WR rotation in HOF game

And I'm a couple confidence lays away from bagging Natalie Portman... :thumbsup:

Seriously though...In my over 40 years following the NFL I cannot remember a single player that got more run based on the way he practices, and not the way he actually plays in real games...And this is not to say that Hogan cannot turn into a quality NFL slot WR...To be honest I have no idea because he's barely played...But his legend is growing and he's basically done nothing in the NFL or College...During that time Robert Woods was one of the best College WR's vs big time competition, and he had a very promising Rookie season...

I know this much...It's just too cute, even in the first preseason game, to play him ahead of Woods...Woods is a competitor and if anyone thinks this kind of thing just rubs off a kid like Robert Woods...I kind of doubt it...He wants to be in there and he knows he deserves to be in there based on his ability and actual play on the field in the NFL on Sundays...I really could care less what the reasons are to start Hogan in the slot...It's dumb...At this point in time Woods is better than Hogan and it's case closed...But I've got used to the fact that these are just things Marrone and Hackett do for whatever reason...Now...If they want to say Hogan is pushing for time in the slot, or he's pushing Goodwin for the #4 WR position, I'm fine with that...But if he continues to take time away from Robert Woods he damn well better be the next coming of Wes Welker...And...btw...He's not... B-)

Hogan isn't taking meaningful snaps from Woods during the reg season. One of the goals of the preseason games is to evaluate players to determine the 53 for the season and they are going to tinker with packages and lineups to do that. It could have been that the Giants play a similar D or have similar personnel to another team we play this year and they wanted to see what Hogan could do in the slot against the 1's. Maybe he never plays but the reason he would be kept on the roster is in case of injury; they need to have a plan for that. I really don't think they have any questions about Woods can do. I also think that by giving Woods to Tuel and Thad it enables the coaches to see what those QBs do with a starting WR who runs crisp routes and they know is likely to make the catch.

Hogan isn't taking meaningful snaps from Woods during the reg season. One of the goals of the preseason games is to evaluate players to determine the 53 for the season and they are going to tinker with packages and lineups to do that. It could have been that the Giants play a similar D or have similar personnel to another team we play this year and they wanted to see what Hogan could do in the slot against the 1's. Maybe he never plays but the reason he would be kept on the roster is in case of injury; they need to have a plan for that. I really don't think they have any questions about Woods can do. I also think that by giving Woods to Tuel and Thad it enables the coaches to see what those QBs do with a starting WR who runs crisp routes and they know is likely to make the catch.

Well...Here's the thing Yolo...We don't know yet if Hogan will take time away from Woods...It's seemingly obvious he won't...Which is part of my whole point...If it's obvious why not get the starting QB, who struggles at times more than any of the WR's, reps in a preseason game with the actual WR's he's going to be playing with come opening day?... And you listen to Murph...You can't tell me there is not a mini-campaign going on for Hogan to start in the slot...Murph pretty much talks about it every night...We know he get fed his info from some pretty strong sources...I'm ultra-suspicious on this one...

I'm just no where near the point of giving Marrone and Hackett the benefits of any doubt...Don't get me wrong...I want them to succeed in the worst way...But at times I feel like they get in their own way with stuff like this...And admittedly that may just be me... B-)

Woods is the most consistent thing we have. the guy just gets open. Mike Williams will be a good physical presence but Woods is still our 2nd best guy. I would have liked to have seen better body control by Williams on that pass in the endzone. The guy had a good matchup physically vs that DB and that ball was catchable. There's no reason he couldn't box him out and go up and grab that. If you watch the replay he just terribly mistimed that jump. Need to work on that Mr Caveman

Either way, I think we'd all agree that TJ Graham is !@#$ing toast.

At least two passes bonked right off his god damned hands, one resulting in a goal line INT.

God helps those, TJ.

I've been as anti-Graham as anyone, but it's now coming so far that I feel bad for him more than anything. It wasn't his fault he was drafted 2-4 rounds too high. He's trying the best he can; he's just not good enough. He's not a natural football player, or at least not a natural WR. He's a good enough athlete to be in the NFL, but so are a lot of guys who haven't made it. I do wonder if he could be a candidate to convert to defensive back.

I liked seeing Woods in the slot as he was able to run through blocks and get good yards after the catch/hits. Hopefully the Bills will use Woods in the slot this year as I feel he can be very effective there.

Joe B said on WGR this morning that he wondered if maybe the Bills are second-guessing using Woods in the slot after all. I think that is a bit of a reach.

Joe B said on WGR this morning that he wondered if maybe the Bills are second-guessing using Woods in the slot after all. I think that is a bit of a reach.

I'm telling you Yolo...I hope I'm wrong, or maybe more specifically I hope they are right...But it just seems to me they have a serious case of Hogan-love...I mean a serious case...Like they are infatuated with him to point where they are actually considering having him on the field in lieu of Woods...Especially in the slot...I just don't buy this "experimenting" stuff...Woods is a 2nd round pick, a former consensus All American at USC, and had almost 600 yds in 14 games as a Rookie...Why even take the chance of messing with his role unless you're serious about the possibility of Hogan supplanting him in the top 3?...

Anyway...Like I said before...It's all just too cute for my taste...Experiment or not...I don't like it...And if Woods had gotten hurt in the 3rd quarter of that game playing vs the Giants 3rd team D this board would have exploded... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

Well...Here's the thing Yolo...We don't know yet if Hogan will take time away from Woods...It's seemingly obvious he won't...Which is part of my whole point...If it's obvious why not get the starting QB, who struggles at times more than any of the WR's, reps in a preseason game with the actual WR's he's going to be playing with come opening day?... And you listen to Murph...You can't tell me there is not a mini-campaign going on for Hogan to start in the slot...Murph pretty much talks about it every night...We know he get fed his info from some pretty strong sources...I'm ultra-suspicious on this one...

I'm just no where near the point of giving Marrone and Hackett the benefits of any doubt...Don't get me wrong...I want them to succeed in the worst way...But at times I feel like they get in their own way with stuff like this...And admittedly that may just be me... B-)

I guess I see it as it is an "extra" PS game... so we still have all 4 to give EJ reps with the starters. And of all the starters, Woods is the one he is the most in synch with. I do listen to Murph, and I haven't sensed a campaign to get Hogan to start... although I do think that he (and everyone in the local media) seems to think he should make the team - and looks great in camp. That's about it. Edited by YoloinOhio

For me, it was pretty simple. Who is the one player they know a LOT about...Woods. Who are 2 new guys...Sammy and Williams.

Seems they wanted to see what Sammy and Mike can do, more importantly Mike, in the first team offense. They used the extra preseason game, the first one and most meaningless, to get a gauge of this. Hogan is another guy they wanted to see in the first team. The most logical game to try this is this bonus extra game, and first of the year, to see some lineups that are not necessarily the lineups they want to prep for come week 1.

I fully expect to see Woods play inside and outside during the season. I think Woods and Sammy are it on 2 WR sets outside the red zone. Inside the redzone we will see Sammy/Woods along side Mike in 2 WR sets.

In 3 wide sets I expect we will see 2 different formations...

Sammy and Woods outside, with Goodwin inside, especially when we are on our side of the field or in long down situations. Then I think we see Sammy and Mike outside with Woods inside when we are inside the redzone, key 3rd downs, down and short situations etc.

4 Wide sets will see Hogan/Goodwin inside along with Woods, Sammy and Mike outside. Hogan and Goodwin will alternate in this formation depending on the situation.

Hogan for me comes in on possession type routes like down and short situations. Goodwin is in to stretch the field and take the top off the D, especially on long downs and plays where they want to take a shot. Goodwin is definitely the more talented player and I expect him to see more snaps than Hogan in the regular season barring injury.

Hogan Love. I think I've heard it all now.

It's spreading like wildfire... :lol:

I hope Y'all understand I'm half kidding when I say these things....Thought I do think these coaches are really impressed with Hogan's practice habits...Or whatever... B-)

I guess I see it as it is an "extra" PS game... so we still have all 4 to give EJ reps with the starters. And of all the starters, Woods is the one he is the most in synch with. I do listen to Murph, and I haven't sensed a campaign to get Hogan to start... although I do think that he (and everyone in the local media) seems to think he should make the team - and looks great in camp. That's about it.

Murph has been slobbering all over Hogan since close to the beginning of Camp...He was the first one who brought up the fact that Hogan was running with the 1's in the slot...I swear he's mentioned it multiple times including having Hogan on to talk about it...Anyway...If Hogan is in the slot again this week the first time we go to 3 wides I guess it will be a bigger story...Right now who knows what they are doing...I just find it potentially troubling...Potentially... :D

It's spreading like wildfire... :lol:

I hope Y'all understand I'm half kidding when I say these things....Thought I do think these coaches are really impressed with Hogan's practice habits...Or whatever... B-)

Murph has been slobbering all over Hogan since close to the beginning of Camp...He was the first one who brought up the fact that Hogan was running with the 1's in the slot...I swear he's mentioned it multiple times including having Hogan on to talk about it...Anyway...If Hogan is in the slot again this week the first time we go to 3 wides I guess it will be a bigger story...Right now who knows what they are doing...I just find it potentially troubling...Potentially... :D

If it continues, I will need to stock up on vodka.

i think it was a smart move to see how the players would work. ej is comfortable with woods the coaches know this and want to see him throw to the other wrs. it also helps to gauge woods with the different qbs as well. its preseason this is the time for player assessment. it makes sense to see guys get more playing time than expected.

i think it was a smart move to see how the players would work. ej is comfortable with woods the coaches know this and want to see him throw to the other wrs. it also helps to gauge woods with the different qbs as well. its preseason this is the time for player assessment. it makes sense to see guys get more playing time than expected.

OK...So...EJ is comfortable with Woods...I agree with that 100%...

But...EJ's been a bit inconsistent since day #1...Can we agree on that too? So...Instead of trying to throw out a bunch of combinations of WR's like you can do with a guy like Peyton Manning and have it not matter whatsoever, does it not make sense to give him Woods as much as humanly possible in the preseason in order to build that relationship and build his confidence?...

If I was Marrone I would have Woods out there every time EJ is on the field...EJ needs as much familiarity and consistancy as he can get at this period of his development...

Just saying... B-)