Hogan

The Wiz

I know there have been thread on the 5th/possibly 6th WR slot on the team but figured I'd give a new thread a shot. Mods, please move as you please.

That being said, It seems like Woods and Williams are getting shared exposure on the outside(along with Woods being on the inside). Reports have been continuously showing/reporting that Hogan really has been 7-11 for the team. I still question what Graham is going to be able to do to keep a spot on the team considering he has had a few drops, 1 or 2 off his chest/hands.

Hogan was a player I honestly expected to get cut in the first round but at this rate, he has out-performed both Graham and Easley to secure the backup/2nd inside receiver role.

I can't help but see a little bit of Welker in him. An athlete in another sport that found his way to the grid iron. I really hope he makes the team and is used when necessary.

exactly, and people were ripping him last year for even being on the team but considering how hard he has worked it's easy to see why he is doing so well.

For some, Hogan's a feel-good story because they like the underdog. But the reality is that most of the 'hype" surrounding him is related to the fact that he's a slow-footed white dude who tries real hard. I'm not a fan of Graham at all. But at the end of the day I'd rather have him on the roster than Hogan because he has more upside. Yes Hogan looks great running around in shorts at camp- that might win him the "Tim Anderson Lunch Pail/Chris Kelsay High Motor Award" at the end of camp, but so what.

yes, upside :doh:

that is exactly why this team has floundered for years, we have brought in players with "potential" instead of guys that could actually play. Hogan will be productive on this team, slow white boy or not.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll take TJ. I like Hogan but I feel like this is a constant as far as him playing well in TC but not doing much during the season. I've seen Graham play and I know he can get open. He has the ability he just needs to get better. As a fifth or sixth receiver I'll take TJ based off his physical abilities. Most likely neither will succeed.

I actually think that the team carries 6 Wideouts: Watkins, Woods, Williams, Goodwin, Hogan and Easley.

Hogan seems to be getting the opportunity to play his way onto the team and I think he makes good on it.

Easley makes the team solely on his beastly performance for the ST unit last year.

TJ Graham is the odd man out....

before camp I would have switched Hogan for TJ; you're list as it stands now is what I would bet in now.

I do think EJ looks and feels comfortable throwing to Hogan. That's why I think Hogan makes this team. They are basically going to pick the top 4 (Watkins, Williams, Woods, Goodwin) the best special teamer (Easley) and then whichever one of the rest EJ seems to have the best chemistry with and from what I read and see on the highlights from all the way over here in the UK that seems at this stage to be Hogan.

Although I see both sides of the argument myself and flip from Hogan to TJ to keep both and ditch Easley by the hour.

I checked Easley's stats just to see if they were what I remember them to be and ESPN said he had 21 special teams tackles, almost twice as much as the next player...I just don't see the bills giving that up for a different 5th or sixth player.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

I do think EJ looks and feels comfortable throwing to Hogan. That's why I think Hogan makes this team. They are basically going to pick the top 4 (Watkins, Williams, Woods, Goodwin) the best special teamer (Easley) and then whichever one of the rest EJ seems to have the best chemistry with and from what I read and see on the highlights from all the way over here in the UK that seems at this stage to be Hogan.

Although I see both sides of the argument myself and flip from Hogan to TJ to keep both and ditch Easley by the hour.

Pretty much sums it up for me. Hogan and Easley also have a pretty remarkable handshake/celebration thing that is quite awesome I might add.

And….Graham kinda stinks, too. So there's that to consider. I could look past his below-average route running and lack of football instincts, but the deal breaker is that he possesses the worst set of hands we've seen from a Bills WR for some time. Kind of a requirement for the job.

TJ Graham just irritates the hell out of me. Nobody gets open like this guy and he's fast as hell yet he can't catch the $%&@# ball. It is SO hard to give up on guys like this who possess elite talent but can't find consistency.

Kelly made a great point up-thread -- Hogan scares me because he's a great practice player but last season I didn't see it translate in the games.

I have to admit, though -- it's nice to be having this conversation about who to keep as the 5th and 6th WRs. There's talent in that room.

For some, Hogan's a feel-good story because they like the underdog. But the reality is that most of the 'hype" surrounding him is related to the fact that he's a slow-footed white dude who tries real hard. I'm not a fan of Graham at all. But at the end of the day I'd rather have him on the roster than Hogan because he has more upside. Yes Hogan looks great running around in shorts at camp- that might win him the "Tim Anderson Lunch Pail/Chris Kelsay High Motor Award" at the end of camp, but so what.

That's a tired stereotype of white WRs. He may not be the fastest guy on the team, but he's dependable and has the trust of his QBs. To me, he's a shorter David Nelson, and that's a good thing. TJ is the latest iteration of Avion Black. Actually, the Beebe comparison is spot on. The guy was infuriating when he tried to catch.

Hogan and Graham are both still honing their skills. One was a lacrosse player and the other competed in track. They both have lots of upside. It sounds like Hogan has improved a lot from last year, while Graham still needs to get better at focussing on the ball while it is in the air. A lot of people don't like Graham because the Bills traded up for a developmental prospect (he was a projected 5th rounder) and used a 3rd round pick on him. I think both can develop into quality wideouts, and I hope the Bills keep letting them develop. I would really hate to see either of them become stars on another team.

Edited by distortions

at this point im wondering if the bills have tried to trade TJ or are they happy enough to keep him,has he progressed in this system?

is he tradeable,???? houston maybe ,fitz is familiar if that helps....opinions?

What's Graham trade value? A bag of deflated footballs?

...and it was at Monmouth and he caught 12 balls. It doesn't change things too much.

It says to me he's green and still learning the finer points of the game.

That is some serious tax. Where do you live, Doc?

Not where I live. I'm figuring NYS where it's 8% or so. I figure he'll score about 3 TD's.

Hogan and Graham are both still honing their skills. One was a lacrosse player and the other competed in track. They both have lots of upside. It sounds like Hogan has improved a lot from last year, while Graham still needs to get better at focussing on the ball while it is in the air. A lot of people don't like Graham because the Bills traded up for a developmental prospect (he was a projected 5th rounder) and used a 3rd round pick on him. I think both can develop into quality wideouts, and I hope the Bills keep letting them develop. I would really hate to see either of them become stars on another team.

The difference is TJ played organized football for 3 years while at NC State and Hogan played in his 5th year at Monmouth for 1 season. Other than that, I agree with the rest of your statement.

Let's just let this thing play out and keep whoever shows more during pre season and be done with it. Were just 2 days away from seeing for ourselves without question who shows more on the field. Let it play out people. We should all be hoping the Bills take the guy that makes plays and helps them win. We will know soon enough who does that when live bullets are flying.

What bothers me about Hogan, is he a practice star? I keep thinking of Josh Reed, not that he and Hogan are similar type players, it's just that they practice great. Not so great in games.

Old adage applies to Graham, you can't teach speed. Can you teach catching the ball?

What bothers me about Hogan, is he a practice star? I keep thinking of Josh Reed, not that he and Hogan are similar type players, it's just that they practice great. Not so great in games.

Old adage applies to Graham, you can't teach speed. Can you teach catching the ball?

Josh Reed had a great second year I think and then he dropped the flea flicker from Bledsoe. He seemed to have a case of the drops after that which I think became a mental thing. Once it starts happening and you hear the whispers you start over-thinking everything and not playing naturally. Great WRs pluck the ball while not breaking stride. I seem to always remember TJ jumping when he catches the ball so he can use his body, thus, losing all momentum.