Training Camp tweets & media reports, week 3

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems to be interesting that a lot of media focuses on broken plays, but if you look at the play by plays of a few practices, there's a lot of good happening...

So what are we supposed to believe?

Broken plays contribute to more clicks and more followers...

Here's a thought... There's some really knowledgeable (x's and o's) posters on this board that are from the Rochester and surrounding areas in WNY. Some of them them use twitter. Many of them go to camp. You should all "follow" each other and them and include more of their play by play tweets in the mix and less tweets from the same 3 reporters who may not know the game at that level (ie. calling a pass overthrown when the WR went to the wrong spot or cut off his route ). Then at least we can formulate a more informed opinion when our Qb's F up :)

Here's a thought... There's some really knowledgeable (x's and o's) posters on this board that are from the Rochester and surrounding areas in WNY. Some of them them use twitter. Many of them go to camp. You should all "follow" each other and them and include more of their play by play tweets in the mix and less tweets from the same 3 reporters who may not know the game at that level (ie. calling a pass overthrown when the WR went to the wrong spot or cut off his route ). Then at least we can formulate a more informed opinion when our Qb's F up :)

If anyone wants to share their twitter handle and don't mind tweeting during camp, let me know. Or just tweet using #billscamp. I don't want this thread to end up being a media bashing thread, and I think that can happen naturally based on what they put out there sometimes.

If anyone wants to share their twitter handle and don't mind tweeting during camp, let me know. Or just tweet using #billscamp. I don't want this thread to end up being a media bashing thread, and I think that can happen naturally based on what they put out there sometimes.

:thumbsup:

It works both ways. The fans who report on practice often have blinders on due to their fandom and find the good and ignore the bad. Much of the media has been conditioned to same old bills, and they aren't biased by fandom, and report a lot of the bad.

It works both ways. The fans who report on practice often have blinders on due to their fandom and find the good and ignore the bad. Much of the media has been conditioned to same old bills, and they aren't biased by fandom, and report a lot of the bad.

I don't mean just anyone. I mean people like Mike2332 or wtvr the # was :) , and folks like that. Proven posters who know what they are seeing (most of the time - we are all wrong at times - I was fooled by Rob Johnson Yipes!). I think we have found a good # of them on this board though.

This site needs an "EJ Meter" - a small Flash app that updates on his play in real-time throughout training camp based on twitter feedback. Sort of like a DEFCON 1-5 thing.

As luck (and a quick Google search on the Intarwebs) would have it I was able to procure a sneak peak at a device that very well might fit the bill. Behold:

We might have to fiddle with it a bit to get it working well enough but there are lots of folks here that are experts at fiddling around.

Belichick says this board helps him more than video.

Well, Beliache knows that the fans on this board seem to know more about what's going on with this team than most anyone else.

Social media + NFL preseason = absurdity

EJ Manuel's "here and there" struggles during this training camp possibly could be due in large part because he happens to be going against one of the best front four (and possibly defensively overall) in the entire league. So I really don't mind that he's struggling at times because the coaches can help him correct any glaring mistakes while this is all just practice. Think of how confident he'll be if he starts to light up our defense going into the season. He'll know that any team he faces won't be much better than what he's been facing all training camp.

This instant judging from "play by play" tweets stuff is ridiculous. Because if Manuel and the Bills offense lights up the Bears on opening day, a month and a half worth of board hand wringing melts away in three short hours. It would be the same thing if Manuel was playing "off the hook" in practice and falling flat on his face in the Chicago game. Nothing matters except for what he does in that first game. You can feel good or bad reading about his performance practices, but in the end, it's meaningless. Have fun reading about it, but let's put training camp in perspective. Trent Edwards was a great practice QB. I imagine if twitter were around a few years ago, many here would have predicted the Bills going to the Superbowl...LOL

This should be a site disclaimer! Everyone should read it. I couldn't agree more.

I agree, and I contribute to it - thought it would be a fun way to keep track of camp, but it is been frustrating with the media deciding what they do and do not want to report for the sake of clicks.

Yes, you do contribute to it. But, from this one person's perspective, your thread and concept here... rocks! Honestly, its the first and last thread I read every day. For those of us nontwitin facebookin antisocialites, I would never see all these comments ... good and bad. And greatly appreciate the efforts by you and other posters to keep us lazy posters better informed. So, thank you.

Yes, you do contribute to it. But, from this one person's perspective, your thread and concept here... rocks! Honestly, its the first and last thread I read every day. For those of us nontwitin facebookin antisocialites, I would never see all these comments ... good and bad. And greatly appreciate the efforts by you and other posters to keep us lazy posters better informed. So, thank you.

I guess I assume everyone will read and form their own opinion... but I am not sure that the readers' opinion isn't being deliberately influenced by the person who observed and tweeted. I have seen on more than one occassion where a play has looked one way to one person and a different way to another. Both watching the same practice. I am not "defending" EJ because I am not there, but it seems quite possible that at least some of the "INT" and "sacks" and "overthrows" are on the WR, OL or other. Because this is practice and we haven't even gotten to what would normally be Game 1 of the PS, it is great that we can get a feel for what they are doing in camp. I especially appreciate the pics. But I also know that in practice, they are using pieces and parts of the playbook in prep for the season. Trying to determine what works and what doesn't in certain formations. The finished product may look very little like we see in late July and early August because everything is SO match-up oriented once you get to the real games. If McKelvin can't cover Sammy, people get excited about Sammy. We need to realize he needs to be able to cover a guy like Sammy - we play some outstanding WRs in the NFC North. If Gilmore gets a pick while covering Sammy, we blame EJ. We need to realize that we need Gilmore to get picks while covering a guy like Sammy! That is what makes TC so very difficult to analyze via observance, whether it be sitting in the stands or at the computer via twitter.

Edited by YoloinOhio

There is a fundamental, psychological flaw with anyone who is a true Bills fan. This flaw is inherent even in "homers" and "fan boys" just to a lesser extent and often times manifested in different ways.

We are defeatists. We simply expect failure. We expect it because its what we know. Even the Bills greatest accomplishment (making the Superbowl 4 years in a row) is saddled with the caveat that they lost all 4 too.

Remember a year ago when we drafted a DEVELOPMENTAL quarterback, who was supposed to sit behind a vet, learn and develop? Are we seriously going to crucify the guy already? Just stop and think about it.

Defeatists...

There is a fundamental, psychological flaw with anyone who is a true Bills fan. This flaw is inherent even in "homers" and "fan boys" just to a lesser extent and often times manifested in different ways.

We are defeatists. We simply expect failure. We expect it because its what we know. Even the Bills greatest accomplishment (making the Superbowl 4 years in a row) is saddled with the caveat that they lost all 4 too.

Remember a year ago when we drafted a DEVELOPMENTAL quarterback, who was supposed to sit behind a vet, learn and develop? Are we seriously going to crucify the guy already? Just stop and think about it.

Defeatists...

I'm a true Bills fan, and I have zero sense of defeatist mentality.

Overall though, many of us are, in fact, that way to an extent.

Just read my sig. There are a TON of "realists" around here. That's what juice_32 is talking about.

You are a better man than most or you are in denial. I thought for sure Lindell was going to miss that 38 yarder to finally beat the pats* 3 years ago. The thought never crossed your mind?

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it or that it is any of our faults. Its kind of like a losers PTSD. I'm pretty sure you have a touch of it somewhere deep down...

You are a better man than most or you are in denial. I thought for sure Lindell was going to miss that 38 yarder to finally beat the pats* 3 years ago. The thought never crossed your mind?

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it or that it is any of our faults. Its kind of like a losers PTSD. I'm pretty sure you have a touch of it somewhere deep down...

Honestly? No.

I believe too strongly in the power of the mind to be negative.

Well then you are the perfect person to ask this question: What do you think of EJ?

I'm on the record many times about him, but I'll humor ya... ;)

I think he's got all the physical ability in the world. He's a smart kid and a hard worker; he really wants to be a good football player.

I also think he's got deficiencies in his game. Most notably: his lower-body mechanics, pocket presence, and decision-making need to improve. From his rookie season, the ball needs to come out sooner, and he's got to take more shots down the field. Are these things fixable? Yes. Am I certain he'll get them straightened out to a point where he'll be a consistently-good NFL starting QB? No.

I'd say I'm 50/50 on whether or not he'll be the guy. As I've said, I'll be taking the season in quarters, and I'll expect to see improvement from EJ on a quarter-season-to-quarter-season basis.

I think he's got all the physical ability in the world. He's a smart kid and a hard worker; he really wants to be a good football player.

I also think he's got deficiencies in his game. Most notably: his lower-body mechanics, pocket presence, and decision-making need to improve. From his rookie season, the ball needs to come out sooner, and he's got to take more shots down the field. Are these things fixable? Yes. Am I certain he'll get them straightened out to a point where he'll be a consistently-good NFL starting QB? No.

I'd say I'm 50/50 on whether or not he'll be the guy. As I've said, I'll be taking the season in quarters, and I'll expect to see improvement from EJ on a quarter-season-to-quarter-season basis.

Fair enough. I still think that 99% of Bills fans have a touch of defeatism built in. It is refreshing to know that not everyone is ready to jump off a building because our second year QB has thrown INT's in camp.

EJ is nowhere near a finished product. But I get it, patience is a tough sell to Bills fans. The season can not start soon enough!

Edited by Juice_32

Well I hope you don't have really high expectations for the forth of those quarter of a seasons.

@Denver

Packers

@raiders

@patriots