31 Marines Just Perished in a Chopper Crash

Mark VI

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From a friend of mine who is flying Chinooks for the Army in Iraq, the biggest fears he has are:

Ground to air missles

Dust storms

Inexperienced co-pilots

The report I heard this morning on my way in was it was due to a dust storm.

This is a horrible horrible story.

It's too bad that no one cares when this type of thing happens in North Carolina or Southern California. Because it happens in a war that some oppose, now it's all over the media and you have idiots making jokes on internet message boards.

Talk about grand schemes of things...

It's too bad that no one cares when this type of thing happens in North Carolina or Southern California.  Because it happens in a war that some oppose, now it's all over the media and you have idiots making jokes on internet message boards.

219505[/snapback]

Apparently even the "peace time" military is pretty dangerous. That kind of explains the huge buildings on every base/camp/post/station that has the word "SAFETY" over the door.

Last year I found a DoD spreadsheet (sorry, don't have the link anymore) that had a breakdown on the military killed in accidents, murder, suicide, sickness and combat over the last 20 years.

We lose an average of 1000 servicemen every year in peacetime.

It's too bad that no one cares when this type of thing happens in North Carolina or Southern California.  Because it happens in a war that some oppose, now it's all over the media and you have idiots making jokes on internet message boards.

219505[/snapback]

Take it as a distasteful joke if you like... Obviously, it hits home. I felt I would just beat some of the people who claim it Bush's fault the trouble of asking.

Unfortunately, tragedy happens all the time... Like some said, even during peace time.

I do feel for the families of the ones lost. My deepest heartfelt sympathy goes out. It is also a needless one, IMHO.

People die everyday. I will someday. My loved ones will too.

Life has to go on. Just because some of the living pass on to a greater place, doesn't mean the living have to die with them.

Sometimes reverent humor can go a long way in lighting your load. Of course there will always be the sensitive ones that cast stones. To those, I say look inward.

Peace.

Take it as a distasteful joke if you like... Obviously, it hits home.  I felt I would just beat some of the people who claim it Bush's fault the trouble of asking.

Unfortunately, tragedy happens all the time... Like some said, even during peace time.

I do feel for the families of the ones lost.  My deepest heartfelt sympathy goes out.  It is also a needless one, IMHO.

People die everyday.  I will someday.  My loved ones will too.

Life has to go on.  Just because some of the living pass on to a greater place, doesn't mean the living have to die with them.

Sometimes reverent humor can go a long way in lighting your load.  Of course there will always be the sensitive ones that cast stones.  To those, I say look inward.

Peace.

219945[/snapback]

The 'joke' as you put it, is supposed to mentioned by the side opposite of you in order to be funny. In this case however, you will notice that no such attempt was made by that other side.

The 'joke' as you put it, is supposed to mentioned by the side opposite of you in order to be funny.  In this case however, you will notice that no such attempt was made by that other side.

219966[/snapback]

Probably because no matter who said it, it still wasn't funny. For no reason other than it simply wasn't funny.

Now, "Karl Rove's fault!" That would have been funny.

Probably because no matter who said it, it still wasn't funny.  For no reason other than it simply wasn't funny.

Now, "Karl Rove's fault!"  That would have been funny.

219970[/snapback]

True, true. To the extent that one can reasonably argue that it was his fault for putting those specific troops in harms way if you wanted to.

I guess it is the same reason why people find it compelling to look, stare, ot "laugh" off a tragic event... Not because it is funny but, to say "gee, sure glad it wasn't me or one of my loved ones." Sounds selfish but, it is a very effective coping measure.

O well.

THANK YOU, Wacka and Darin. Terrible, this tragedy...but also something that goes on with military operations everywhere...all the time.

Quite simply, only a moronic !@#$ would connect this accident to the war itself.

219620[/snapback]

Sorry, but this terrible accident and loss of 31 American lives is directly and irrefutably due to the war. The fact is, and only is, if that copter was not in Iraq doing what it was doing it would not have gone down and those men and women would be alive today. You're talking about OTHER copters and accidents in peacetime places like back home and bases around the world that are having accidents while they practice that are not being reported.

True, true.  To the extent that one can reasonably argue that it was his fault for putting those specific troops in harms way if you wanted to.

I guess it is the same reason why people find it compelling to look, stare, ot "laugh" off a tragic event... Not because it is funny but, to say "gee, sure glad it wasn't me or one of my loved ones."  Sounds selfish but, it is a very effective coping measure.

O well.

219996[/snapback]

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm not knocking gallows humor...far from it. I routinely indulge in humor in very poor taste, and recognize its value for some as a coping mechanism (not me...I'm just an !@#$.)

I just didn't think your joke was funny...not because it was in poor taste. Because it just wasn't funny.

Oh, don't get me wrong.  I'm not knocking gallows humor...far from it.  I routinely indulge in humor in very poor taste, and recognize its value for some as a coping mechanism (not me...I'm just an !@#$.)

I just didn't think your joke was funny...not because it was in poor taste.  Because it just wasn't funny.

220002[/snapback]

I hear you!

At least I finally made a sig! (On The Rocks)... :doh: :doh: