Stephen A Smith suspended for Rice comments

FireChan

You may have heard about Stephen A Smith's "hiatus" from ESPN because of his comments regarding the Ray Rice situation. Basically, he said that, while it's obvious that domestic abuse is wrong and shouldn't happen, women should go to lengths to protect themselves. Does anyone know what is so bad about that?

An analogous situation is walking around an alley in a white tux, with wads of cash and a fancy watch. Obviously you shouldn't get mugged. But you could have prevented that possible situation.

How are these situations different? Can someone attempt to enlighten me?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why? Based on your awesome analogy you already appear to either be dug in on a sh#@ty opinion or just trolling.

Here's another awesome spin on it. If she would have just ducked he wouldn't have hit her in the face. Have fun with this one FC.

*Note to all women. Don't ever wear a dress to a party where you're the only girl, because you're just asking to be assaulted.

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

Why? Based on your awesome analogy you already appear to either be dug in on a sh#@ty opinion or just trolling.

Here's another awesome spin on it. If she would have just ducked he wouldn't have hit her in the face. Have fun with this one FC.

*Note to all women. Don't ever wear a dress to a party where you're the only girl, because you're just asking to be assaulted.

I didn't say ask for, I said preventative measures. I don't understand. Why does it turn into, "they should be free to live their life you pig." Obviously they should. But rapists and wife beaters exist. It's a shame, but that's the world.

You may think you're empowering women. In reality, you're taking their power to defend themselves away. You're telling them there's nothing they can do to prevent being raped. Or hit. That sounds stupid.

Edited by FireChan

I didn't say ask for, I said preventative measures. I don't understand. Why does it turn into, "they should be free to live their life you pig." Obviously they should. But rapists and wife beaters exist. It's a shame, but that's the world.

Should a woman ever wear a dress to a party where it's all men? By your line of thinking, the prudent thing to do would be to avoid the dress as a preventative measure right?

Should a woman ever wear a dress to a party where it's all men? By your line of thinking, the prudent thing to do would be to avoid the dress as a preventative measure right?

I don't think that's prudent, no.

Why don't we stay on topic though. I'm not talking about rape.

You may think you're empowering women. In reality, you're taking their power to defend themselves away. You're telling them there's nothing they can do to prevent being raped. Or hit. That sounds stupid.

:lol::doh:

Yeah. No woman was ever assaulted while wearing pants.

Let's start here. What types of preventative measures are you suggesting a woman should take?

Krav Maga, for starters.

Krav Maga, for starters.

Fair enough. Though Stephen a Smith never referred to defensive techniques, at least that I saw.

Fair enough. Though Stephen a Smith never referred to defensive techniques, at least that I saw.

I don't know what Smith said, only what was posted here.

And I agree with what was posted here: women should go to lengths to protect themselves. I question the breathtaking narrowness of your posted point of view that interprets that as "be afraid of any situation that might seem even the least bit threatening." Perhaps the conversation would be better served by discussing WHAT those lengths should be, rather than dismissing the idea that women should protect themselves?

So you went from "****ty opinion" to "fair enough?" No wonder this is a conversation that got him suspended.

Because his initial opinion was narrow, shallow, stupid, and based on the amazingly disempowering idea that women can't protect themselves and thus need to be protected.

So you went from "****ty opinion" to "fair enough?" No wonder this is a conversation that got him suspended.

You didn't answer the question? Your opinion is sh@$ty. Point to where Stephen A specifically referred to martial arts as a preventative measure.

Let's start here. What types of preventative measures are you suggesting a woman should take?

Remain calm and remove oneself from the situation. Agression leads to agression. I didn't really follow it to close, but that's what I took from his comments. I am not pro-Stephen A., he should no better that it would be taken out of context.

You didn't answer the question? Your opinion is sh@$ty. Point to where Stephen A specifically referred to martial arts as a preventative measure.

He said "preventative measure." Just because he didn't cite martial arts specifically, doesn't make him wrong.

You know what, here are a couple more "preventative measures," that are obviously too offensive for you to consider.

-don't get drunk enough to lose control of yourself

-don't punch, slap, or get violent with others

-don't date guys prone to violent outbursts or with short tempers

Are those okay? Just like "don't wear a dress?"

Stephen A said also, specifically, that women need to look out for themselves because there isn't much that can be done after the crime happens. That was his point.

He said "preventative measure." Just because he didn't cite martial arts specifically, doesn't make him wrong.

You know what, here are a couple more "preventative measures," that are obviously too offensive for you to consider.

-don't get drunk enough to lose control of yourself

-don't punch, slap, or get violent with others

-don't date guys prone to violent outbursts or with short tempers

Are those okay? Just like "don't wear a dress?"

He left himself open to the interpretation, just like I did with my sarcastic analogy in my first reply which leaves you and DC Tom the ability to interpret that as I think women can't defend themselves.

Difference is, I'm not saying it where it could affect my livelihood.

An analogous situation is walking around an alley in a white tux, with wads of cash and a fancy watch. Obviously you shouldn't get mugged. But you could have prevented that possible situation.

Watch. I'll do my best DC Tom impression...

Yeah. No man in a hoody was ever assaulted in a alley.

You think she would avoid the dude... But then again, millions of dollars is hard to avoid, even if you get a beat down.

Of course I am not siding with woman beater... But people have to stop enabling them and avoid them @ all cost... Lol... That will never happen as long as they are showered with money.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

He left himself open to the interpretation, just like I did with my sarcastic analogy in my first reply which leaves you and DC Tom the ability to interpret that as I think women can't defend themselves.

Difference is, I'm not saying it where it could affect my livelihood.

Watch. I'll do my best DC Tom impression...

Yeah. No man in a hoody was ever assaulted in a alley.

Hi, this is your boss... you are fired...

Just kidding.... (How about a raise?)

I need to see what he said directly, bc I don't buy into the don't wear a dress type of philosophy.... Victim blaming happens all too often in society...

People are expected to respect one another and conduct themselves responsibility.... Plain and simple...

Stephen A Smith - "What I’ve tried to employ the female members of my family — some of who you all met and talked to and what have you — is that ... let’s make sure we don’t do anything to provoke wrong actions, because if I come — or somebody else come, whether it’s law enforcement officials, your brother or the fellas that you know — if we come after somebody has put their hands on you, it doesn’t negate the fact that they already put their hands on you."

He didn't say prevent, he said don't provoke. Interpretation on provocation can vary wildly depending on the person.