GO Bucks

YoloinOhio

He has to be. JT running the zone read brought back all of the warm and fuzzies. That is how this offense is supposed to work -- sick athletes running in every different direction and whomever makes an LB or DB panic first gets the ball. Jones in a pro style set was an experiment that might have worked if they continued to fine tune it over the course of the rest of the season, but there is no need. The swagger is back with JT in there.

The defense on the other hand.... Barkley is good, but 200 yards? Ugh. Something is wrong with Lee -- he must be hurt. Invisible for several games in a row now. But Joey Bosa is coming on strong so that helps.

As for Michigan, well, that is what I call "Blue Balls."

i don't know why on earth James Franklin even bothered trying to pass the ball? Barkley was getting like 9 ypc? Fickell and Ash need to get it together - I know they gave a lot of injuries in the secondary but the LBs need to be better than that.

Different offense with JT. This team is starting to look like Florida 2006. Jump passes, 2 QBs, Braxton Harvin... Lol

My understanding is that the policy calls for a two-week suspension, not a two-game suspension, and the two-week suspension will only cover one game because of the bye week.

Now, *should* the university assess a tougher penalty than the policy calls for here? Different question. A 20-yr old student athlete with no priors went to a party during the bye week, caught a mild buzz, drove home on a route that included a campus sobriety checkpoint, and was issued a citation. Not good, but not that bad either. That said, JT is a captain and Urban says he holds his leaders to a higher standard -- so I'd expect to see something more.

Maybe Barrett will lose his C. Or maybe he will ride the bench for a while even after the formal suspension is over, similar to the way Marcus Hall was benched during the B1G championship game even though his formal punishment had ended for flipping off the Big House. Or maybe Barrett will simply serve his two-week suspension and jump right back into the swing of things. The key is to watch program's actions -- official and unofficial -- to see the real consequences of this incident.

EDIT: I just went and looked at the policy (it's here in case anyone is interested) because the explanation I described in the first paragraph above seems slippery. An underage alcohol-related offense is considered a second offense, which calls for "a two-week suspension from all competition at the earliest available time." (Emphasis added.) I read that to mean a two game suspension, which would include Minnesota and Illinois. Ugh.

Edited by Willyville Guy

Interesting. If the article I read was correct, that's a 2 game suspension according to tOSU policy.

But JT has only been suspended for 1 game.

he didn't fall under the policy for the 2 week suspension because he was only cited for a misdemeanor, per gene smith. Because it was a first offense, he actually didn't need to be suspended at all - per OSU policy. Urban's decision to suspend one game.

@DOMTIBERI a non underage gets no suspension for 1st, 1 game for second, a underage gets no game for first, 2 for second

.. although JT will now be tested regularly and if it happens again sanctions are stiffer.

My understanding is that the policy calls for a two-week suspension, not a two-game suspension, and the two-week suspension will only cover one game because of the bye week.

Now, *should* the university assess a tougher penalty than the policy calls for here? Different question. A 20-yr old student athlete with no priors went to a party during the bye week, caught a mild buzz, drove home on a route that included a campus sobriety checkpoint, and was issued a citation. Not good, but not that bad either. That said, JT is a captain and Urban says he holds his leaders to a higher standard -- so I'd expect to see something more.

Maybe Barrett will lose his C. Or maybe he will ride the bench for a while even after the formal suspension is over, similar to the way Marcus Hall was benched during the B1G championship game even though his formal punishment had ended for flipping off the Big House. Or maybe Barrett will simply serve his two-week suspension and jump right back into the swing of things. The key is to watch program's actions -- official and unofficial -- to see the real consequences of this incident.

EDIT: I just went and looked at the policy (it's here in case anyone is interested) because the explanation I described in the first paragraph above seems slippery. An underage alcohol-related offense is considered a second offense, which calls for "a two-week suspension from all competition at the earliest available time." (Emphasis added.) I read that to mean a two game suspension, which would include Minnesota and Illinois. Ugh.

he is officially only being suspended one game. But when he plays again could be a different story.

The Captain-ship was voted on by the players - since it was their decision to vote him in, he could leave it up to them on whether he's voted out. IMO.

Edited by YoloinOhio

he didn't fall under the policy for the 2 week suspension because he was only cited for a misdemeanor, per gene smith. Because it was a first offense, he actually didn't need to be suspended at all - per OSU policy. Urban's decision to suspend one game.

I see. The policy specifically refers to a DUI being treated as a second offense with a two-week suspension, and since this was an OVI citation rather than a DUI arrest, Gene Smith is saying that the policy doesn't apply and any suspension is at the discretion of the head coach.

It will be interesting to see what the players do about the captaincy, assuming Urban leaves it up to the team -- if the reactions I saw on Twitter yesterday are any indication then I do not think they will take it away.

Edited by Willyville Guy

I see. The policy specifically refers to a DUI being treated as a second offense with a two-week suspension, and since this was an OVI citation rather than a DUI arrest, Gene Smith is saying that the policy doesn't apply and any suspension is at the discretion of the head coach.

It will be interesting to see what the players do about the captaincy, assuming Urban leaves it up to the team -- if the reactions I saw on Twitter yesterday are any indication then I do not think they will take it away.

urban just said he got his scholarship taken away for the semester and though he's eligible to dress for Illinois, he hasn't decided If he will play. Edited by YoloinOhio

I'm told he'll have an opportunity to earn back the scholarship.

EDIT: An OSU spokesperson confirmed that Barrett will lose his "summer aid" money for 2016, not scholarship money for a term. I don't know what that means or how much is involved.

Edited by Willyville Guy

I'm told he'll have an opportunity to earn back the scholarship.

EDIT: An OSU spokesperson confirmed that Barrett will lose his "summer aid" money for 2016, not scholarship money for a term. I don't know what that means or how much is involved.

ah - just saw the clarification.

That's the same punishment that Mewhort and Stoneburner got for being arrested for pissing on a wall at Muirfield. But they weren't suspended.

I hope this young man finds what he's looking for. His commitment during the national championship game last year added another fun wrinkle to that magical night. Rumors have been swirling for a while now, and he recently called himself "solid" for Ohio State.

So it goes in recruiting teenagers. Looking forward to seeing Antonio Williams carry the rock in a couple of years!

I hope this young man finds what he's looking for. His commitment during the national championship game last year added another fun wrinkle to that magical night. Rumors have been swirling for a while now, and he recently called himself "solid" for Ohio State.

So it goes in recruiting teenagers. Looking forward to seeing Antonio Williams carry the rock in a couple of years!

yep. This is coming from an "insider" on the OSU forum but he's shown to be very dialed in on recruiting - apparently KW wasn't the same player this year as last year and his production was way down, work ethic called into question. The coaches weren't all in on him and didn't want to be left holding the bag if he went elsewhere since he snuck a visit to UM without telling OSU. So they grabbed Williams (maybe he'll be a Bill someday with that last name!) and with Mike Weber red shirting, KW was afraid of the competition next year at OSU. He's a guy who wants the starting job handed to him. That would not fly at OSU where everything is s competition. I think he will find a better fit elsewhere, if it is TTUN, so be it. Edited by YoloinOhio

• 2 weeks later...