Hogan

The Wiz

ive got to ask - i remember being annoyed sometime mid season last year with hogan having a drop, or blowing a route that he was thrown to or something..... am i completely misremembering? I searched chris hogan drops and a thread on BBMB came up with reference to missing 2 passes one game, but some mentioned that 1 of the 2 was uncatchable and the other wasnt an easy catch despite being one that could be made.

Its just one of those things hanging in the back of my head when i hear that he catches everything (the old "sure but he only has 10 catches for 83 yards and i swear he messed something up along the way too).

even if my memory is right it doesnt drastically change anything - its just bothering me that i cant remember the situation.

so im not crazy?

I don't remember the game but it was late in the year and 1 was right in his hands on 3rd down.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One play that probably wasn't an official drop but I thought he should have caught was in overtime against the Bengals on 3rd down which killed a drive. It wasn't a great pass, and I would probably have to watch it again, but I think he should have caught it. I could be wrong and mistaking that play for another one however.

One play that probably wasn't an official drop but I thought he should have caught was in overtime against the Bengals on 3rd down which killed a drive. It wasn't a great pass, and I would probably have to watch it again, but I think he should have caught it. I could be wrong and mistaking that play for another one however.

the thread i mentioned had a post saying that one was probably uncatchable but there was another earlier in the game that he probably should have had. a few people were beating him up for both.

but that was just a message board thread. the OP essentially saying that if he was good he wouldve had both even though neither was simple, but he got his hands on them each.

Edited by NoSaint

the thread i mentioned had a post saying that one was probably uncatchable but there was another earlier in the game that he probably should have had. a few people were beating him up for both.

but that was just a message board thread. the OP essentially saying that if he was good he wouldve had both even though neither was simple, but he got his hands on them each.

I was beating him up for both at the time. ;)

Right. A lot depends on Easley. If he makes the team, he is likely going to be active game days. Neither Hogan nor TJ would be active if Watkins, MWilliams, Woods and Goodwin are all healthy. Marrone really seems to like Hogan these days. If Easley does not make the team, then Hogan likely makes it over TJ although it's very possible if not likely they keep both.

If they cut an excellent special teams option like Easley to keep Brad Lamb er, I mean, Chris Hogan- I will seriously question whether this GM and/or head coach know what they're doing. Then again, they did keep Lee Smith on the roster all of last season...I still haven't figured out exactly what purpose Smith serves (although he does exhale carbon dioxide which is needed by plant life).

If they cut an excellent special teams option like Easley to keep Brad Lamb er, I mean, Chris Hogan- I will seriously question whether this GM and/or head coach know what they're doing. Then again, they did keep Lee Smith on the roster all of last season...I still haven't figured out exactly what purpose Smith serves (although he does exhale carbon dioxide which is needed by plant life).

Smith is kept because neither Chandler nor Gragg can block a lick. At least that makes logical sense.

We specifically brought in several good special teamers: Dixon, Corey Graham, Sylvester the Cat, Preston Brown, etc. The loss of Easley would not be a great as it would have been last year. But I think we should still keep him, especially if we are considering keeping TJ and Hogan. Keeping one of them and Easley is probably the best and most prudent choice.

Doing this I feel like the teams were cherry picked a bit in that they either a. had no WRs at all let alone 4 b. threw heavily to TEs in lieu of WRs (Jimmy Graham, Antonio Gates, LaDarius Green, Jordan Cameron) or c. both

For example New England's #4 WR was Kenbrell Thompkins who caught 32 for 466 and Green Bay's #4 was Randall Cobb who had 31 for 433.

I don't feel like going through the whole league, you can if you want to.

four random teams I chose. I was going to add min, Chicago, Houston and Atlanta if I kept going

I'll play along. These are the 4th in receiving yards (not 4th receiver option) of WR's on each team that played in 16 games.

Jets: Stephen Hill - 342

Panthers: Ted Ginn - 556

Bengals: Mohamid Sanu - 455

Chargers: Vincent Brown - 472

Colts: Darrius Hayward-Bey - 309

Saints: Lance Moore - 457 (only played 13 games)

Still, this shows the ball is thrown to more targets then 5 years ago

These were mine - reposted for clarity.

San Diego - Malcolm Floyd 6 for 149

New Orleans - Robert Meachem 16 for 324

Carolina - Domenik Hixon 7 for 55(!)

Cincinnati - Andre Hawkins 12 for 199

Cleveland - Travis Benjamin 5 for 105

Indianapolis - Griff Whalen 24 for 259

And NY Jets - Clyde Gates 12 for 122.

Buffalo - Marquise Goodwin 17 for 283.

and somewhere another team has a thread like this and someone is saying who is Goodwin?

four random teams I chose. I was going to add min, Chicago, Houston and Atlanta if I kept going

Still, this shows the ball is thrown to more targets then 5 years ago

and somewhere another team has a thread like this and someone is saying who is Goodwin?

DJasper had the right numbers. Mine were more likely along the lines of the 3rd best WR on the teams. Even still, I believe TJ and Goodwin were alternating as the 3rd WR but I think TJ took more of the snaps through 2013 as the slot receiver(3rd WR). If that were truly the case, his number are low compared to the other players I posted. But that's just me covering my a$$. ;)

I don't get the Welker comparison, at all...is it because he is white?

Wes Welker is 5-9, 185 lbs and runs a forty yard dash in 4.65 seconds...he went to Texas Tech University...and holds numerous NFL records.

Chris Hogan is 6-1, 220 lbs and runs a forty yard dash in 4.45 seconds...he went to Monmouth College...and holds zero NFL records.

Besides being white, being a slot WR, and going undrafted...I see absolutely ZERO similarities between the two players.

(Oh yeah, and they also both spent a short period of time with the Dolphins, but Welker actually made their squad and played in a regular season game.

Hogan reminds me of Coy Wire......in that he is a coaches favorite who can't really play....but they look for every excuse to keep this guy. I would cut this guy in a heatbeat and keep TJ Graham.....unless , of course, TJ 's contract is up after this year, and we will loose him to free agency anyhow. People get hurt, and having a slow possession receiver to fill in for the top three or four doesn't seem right to me. This guy is not the second coming of Bobby Chandler.......(for those of you who remember him) And, for the numbers guys....with EJ and our assorted subs last year at QB, you can't get a read on any receivers capabilities. Stevie Johnson, a 1000 yard guy three seasons in a row, couldn't make it with a rook qb who couldn't read the route adjustments that made SJ a great receiver. (thats why he used to drive Revis nuts, he could play against Revis cover, and neutralize it) Of course, it took a Harvard qb to do that read.

Edited by bigK14094

Wes Welker is 5-9, 185 lbs and runs a forty yard dash in 4.65 seconds...he went to Texas Tech University...and holds numerous NFL records.

Chris Hogan is 6-1, 220 lbs and runs a forty yard dash in 4.45 seconds...he went to Monmouth College...and holds zero NFL records.

Besides being white, being a slot WR, and going undrafted...I see absolutely ZERO similarities between the two players.

(Oh yeah, and they also both spent a short period of time with the Dolphins, but Welker actually made their squad and played in a regular season game.

I think it's along the lines of being a slot receiver with speed.... that is white.

I don't see the similarity either... but If indeed he is the next Wes Welker as I've read on this board, let's trade him to the Pats for a 2nd round pick. We could use it next year with no #1. He may turn into an all-pro with Brady throwing to him, but I'm willing to take that risk. :thumbsup:

Hogan reminds me of Coy Wire......in that he is a coaches favorite who can't really play....but they look for every excuse to keep this guy. I would cut this guy in a heatbeat and keep TJ Graham.....unless , of course, TJ 's contract is up after this year, and we will loose him to free agency anyhow. People get hurt, and having a slow possession receiver to fill in for the top three or four doesn't seem right to me. This guy is not the second coming of Bobby Chandler.......(for those of you who remember him)

I'm still trying to figure out how slow Hogan is. Like I said before, TJ ran a 4.41 and Hogan ran a 4.47.

Here's the Hogan OT throw in question. Video quality is awful but it looks like Thad threw a fastball low and behind him and he couldn't get it.

Much better video. 3:00 mark. My conclusion remains unchanged.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000261679/Week-6-Bengals-vs-Bills-highlights

I knew at training camp last year that Hogan was a good player. This board hated on him huge. For whatever reason. Maybe because his name isnt Jerry Rice? Who knows? He is going to have a good career in the NFL provided he stays healthy. I sincerely hope he stays a Bill for a long long time.

That wasnt the one I was thinking of that I considered a clear drop.

Yeah, there was definitely a clear drop of a perfectly thrown ball.

Still, I don't see how people are comparing TJs nfl production to Hogan's. Totally different background and circumstances.

Let's have this discussion in 2015

TJ could be better at CB

He would be similar to out Leodis Mckelvin. in the right place at the right time and yet fail to make the play.

Sorry guys. i had to

Hogan has earned some first team reps in camp. What do the coaches see that much of TBD does not?

probably 99% of what we dont.. Thats most of my whole point. If the coaches think he is worthwhile ? why not ?

Most all of us have trust issues with the Bills. we often second guess them .

Edited by 3rdand12