Does anyone actually think the coaches want to lose, especially this y

Virgil

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually this post does get at a key question important to understand what the Bills braintrust is trying to do. There is pretty much zero chance the Bills coaches are going to roll the dice for their future on EITHER:

Is that a joke?

They rolled the dice in a huge way last season by reaching up out of round to get a QB that wasn't even rated as a 1st-rounder by most draft experts.

Then this year they raised the stakes in an enormous gamble by trading away next year's 1st to get "tools" that last year's wonder pick won't even be able to make effective use of.

But

there is pretty much zero chance the Bills coaches are going to roll the dice for their future

LOL Yeah, OK.

If this gamble doesn't pay off this immediate season Whaley will never have another GM job and Marrone will never be the head coach for another NFL team.

Nobody thinks EJ is the worst QB on the team. He is the best option out of 3 bad QB's and there is nobody else out there worth getting so of course they are all in with EJ. They have no choice

I'm not so sure that that's agreed upon.

They have no choice because he's getting the money and if they don't play him and fail they'll look far worse than they already do and likely will during and after the season.

Each of the three QBs has his very limited set of assets, but none has demonstrated that he is a capable starter in the NFL. Both Lewis and Manuel posted comparable average per game numbers last season. Lewis had a slightly higher completion %, a better ypa, a lower TD% but also a lower INT%. Yards/start were just about identical.

Both had the same win % as starters.

I'm not seeing a significant difference. Everyone will talk about how Lewis sucks in camp. Yeah, well ... Manuel is good? Hardly.

Tuel brings something different but not better or worse seemingly.

We have three backup caliber QBs on the team. The only question is are they all more #2s or #3s.

As opposed to those that are going to look brilliant when not a 1/2 season, but a 1/2 NFL season and 4 seasons of judgments play out and EJ doesn't every do anymore than he did in any of those, which was what he did last season.

I think the difference in those two groups is those that want to move on from EJ after one half-season are saying this based on their PREDICTION of the future. Those that want to wait (until at least after this year, don't see anyone saying give him 4 years) before moving on from EJ are willing to base their opinion on how the future ACTUALLY PLAYS OUT.

Put me in the second camp...

Also, pretty funny the responses without actually reading the original post!

It's rather funny that a person to who called the OP retarded and stupid didn't understand the premise of the post. Talk about putting your foot in your mouth!

OP should change the thread title then, because that's what he said.

Likely if EJ totally flops this year, they'll blame it on the OC and bring in another one for next season. Whaley isn't going anywhere unless the new owner has a guy all picked out. Marrone maybe but even him, I'd bet gets another year with agreed changes to his staff.

If this gamble doesn't pay off this immediate season Whaley will never have another GM job and Marrone will never be the head coach for another NFL team.

When I read all of these threads about EJ being terrible and CJ getting traded, I can only think one thing. That people who think these things assume that the coaches don't want the best players out there and don't care if they win.

IF, and I mean IF, they thought about trading for another QB or benching EJ, it would because they thought EJ couldn't win. If they start EJ, which they are going to, then that means that they believe he will give them their best chance to win.

Same for trading Spiller. If they were going to trade him, then they would have to believe that they have a better rb tandem without him here.

I just refuse to believe that Marrone is sitting back and thinking about how to put the least competitive team on the field. It just makes no sense. Especially this year when we will have a new owner who will want to put their stamp on the franchise. If Marrone can't show that he can win, I think he is gone after this year. Not that I think he should be, but that's how it goes with new owners usually, unless there is a "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." situation.

AND, on the off chance that you think that they are just making dumb decisions by sticking with EJ because he was a first round pick or because CJ is worth more as a 3rd round pick, then just cash it in on this season because the people running the show are idiots and will make way more mistakes throughout the season.

Just thoughts

For those that got confused and didn't actually read what I wrote...

When I read all of these threads about EJ being terrible and CJ getting traded, I can only think one thing. That people who think these things assume that the coaches don't want the best players out there and don't care if they win.

IF, and I mean IF, they thought about trading for another QB or benching EJ, it would because they thought EJ couldn't win. If they start EJ, which they are going to, then that means that they believe he will give them their best chance to win.

Same for trading Spiller. If they were going to trade him, then they would have to believe that they have a better rb tandem without him here.

I just refuse to believe that Marrone is sitting back and thinking about how to put the least competitive team on the field. It just makes no sense. Especially this year when we will have a new owner who will want to put their stamp on the franchise. If Marrone can't show that he can win, I think he is gone after this year. Not that I think he should be, but that's how it goes with new owners usually, unless there is a "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." situation.

AND, on the off chance that you think that they are just making dumb decisions by sticking with EJ because he was a first round pick or because CJ is worth more as a 3rd round pick, then just cash it in on this season because the people running the show are idiots and will make way more mistakes throughout the season.

Just thoughts

Of course they don't want to lose and they think they are putting the best players out there, but that doesn't mean we will win.

Whaley can say he wants to win and that we are going to the playoffs but saying it and doing it are two different thing. He had a good draft but how often do rookies help to put a team over the top let alone give us a winning record.

Bottom line is we don't have the QBs to get the job done. Out of the three Tuel looks to be the best even though ej has more talent. :(

There are so many posters on this board who are going to look absolutely ridiculous when EJ has a good year and turns out to be a pretty darn good QB. The fact that so many rush to judgement based on 1/2 a season last year (which he was actually pretty good in considering he was a rookie, our OLine sucked, rookie HC and OC, lost significant development time to injury) and 2 drives during the pre-season is so laughable to me that I can't even describe it.

keep dreaming

You forgot to list in that list of excuses that he wasn't eating properly, his jock strap was a little too tight because the equipment guy didn't realize how huge he was, that one of the bars in his face mask was blocking his view, that on numerous key plays the sun was right in his eyes or a raindrop hit him in the eyes just as he was releasing, or that his feelings were hurt because he didn't have 100% fan approval on us drafting him and that affected his play.

Yes, you are example number 1 of the ridiculous. Congratulations.

keep dreaming

And the fact that you post anything regarding QBs anymore is the most laughable of all. But I guess if you proclaim every back-up in the league and every QB coming out of college the next big thing you are bound to hit on it eventually. Blind squirrel / acorn and all.

At least I, and most reasonable people here, are willing to give the kid a fair shake before we proclaim him the next in a long line of failures.

Edited by Mark80

Of course they don't want to lose and they think they are putting the best players out there, but that doesn't mean we will win.

Whaley can say he wants to win and that we are going to the playoffs but saying it and doing it are two different thing. He had a good draft but how often do rookies help to put a team over the top let alone give us a winning record.

Bottom line is we don't have the QBs to get the job done. Out of the three Tuel looks to be the best even though ej has more talent. :(

Yeah....Manning didnt do crap till he was going against our 2's and 3's......Tuel was going AGAINST THEIR BACKUPS........

Yeah....Manning didnt do crap till he was going against our 2's and 3's......Tuel was going AGAINST THEIR BACKUPS........

Tuel is better in practice too and with the QB rotation they use he goes against the ones as much as ej.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

You obviously did not read the post, just the title. I am not sure when it became acceptable to write what you did about another poster but it is not only off the mark because you did not bother to read the post, it would be unacceptable even if he meant what you thought. At least I thought those were the rules. Hoping the mods agree. I share your frustration with the level of discourse on the site at times, but come on man.

Yea, I got a warning for a lot less than this. I must have messed up during a slow time for football.