How does Al Qaeda continue to finance its operations?

Often times they just pillage villages and take what they can, but if I had to assume, that would make up less than 10% of their financial support... Someone told me that those Chinese knock off jerseys I buy support terrorism...

Probably. What about heroin, aka: poppy production. ShowerBoy in VT isn't helping. Hammersticks, get on him!

Rich Saudis have been bankrolling terrorist groups for decades. Most didn't choose to go live the life like OBL, but in terms of financial support he was not at all unique.

And that, and plenty of other money, is diverted through groups in the Pakistani government, and a good chunk of it is money and material diverted (or stolen) from "humanitarian aid."

And bin Laden was relatively wealthy...and this kind of organization and combat you can organize pretty well on the cheap.

The West refuses to eliminate the true leadership of groups like al-Qaeda, Hamas, FARC, cartels, etc and that's the bankers that hide in plain sight. These groups use a network of banks. It's not like they pile cash in a big warehouse somewhere. The only reason FARC for example has remained so strong decade after decade because you have western banks complicit in funneling, storing and laundering their money.

Sure, we'll kill or capture the foot soliders all day long but the real bad guys are the ones that hide in the suits and the nice innocouous contries like Switzerland that launder all the proceeds.

You start knocking off bank leadership and the financiers and these groups disappear. But that means the west would be killing a whole lot of westerners that look like you and I.

You start knocking off bank leadership and the financiers and these groups disappear. But that means the west would be killing a whole lot of westerners that look like you and I.

OOOOH nothing like a subtle racism accusation to get a flame war started!!

The West refuses to eliminate the true leadership of groups like al-Qaeda, Hamas, FARC, cartels, etc and that's the bankers that hide in plain sight. These groups use a network of banks. It's not like they pile cash in a big warehouse somewhere. The only reason FARC for example has remained so strong decade after decade because you have western banks complicit in funneling, storing and laundering their money.

Sure, we'll kill or capture the foot soliders all day long but the real bad guys are the ones that hide in the suits and the nice innocouous contries like Switzerland that launder all the proceeds.

You're an idiot.

With all due deference to my fellow mod I just don't see how this survives in the non-PPP part of the board. Way too much temptation. I'm throwing the bloody meat to the sharks over there.

With all due deference to my fellow mod I just don't see how this survives in the non-PPP part of the board. Way too much temptation. I'm throwing the bloody meat to the sharks over there.

Whoo-Hoo..........................."PPP- Nado"

You're an idiot.

I'll disregard your rudeness and give you a link to look at. I suppose the Iranians don't care about the $19.4 billion that moved through HSBC.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/afontevecchia/2012/07/16/hsbc-helped-terrorists-iran-mexican-drug-cartels-launder-money-senate-report-says/

And FWIW, the Mexican Sinaloa cartel wired $881 million into the US through HSBC five years ago but got caught. Want to know how much the bank made on cartel wire transfers before they got caught?

$2.6 billion.

I'll disregard your rudeness and give you a link to look at. I suppose the Iranians don't care about the $19.4 billion that moved through HSBC.

http://www.forbes.co...te-report-says/

And FWIW, the Mexican Sinaloa cartel wired $881 million into the US through HSBC five years ago but got caught. Want to know how much the bank made on cartel wire transfers before they got caught?

$2.6 billion.

You're still an idiot.

Well. Home at last!

Wonder what the poor people are doing tonight.

There was a rash of this kind of thing going on in Italy in the 1970s where rich folk were being abducted and held for ransom.

It died down and flared up again in the early part of this century.

Criminals are going to commit crimes. Copycats are going to copy.

Edited by Nanker