EJ and the Offense will be OK, IF-

I actually think this season is less dependent on EJ, and more on our OLine + stopping the run.

agreed, especially with the OL. move the chains, keep the ball away from the other teams offense. this team seems to have undervalued this position in the draft in the last 10 years. they tend to draft flashy players and save later round picks for the OL. perhaps because of having been burned with high picks on Olineman more than once. this year was an exception, having drafted cyrus cujo in the second round. i like the pick and hope meets expectations.

• 2 weeks later...

Let me add another (2) qualifiers to the list-

*IF the OL can pass protect better. EJ seems to be hurried a lot in camp and during the HOF game.

*IF the receivers can get any separation. I saw zero seperation in the HOF game. This was also a problem last season. Don't know about camp though.

The combo platter of being hurried and receivers who cannot separate is enough to make any QB look bad.

Edited by jethro_tull

• 3 weeks later...

Reviving this thread.

The OL needs to run block better. How many times did the Bills starters gain (4) yards on first down vs. the Bucs? Not many. And when that happens- your offense is in the hole and likely to be a 3-and-out 68% of the time:

Conversion rates

When you examine the success rate of converting second and third downs over the past three years, you can see why getting 4-plus yards on first down is the key:

Down/distance Success Pct.

Second-and-1-5 yards 56

Second-and-6-9 yards 27

Second-and-10-plus 17

Third-and-1 67

Third-and-2 52

Third-and-3 49

Third-and-4 47

Third-and-5 42

Third-and-6 41

Third-and-7 37

Third-and-8 32