Training Camp tweets and media reports, Week 2

Looks like tuel is going to win the backup job. It sounds like Thad May not even make the roster.

i agree Tuel appears to have the upper hand. I think the preseason games will ultimately determine who becomes the #2. Although, Tuel played well enough in those games last year for the coaching staff to make him the only active backup for 5 weeks into the season. Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like tuel is going to win the backup job. It sounds like Thad May not even make the roster.

They still need a #3. Thad's fine in that role. I certainly don't want them to keep Dixon over Thad.

I really wonder what's going on with Thad. It sounds like he is terrible, but maybe the reports are overstating it. It will be interesting to see him play on Sunday.

according to Joe B on the radio yesterday, Thad is either really bad (INTs, sacks) or has a great throw here and there. He said he just looks sloppy. I wonder what is going on as well since I haven't seen him in person.

I don't think Thad is PS eligible, so if they don't keep 3 QBs to start the season...

Ya gotta wonder what goes through these guy's heads at times.

Maybe we and he have seen Thad's ceiling.

Brave New World. Maronne and Whaley have big ones.

So you go into the season with EJ and Tuel? Remember what happened last year?

It was a mistake not signing a quality back up in a Free agency, I hope it doesn't cost them.

Agreed...I'd love to see them make a trade for a backup, or even try to talk Kyle Orton into signing here.

I have zero faith in Thad or Tuel.

So you go into the season with EJ and Tuel? Remember what happened last year?

It was a mistake not signing a quality back up in a Free agency, I hope it doesn't cost them.

serious question because I don't remember who all was out there but which quality backups were available in FA other than Vick and McCown? They both were clear they wanted a chance to compete for the starting job so even if the Bills were willing to pay for one of them, doubt they would have considered coming here. Who am I missing?

FTR I would like a vet as well!

Edited by YoloinOhio

@TobyMotyka: Three straight red zone Tds for EJ, two to Bobby woods. This becoming a strength for offense over last few practices

@ChrisBrownBills: EJ seeing more of the field of late. Spotted Woods in back of end zone late in the play and delivered ball. #Bills

@buffalobills: EJ throwing darts to CJ for TDs. #bullseye

@buffalobills: #Bills working starters vs. starters in the redzone in their final tuneup before facing the @Giants. #IronSharpensIron

The two statements in bold are good to hear and will be huge this year if they continue. :thumbsup:

according to Joe B on the radio yesterday, Thad is either really bad (INTs, sacks) or has a great throw here and there. He said he just looks sloppy. I wonder what is going on as well since I haven't seen him in person.

When we first got Thad, I watched his previous games and it seemed like once in each game he would throw the ball way over the receiver's head. In the 4 practices I've been to this year, he is doing that, but very often, almost to the point where it seems like half his throws are like that. Only a guess, but maybe he is pressing

@ChrisTrapasso: Corey Graham has been very good in two practices I've attended, and I don't think Ive read much bad about him from on-site media @mattymelts

@ChrisTrapasso: Oh yeah, I'd think so. Big time. MT @JasonHasenohr: Chris Hogan has to be far ahead of T.J. Graham at this point, right?

@716SportsGuy: @ChrisTrapasso @JasonHasenohr Yep. It isn't close. Think it would take something crazy to happen for Hogan to not make roster at this point.

Thad seems to me to be the kind of player who is a gamer, and that is what you need far, far more than a practice player. I doubt that Tuel beats him out to be the game day #2 unless Tuel is great and Thad is awful during the pre-season games.

Our QBing as a whole is extremely scary, the one thing I am concerned about Whaley.

Thad seems to me to be the kind of player who is a gamer, and that is what you need far, far more than a practice player. I doubt that Tuel beats him out to be the game day #2 unless Tuel is great and Thad is awful during the pre-season games.

Our QBing as a whole is extremely scary, the one thing I am concerned about Whaley.

scary because you fear an EJ injury, or because you don't think he will play well? Not to turn this into an EJ thread. Just curious.

scary because you fear an EJ injury, or because you don't think he will play well? Not to turn this into an EJ thread. Just curious.

I think EJ will do fine. It is yet to be seen though. It's possible that he is injury prone although that was not the case in college at all and I don't believe he is.

The problem is as a whole. Last year they brought in the brittle Kolb, who was never that good in the first place, and then immediately got hurt twice. There wasnt a lot of good options but the fact is, that is what they did and the predictable happened. They made a trade for Thad, who played pretty decent all things considered, but they kept Tuel who was brutally bad because they said they were worried someone would snatch him up. I think that is nonsense. He wasn't good in college, he wasn't drafted, he doesn't possess great arm or size or running ability or command of the game or intangibles. No one was going to add him to their roster.

It bit us in the ass because Tuel was forced to play and he sucked as expected.

This year, they again did nothing outside of keeping last years late addition Dennis Dixon. I had hopes for Dixon who has a lot of talent but apparently is not having a good camp.

So we still have an iffy starter, a fair back-up who is not having a good camp, and a crappy #3 IMO who will have to prove it in regular season games that he does not suck in order for me to change my opinion on him. It would be different if he was good in college or possessed one or two things that make him stand out. To me, he is Trent Edwards, but not as good, and Trent Edwards sucked.

I understand that Marrone and Hackett wanted guys that knew the system, but that's not a good enough trade off. They should have brought in a veteran back-up to fight Thad and Tuel for the 2 or 3 job.

I only disagree with the Whaley part, in that at least they took a shot at a QB in the 1st--although his approach to the backup QB position is less than thrilling for sure

I only disagree with the Whaley part, in that at least they took a shot at a QB in the 1st--although his approach to the backup QB position is less than thrilling for sure

That's what I meant. I wanted EJ in the draft over all of the other choices (simply because they were all crapshoots and he had the highest ceiling). And the trade down was brilliant, which netted us EJ and Kiko. I meant that he brought in Kolb, which was a disaster, and the backups are shaky at best, and he did nothing to improve it. I meant the position as a whole, not necessarily EJ.

That's what I meant. I wanted EJ in the draft over all of the other choices (simply because they were all crapshoots and he had the highest ceiling). And the trade down was brilliant, which netted us EJ and Kiko. I meant that he brought in Kolb, which was a disaster, and the backups are shaky at best, and he did nothing to improve it. I meant the position as a whole, not necessarily EJ.

which vet did you want in FA? I can't really who was out there besides Vick and McCown.

Why am I not surprised? That's the exact Thad Lewis we all saw last season. He's a good team guy with good legs that can make a play now and then, but that's it imho.

GO BILLS!!!