New sale of team thread

Its amazing that more people don't see through this thinly disguised attempt at PR. The letter was exclusively posted at the Buffalo news driving a ton of traffic there as its a story of binational interest. Then the first 20 or so comments are people being told they're idiots for not believing JBJ. PR firms are beginning to understand how online articles work. People skim through then go to the comments section to read the discussion that follows. They (agenda) pay people with the literary and argumentative skills to sway an argument, and since traffic is all funneled there, its what every one see's. The simple fact is that once control is gained this letter means nothing. They bide time until the lease expires, then off our team goes.

Edited by Ohiostyle

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that's untrue. Granted, some of the quasi-owner titles and power he will surely have to relinquish. And by definition his actual power will lessen. But I think he remains in a top level position and likely will remain with a title like President and still do most of the same job he does now. He's great at it, highly respected, and there is no reason to bring someone else in to do it. He has little downside. He's as good a soldier as he could possibly be. He knows the league and the league knows him. It would be just stupid for any owner to not retain him with a hugely important title and role.

Non-football operations, no ownership responsibilities, is a huge downgrade, just like it was a huge upgrade when he was elevated --- he doesn't belong in any role managing the football side -- if that's what you are saying, I agree, if not, I don't.

Something i've been wondering about is whether or not he's baiting us. To make us look like the bad guys.

I mean he had to know the letter would go over like a turd in a punch bowl. I wonder if we make enough anti-Bon Jovi noise in response that he'll use it as an excuse to move it...

Because now he can spin it and say that he "wanted" to keep it here, but that it became obvious he couldn't given the response to his letter. That he had good intentions but our response to him changed that.

Good points, but regardless he has to win the bid (which I doubt) and potentially the NFL owners would have to turn down Pegula, Golisano (if he bids) and maybe even Trump before the trust goes with Toronto...

That would be some harsh PR for the league as well...

I don't want to hijack this thread, but there is no way Brandon keeps his current role with a new owner. Best case scenario for him is to return to a VP, Non-football operations position, worst case scenario is outright firing. At this time, Brandon is in a role as the quasi-owner because Ralph was no longer able to handle ownership duties, a new owner will be "the owner".

As for the JBJ letter, just another example that this guy is not ready for primetime of being an owner, another colossal PR fail.

Russ is one of the biggest reasons this team is going to stay in Buffalo; he'll very likely retain his current role (at least initially).

You may dislike him, but he has my utmost gratitude for his role in keeping the team here.

This letter is a very cynical, calculated move fueled by a perceived need for desperate action within the JBJ ownership camp.

GOOD. They know their goose is cooked.

For a host of reasons, I believe Pegula will be the new owner.

I think Brandon stays on in a diminished capacity; Pegula has learned his lesson with the Sabres regarding a need for cleaning house.

I don't think there is any reason to let Brandon go. He's made the Bills profitable, and he ended the Toronto debacle, which is what he needed to do to restore his credibility. Just stay out of football and we're fine.

Non-football operations, no ownership responsibilities, is a huge downgrade, just like it was a huge upgrade when he was elevated --- he doesn't belong in any role managing the football side -- if that's what you are saying, I agree, if not, I don't.

Except he doesn't manage the football side now. I don't know how many times this had been stated.

In the early months of 2013 the Toronto group hurled themselves upon the Buffalo Bills via a stadium site search in the Ontario Province. In pursuance of this knowledge being given to the general public in WNY, the current fan base of the Buffalo Bills, the local fans voiced their displeasure by stating overwhelmingly they would not support the team if the Toronto Group was the purchaser.

After several months of hearing the mob in the WNY region growing louder and louder, it became clear that one of 3 parties was going to have to address the situation. The NFL, the Trust or the Toronto group itself are full aware the massive hit that is going to be taken financially for the next 6 years or so given the lease arrangement.

And so it is, the Toronto group, as I predicted were the first to come out and attempt to quell the fears of the people. The NFL will surely comment either directly or indirectly through some of the owners in turn, there is to much at stake. Regardless if the Toronto Group wins the bid or not, they now lay before the Buffalo local fan base, prostrate, for they would not make an effort such as this open letter were it not for those very real fears.

Well put.

Quick question if I may (and if you know and are willing to share): did JBJ group advance, not advance, or is question tbd? Wondering whether jury is out at last nights politicking and the letter addresses the tbd issue. Also would explain relaxation of rules to allow golisano in to create competition if JBJ is out or tbd (and in general, I guess, but not the point of my question).

I suppose terms of trust could support your "not moving" statement (assuming statement considers post-lease bills), but under that scenario it's hard to explain such a mealy mouthed bongiovanni letter. Either JBJ is more direct under that scenario (better pr this way), or no need for suspect letter in first place.

They are a very, very, very, very, very long shot at this point. I do not think that anyone has been formally defined (no reason to as it may drive the price). I would guess that he is grasping at anything to try to stop the bleeding of that group.

I think that's untrue. Granted, some of the quasi-owner titles and power he will surely have to relinquish. And by definition his actual power will lessen. But I think he remains in a top level position and likely will remain with a title like President and still do most of the same job he does now. He's great at it, highly respected, and there is no reason to bring someone else in to do it. He has little downside. He's as good a soldier as he could possibly be. He knows the league and the league knows him. It would be just stupid for any owner to not retain him with a hugely important title and role.

Agree with you on all fronts. If he is given any other title he will end up as the president of another team in short order. I would be really surprised if he is not back.

Whaley reports to Brandon. Brandon's managed the entire operation since January 2013.

Everyone reports to Brandon -- that's sort of what "President" means. It doesn't mean he is "hands on" in the football operation (i.e., personnel), however.

Russ is one of the biggest reasons this team is going to stay in Buffalo; he'll very likely retain his current role (at least initially).

You may dislike him, but he has my utmost gratitude for his role in keeping the team here.

How has he kept team here ? As far as I see, he wasn't in position to move it and plays no role in regards to sale process ? I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I don't see that he's played a role in keeping team in WNY.

Everyone reports to Brandon -- that's sort of what "President" means. It doesn't mean he is "hands on" in the football operation (i.e., personnel), however.

Sure seemed like he played a significant role in the draft day trade for Watkins. All the images and comments suggested the same.

Whaley reports to Brandon. Brandon's managed the entire operation since January 2013.

So where in that statement does it say Brandon manages the football side.

Not technically but he is Whaley's boss

Right, that's correct. But he doesn't directly manage the football side, he lets Whaley take care of that.

If he manages Whaley and Whaley is GM, doesn't that mean Brandon is in charge of football operations ? at least it does in 99% of the organization structures I've seen.

He tries to stay hands off in that he ultimately defers the final decision to the football people. With that being said he is involved in every one.

I suspect that Mr. Bongiovanni's line about "risking it all" is borne of the same mindset that generated so many of the abhorrent sounds and empty lyrics that gave rise to the incredible wealth. Mr. Bongiovanni's letter insults our collective intelligence, but I'm glad that he is chosen to keep "talking" because it seems like he digs himself deeper every time he opens his mouth or puts pen to paper.

Well said, and thanks for the rest of that post as well.

For my part, I have contended planet earth should be a Bon Jovi-free zone for 30 years, and I am glad the sentiment has finally caught on. Horrible tripe, that music.