Hogan

The Wiz

According to what? Hogan had receptions in 2 of the 6 games we won last year. If you are only counting TD's then yes. He didn't help us win a single game but TJ also only contributed in winning a single game against the Jets.

And to that point, it was a single TD that the BILLS won easily, and on a ball held up in the wind, else it would have been questionably catchable at best...

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And to that point, it was a single TD that the BILLS won easily, and on a ball held up in the wind, else it would have been questionably catchable at best...

And he didn't have to jump to catch it. He almost sat down to catch it in his lap.

regardless if you saw many or not by Graham he did score. He did contribute.

Hogan didn't do much at all.

You guys need to get real about Hogan. He's nothing spectacular.

The point of the thread was whether he makes the team over TJ or not. In my opinion, neither one will see the field much over the top 4 guys. I'm not expecting hogan/Graham to be a top receiver on the team.

The point of the thread was whether he makes the team over TJ or not. In my opinion, neither one will see the field much over the top 4 guys. I'm not expecting hogan/Graham to be a top receiver on the team.

Right. A lot depends on Easley. If he makes the team, he is likely going to be active game days. Neither Hogan nor TJ would be active if Watkins, MWilliams, Woods and Goodwin are all healthy. Marrone really seems to like Hogan these days. If Easley does not make the team, then Hogan likely makes it over TJ although it's very possible if not likely they keep both.

Right. A lot depends on Easley. If he makes the team, he is likely going to be active game days. Neither Hogan nor TJ would be active if Watkins, MWilliams, Woods and Goodwin are all healthy. Marrone really seems to like Hogan these days. If Easley does not make the team, then Hogan likely makes it over TJ although it's very possible if not likely they keep both.

I think they'd be absolutely nuts to cut Easley considering how awful the STs were last year. Getting rid of our best gunner doesn't seem like the hottest idea to me. I hope Easley is ahead of both of these guys.

I'm not sure TJ has much of a chance of making this team. I'm as surprised as anyone to type that as I thought for sure they'd keep him until his rookie contract was up but from everything I'm reading he's having a miserable camp. This on top of TJ barely getting any burn in 11 on 11 in OTAs and mini-camp. Easley offers more value with his special team play and Hogan just keeps putting up good days.

Watkins, Woody, Goodwin, Williams, Easley and Hogan are my pick for the final six, with all six being active on game days at the expense of one of the RBs.

I'm not sure TJ has much of a chance of making this team. I'm as surprised as anyone to type that as I thought for sure they'd keep him until his rookie contract was up but from everything I'm reading he's having a miserable camp. This on top of TJ barely getting any burn in 11 on 11 in OTAs and mini-camp. Easley offers more value with his special team play and Hogan just keeps putting up good days.

Watkins, Woody, Goodwin, Williams, Easley and Hogan are my pick for the final six, with all six being active on game days at the expense of one of the RBs.

Maybe. I don't really see the advantage of six WR on game day. I guess it may be game by game, team by team decision. Plus whether Bryce Brown is any good on ST. Boobie is a lock to be active. If Spiller or Fred Ex get nicked up, which is predictable, I think they would like to have Brown in the game. Boobie may be the goalline and sometimes short yardage back.

It also could depend on how much they actually use the two back alignment. If they want that as a part of their packages, then Brown is likely active.

Personally, I think he adds more to the potential scenarios than Hogan or TJ do, as long as Goodwin is healthy as the #4. Granted, if we have no TEs like right now, there would be a lot more 4 wide formations, and you would want that extra WR in there. But by the start of the season we should have three healthy TEs on game day.

It also depends on if they keep a FB or not. Right now, they seem like they are going to. But who knows.

With Goodwins' slight size and propensity for injury (it seems?) and the lack of offensive contributions from Easley(to this point), I could definitely argue for a roster spot for Hogan. Even having 6 on a given Sunday, for special teams. Getting rid of TJ will be a tough choice because of his speed and experience.

But TJ can't catch, or track the ball in the air, so his experience is in dropping balls not catching them.

Hogan is supposed to be always open, but in actual regular season games, Graham was always open and Hogan was conspicuously not. Plus he dropped some balls. I sincerely worry about Hogan as a great practice player but not a Sunday player. Graham has proven, without question, that he can consistently beat NFL DBs when real bullets are flying. Hogan has never really proven that.

Granted, Graham may simply not have the hands to play a real role in the NFL. But right now, he does something significant, and significantly better than Hogan, and that is get open on short, medium, and deep passes.

Nailed it.

At this point in his career it warranted. There are guys at every level who can play in practice and not during the game. Hogan appears like that guy.

Nailed it.

At this point in his career it warranted. There are guys at every level who can play in practice and not during the game. Hogan appears like that guy.

So you make the call... Hogan or TJ...

Can TJ start to hang on to his targets? Is that a fundamental that can be improved?

I know you can't teach Hogan acceleration and top end speed, that's for sure. But he may gain confidence if they give him a chance too. Thus not disappearing on game day.

I'm seriously waffling on these two guys.

Nailed it.

He's been in the league for 3 years. 3 different practice squads in 2011 (49ers, Giants, Dolphins). Then ours in 2012 were he was later moved to the active roster. Last year he made the active roster and played in a few games. Now he is showing he can compete in camp taking 1st team reps. He could be a player that shows up in camp only but considering the progress he has made in those 3 years is pretty impressive.

So you make the call... Hogan or TJ...

Can TJ start to hang on to his targets? Is that a fundamental that can be improved?

I know you can't teach Hogan acceleration and top end speed, that's for sure. But he may gain confidence if they give him a chance too. Thus not disappearing on game day.

I'm seriously waffling on these two guys.

Graham ran a 4.41 and Hogan ran a 4.47. I know there are other factors in running in the NFL but Hogan still has speed.

Edited by The Wiz

He's been in the league for 3 years. 3 different practice squads in 2011 (49ers, Giants, Dolphins). Then ours in 2012 were he was later moved to the active roster. Last year he made the active roster and played in a few games. Now he is showing he can compete in camp taking 1st team reps. He could be a player that shows up in camp only but considering the progress he has made in those 3 years is pretty impressive.

Sorta. He was the talk of the Dolphins camp and a lot of the country because of Hard Knocks, getting the 7-11 moniker because he's always open, but ultimately they cut him because he wasn't good enough. He was the talk of our camp a lot last year and then when he got in the games he was always open except on Sundays along with a couple drops. Now he is having an even better camp but if the trend continues, that doesn't necessarily translate.

ive got to ask - i remember being annoyed sometime mid season last year with hogan having a drop, or blowing a route that he was thrown to or something..... am i completely misremembering? I searched chris hogan drops and a thread on BBMB came up with reference to missing 2 passes one game, but some mentioned that 1 of the 2 was uncatchable and the other wasnt an easy catch despite being one that could be made.

Its just one of those things hanging in the back of my head when i hear that he catches everything (the old "sure but he only has 10 catches for 83 yards and i swear he messed something up along the way too).

even if my memory is right it doesnt drastically change anything - its just bothering me that i cant remember the situation.

Sorta. He was the talk of the Dolphins camp and a lot of the country because of Hard Knocks, getting the 7-11 moniker because he's always open, but ultimately they cut him because he wasn't good enough. He was the talk of our camp a lot last year and then when he got in the games he was always open except on Sundays along with a couple drops. Now he is having an even better camp but if the trend continues, that doesn't necessarily translate.

so im not crazy?

I can't recall a game specifically where he had drops but stats say otherwise. I don't necessarily agree with these but Hogan had 0 and Graham had 3 according to this site. I do however agree with Stevie's drop number(7).

http://www.sportingc...ats/drops/2013/

Edited by The Wiz

ive got to ask - i remember being annoyed sometime mid season last year with hogan having a drop, or blowing a route that he was thrown to or something..... am i completely misremembering? I searched chris hogan drops and a thread on BBMB came up with reference to missing 2 passes one game, but some mentioned that 1 of the 2 was uncatchable and the other wasnt an easy catch despite being one that could be made.

Its just one of those things hanging in the back of my head when i hear that he catches everything (the old "sure but he only has 10 catches for 83 yards and i swear he messed something up along the way too).

even if my memory is right it doesnt drastically change anything - its just bothering me that i cant remember the situation.

I can't remember the exact play, but I remember screaming at him that he dropped the very catchable ball. I think at least twice. One IIRC he was somewhat lunging forward but a very easy catch, iMO, and I believe it was a third down.

I can't recall a game specifically where he had drops but stats say otherwise. I don't necessarily agree with these but Hogan had 0 and Graham had 3 according to this site. I do however agree with Stevie's drop number(7).

Yeah I don't know how they determine those. I remember a play I mentioned below that was right in his hands and he dropped it as he was lunging forward. Maybe that site decides those types are not drops but to me it was a clear drop, and I would imagine to the Bills coaches and especially to Hogan himself it was a clear drop.

I can't remember the exact play, but I remember screaming at him that he dropped the very catchable ball. I think at least twice. One IIRC he was somewhat lunging forward but a very easy catch, iMO, and I believe it was a third down.

Yeah I don't know how they determine those. I remember a play I mentioned below that was right in his hands and he dropped it as he was lunging forward. Maybe that site decides those types are not drops but to me it was a clear drop, and I would imagine to the Bills coaches and especially to Hogan himself it was a clear drop.

that roughly fits the image that i had in my head on it, but i cant place any context on the play.... just that i remember being upset that hogan was on the field.

That's also why I question how they determine them because I believe TJ had more than 3 drops.

If our collective memories are accurate and Hogan did in fact drop a couple, those figures should be amended:

Hogan -- 2 drops

Graham -- 43 drops