GO Bucks

YoloinOhio

17 hours ago, Willyville Guy said:

Ya he’s…um…something. This is going to be good.

My buddy is a HS coach and goes to some of the  practices and he was there on Thursday or Friday last week, he said he looks like Randy moss and is going to be the best osu WR in history. Oh ok haha. He’s typically pretty jaded and even on the negative side sometimes so I asked him what he thought about Marv when he first saw him as a Freshman in practice to compare, and he said he thought marv looked different, a 1st rd pick for sure.  But Jeremiah smith is like a faster version of him with a bigger catch radius and vertical propensity to just jump up and moss defenders which Marv didn’t really do. So…

On 4/17/2024 at 8:04 AM, YoloinOhio said:

My buddy is a HS coach and goes to some of the  practices and he was there on Thursday or Friday last week, he said he looks like Randy moss and is going to be the best osu WR in history. Oh ok haha. He’s typically pretty jaded and even on the negative side sometimes so I asked him what he thought about Marv when he first saw him as a Freshman in practice to compare, and he said he thought marv looked different, a 1st rd pick for sure.  But Jeremiah smith is like a faster version of him with a bigger catch radius and vertical propensity to just jump up and moss defenders which Marv didn’t really do. So…

Marvin Harrison Jr is extremely talented but he is nowhere near one of the top five or 10 wide receivers I've seen in college 

Super good.. but the media is making him out to be a talent that we've never seen 

Like he's on a pedestal all his own... But there's a few wide receivers in this class who are not that far off from him 

He's honestly not even the prospect Sammy Watkins was coming out... And look how that panned out

• 3 months later...
On 8/1/2024 at 8:26 PM, YoloinOhio said:

Hi all should we start a new thread. When I pulled this up it was highly suggested to do so. I don’t know why it was only started a decade ago 😭

Let's keep cooking in here for another season. Start with a natty, end with a natty. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2024 at 4:28 PM, Willyville Guy said:

Let's keep cooking in here for another season. Start with a natty, end with a natty. 

I was all over page 1 of this thread, but fell off the board for a decade. Decided to post again to hopefully give the Buckeye's some juice. I'm sick and tired of losing to *ichigan.

What else has happened in the last decade? How about this Josh Allen kid!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Ohiostyle said:

I was all over page 1 of this thread, but fell off the board for a decade. Decided to post again to hopefully give the Buckeye's some juice. I'm sick and tired of losing to *ichigan.

this is the juice we needed 

On 8/18/2024 at 4:22 PM, Ohiostyle said:

I'm sure Billy Joel could write a song about the Ryan Day years like We Didn't Start the Fire LOL

SEASON OPENER IS ALMOST HERE!

O-H

On 8/23/2024 at 9:47 AM, Willyville Guy said:

I-O baby!  Roster looking absolutely stacked, and once again we're heading into the season with a QB that most of us haven't seen play.  I hope Will Howard can run this offense efficiently, because if he can... look out!

I doubt that even the biggest OSU fans like you and yolo understand just how good Caleb Downs is. Have you read my posts over the years? How much do I focus on defensive backs lol? This kid is different. He was flat out dominant as a freshman, and not just with raw talent. The kid is smart to the degree that Saban would rave about how fast he learned a complicated system.

I think this kid has a chance (of course if he stays healthy and keeps his head on straight) to be on a par with Sean Taylor. Yeah, he is THAT good.

I still think that despite losing Saban, Alabama will be a good team, even given the fact that Nick is impossible to replace. It is quite possible that there will never be another college coach to achieve what he did. This season, their lines are stout and at RB they are excellent and deep. They are strong at other positions as well but I would feel MUCH better if Downs was still in Tuscaloosa. 

Congrats. You are going to love watching this great player.

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/25/2024 at 6:33 AM, Bill from NYC said:

I doubt that even the biggest OSU fans like you and yolo understand just how good Caleb Downs is. Have you read my posts over the years? How much do I focus on defensive backs lol? This kid is different. He was flat out dominant as a freshman, and not just with raw talent. The kid is smart to the degree that Saban would rave about how fast he learned a complicated system.

I think this kid has a chance (of course if he stays healthy and keeps his head on straight) to be on a par with Sean Taylor. Yeah, he is THAT good.

I still think that despite losing Saban, Alabama will be a good team, even given the fact that Nick is impossible to replace. It is quite possible that there will never be another college coach to achieve what he did. This season, their lines are stout and at RB they are excellent and deep. They are strong at other positions as well but I would feel MUCH better if Downs was still in Tuscaloosa. 

Congrats. You are going to love watching this great player.

I agree that I don't know how great Downs can be. I do remember how badly the Buckeyes wanted him coming out of high school, and it looked like he was going to choose OSU, but then Saban worked his magic and there was nothing our guys could do.  Word among the beat reporters is that he's shockingly smart and tough, and there is talk of using him on both sides of the ball. I cannot remember a more highly regarded safety tandem than Downs and Latham Ransom heading into a season. Can't wait to watch them play. 

As for Bama, I would think the machine that is already in place, the depth on the roster, and the university's commitment to the football program will keep them in the hunt for at least a few years post-Saban.  

On 8/23/2024 at 9:47 AM, Willyville Guy said:

I-O baby!  Roster looking absolutely stacked, and once again we're heading into the season with a QB that most of us haven't seen play.  I hope Will Howard can run this offense efficiently, because if he can... look out!

He should be able to with his mobility… and the OL will be a huge piece to all of it. One of the coaches said there are like 3 guys on it right now he thinks could start in the nfl. I don’t think they have a lot of depth though so need to hope for no injuries. 

18 hours ago, RedandBlue said:

Team is absolutely loaded, all comes down to QB play. Hope Howard takes another step as a passer, he has improved every year. He’s also never played with a group like this, should be a fun season!

I just heard on the radio this morning, he is still getting used to throwing to guys who are open when they’re not open. He was telling chip Kelly why he didn’t throw certain passes in practice and he said because he was covered, and chip said no he wasn’t. He’s never covered. Throw it anyway. 

9 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I just heard on the radio this morning, he is still getting used to throwing to guys who are open when they’re not open. He was telling chip Kelly why he didn’t throw certain passes in practice and he said because he was covered, and chip said no he wasn’t. He’s never covered. Throw it anyway. 

That could be great, or that could be bad.  Still depends on Howard, because if the guy is covered but "open", then you still have to throw it in the right spot for the receiver to make a play.  Just throwing it to a covered receiver will lead to a lot of turnovers.  Peyton Manning could throw to an "open" receiver and make a big play, and another QB may throw to the same "open" receiver and it'll be a turnover.  

43 minutes ago, cle23 said:

That could be great, or that could be bad.  Still depends on Howard, because if the guy is covered but "open", then you still have to throw it in the right spot for the receiver to make a play.  Just throwing it to a covered receiver will lead to a lot of turnovers.  Peyton Manning could throw to an "open" receiver and make a big play, and another QB may throw to the same "open" receiver and it'll be a turnover.  

Ryan Day has required his QBs to "throw guys open" since he got here.  I'd bet that came directly from Chip based on the radio comment this morning. 

1 hour ago, cle23 said:

Stroud had outstanding ball placement which allowed it to work, we shall see… Howard did say that while he was hesitant it first but he grew in confidence after he saw the WRs making the play every time. 

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Stroud had outstanding ball placement which allowed it to work, we shall see… Howard did say that while he was hesitant it first but he grew in confidence after he saw the WRs making the play every time. 

Yeah, if Howard can prove to be very accurate, he will be fine.  Stroud obviously is elite in that department, but Howard hasn't had a great track record there.  I would assume that OSU's coaches are better than K-State's, so he very well could improve, but that will determine his ability to throw guys open.