stanley, than the trust.

I don't know if it can be fairly categorized as greed. We have no idea what the terms of Morgan Stanley's contract with the Trust include. They may be obligated to make a good-faith effort to solicit the highest bids possible, in which case they have to do everything in their power to ensure that happens.

Additionally, it's not as though the process has been all that crazy really; the prospective owners all knew what they were taking on, so it shouldn't come as a surprise to them.

I believe the penalty is designed to protect any attempted move away from WNY. I do not believe the state or county would have an issue with a move to another location in WNY provided all were on board with financing etc.

I understand that was the intention of the clause (at least I think it was). And I agree Erie county would likely waive the penalties for any in-county stadium. I'm just not sure what happens if it the stadium is built in another WNY county. Perhaps they would be willing to work out a deal with a neighboring county if something is done there.

3 years to build. We dont know how far along they are in the money talks though. If those go well the Bills could be playing in a new building come 2018.

Well, I'm digging the positivity and hope you are right. You still haven't answered the question about the penalty clause in the lease, though. I'm not too worried though, as I think 3 years is far too aggressive of a time frame. As of now, there is no location, no environmental impact study, no financial agreements---you get the picture. The political wrangling, inevitable lawsuits, etc would take at least a year or so to settle before construction could even begin. You must think a lot of the planning (design, contract issues, etc) is already a good way down the road for this to happen in that time frame. Do you have inside information or it this pure speculation?

Know it's been assumed but adam begnini confirms it is Gundlach that Kelly is partnered with

@ByTimGraham: Another in-the-know source today echoed what I tweeted last week: The reported $1.3 billion Pegula bid waaaaaaay off. Actual bid much lower.

This is probably true, but they all know T Pegs has a cool new 1.75 BILLION that he could have dropped off via dump truck, in 20 dollar denominations. Which would be so dam hysterical.

I don't know if it can be fairly categorized as greed. We have no idea what the terms of Morgan Stanley's contract with the Trust include. They may be obligated to make a good-faith effort to solicit the highest bids possible, in which case they have to do everything in their power to ensure that happens.

Additionally, it's not as though the process has been all that crazy really; the prospective owners all knew what they were taking on, so it shouldn't come as a surprise to them.

I agree with you 100%, but it seems they went above, and beyond to make this a circus due to them distributing so many NDAs when the process kicked off. This may be a standard when teams are sold, but it seems a bit much.

Edited by DirtDart

Who knows what is going on with the sale, but it sure seems like the NFL is issuing something of an ultimatum that the Bills need a new stadium. Curious timing, unless the NFL believes that the current situation gives them maximum leverage to force the issue regarding a new stadium. This can only further complicate the sale process. Did not think this before, but I am now suspicious of the intentions of Goodell and the NFL. Maybe they really do not want a team in Buffalo long-term.

I think he's the best choice and hope he is the frontrunner.

But I'd be remiss in not considering just how much power this gives him locally. Owner of both pro teams, as well as involved in much of the downtown redevelopment. Maybe even the owner of a new multi-use stadium (yes, I know we are getting ahead of ourselves there). That gives him a ton of sway in a smallish town like Buffalo.

He also owns the Bandits and the Amerks, if I'm not mistaken.

The NFL wants a new stadium in Buffalo. No new news here. But in response to the notion that a new stadium would "improve the fan experience", someone else here on TSW said it first, and I think it bears (bares?) Repeating:

the best way to improve the fan experience is to keep ticket prices low.

I don't go to games, so I'm talking out of my rear a bit, but am I wrong? Are you ticket holders so disappointed by the stadium amenities that you would consider not going? I think I know the answer.

GO BILLS!!!

On a different note, they have been playing the $#!+ out of Bon Blow-me for the last month on my favorite classic rock station. That twerp sure has gotten a lot of exposure over this.

Well I own a crapload of season tickets. I have very simple needs: a place to sit and maybe a place to pee. But RWS could be a whole lot better. As for ticket prices I would certainly prefer they remain cheap, but I understand prices are going to go up, even may include a PSL.

You may thank me later for helping sell games out so you watch them on TV for free.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

@john_wawrow: #Bills have 7 years to work out new stadium deal. And there's confidence it gets done in WNY. And why else would Cuomo hire AECOM?

Votes? He may want to win by a 3-1 margin instead of 2-1.

He also owns the Bandits and the Amerks, if I'm not mistaken.

And the Elmira Jackals (ECHL) are now affilated :}

Can you own one sports franchise and a country music label in another city?

and gas holdings in other states? Goddell will pry say that disqualifies Tpegs.

I would love Pegula as owner of the Bills. Trump, not so much. Especially when he says idiotic things like this...: http://news.sky.com/...itter-draws-ire

Sky News, FOX News, NY Post = Ruppert Murdoch so he's a favorite son.

Well I own a crapload of season tickets. I have very simple needs: a place to sit and maybe a place to pee. But RWS could be a whole lot better. As for ticket prices I would certainly prefer they remain cheap, but I understand prices are going to go up, even may include a PSL.

You may thank me later for helping sell games out so you watch them on TV for free.

Out of state. I have to purchase Sunday Ticket to get Bills games, so in a sense, I also do my part.

Also out of state and pay for Sunday Ticket. I also pay through the nose when I go to Stub Hub and purchase the unused season tickets of those who purchase them and can't use them. I should try harder and could scalp a ticket at a fraction of the price, but by the time you've got air fare, car rental, hotel, etc. I want to know I've got a good seat in hand before I leave my couch. Hats of to the out of town season ticket holders!