LaCanfora: bills may be willing to deal Spiller before season

Pure speculation by writer. "Bills may be willing".....pretty strong stuff..........writers have to write stuff......it's always possible since Whaley likes Bryce Brown and I doubt they re-sign Spiller but after Richardson trade last year I doubt it happens.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They weren't willing to trade Spiller to aquire Bryce Brown, so what's changed? La Canfora probably forgot about that story and is speculating because it's the end of July and there aren't any real stories.

lol. Money bags. That's funny. 1,200 yards and like 7 TDs. If you call that money bags, I wonder what you say about good TBs that out up over 1,500 yards and 10+ TDs.

Well caped Crusader he had 1700 yards and 8tds. Screen passes are part of the game as well.

And have another piece of this http://youtube.com/watch?v=5IldpoY5kkk

I laugh at your football iq when you want to rid a football team of a weapon like this. The runs vs the jets in this video are flat out filthy.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

Josh Gordon (lost this year) + a quality player to add depth at LB or OL for this year ... I'd be very interested in that trade. I'm sick of waiting around for spiller to be "the guy". Plus as someone else alluded to in today's game rushing yards has a lot more to do with your oline and passing threat. Theres a reason RB FA values have plummeted on a relative basis

the Browns don't have any depth at LB or OL, and they don't need a RB unless someone was hurt today but I didn't hear that.

This topic is getting stale. What are peoples opinions on Kyle Williams?

i think he is one of the best DT's in the game and underpaid.

Most people will be correct and say he's a great player. The others will say "blah blah blah overrated blah blah bad run defense blah blah"

Why don't those guys play in platoon systems?

Different backs, different coaches, different philosophies. And in the case of AD, we're talking 1st ballot HOFer. Still, other than him, none of those backs possesses what Spiller possesses when it comes to pressuring a defense.

And you can defend Spiller all you want, but a first round pick, even #32, in a contract year would be an awesome deal.

I don't need to defend Spiller. His game and the respect he garners around the league from both opponents and those who evaluate personnel preclude that.

You even refuse to argue him living up to his draft pick.

Nothing to argue on that point as that is an artificial construct. But the only aspect of his game that I find lacking is the mental part of it. And that's not a small issue at times. In terms of what he brings to the table from an athletic standpoint and the pressure he puts on a defense, he's in select company.

GO BILLS!!!

Well caped Crusader he had 1700 yards and 8tds. Screen passes are part of the game as well.

I laugh at your football iq when you want to rid a football team of a weapon like this. The runs vs the jets in this video are flat out filthy.

2012-2013. Different offensive scheme. Great plays by Spiller but it's a different team now. Even if Spiller is as sweet as Orange Juice, our offensive now is Oreos. And everybody knows you don't drink orange juice with oreos.

He's not going anywhere. Did Laconfora forget both Fredex and Spiller were hurt last year at some point? Whaley is building a power team with a massive athletic O-Line, dominant running game with four different backs so when one gets hurt, another goes in, and an excellent defense with an improved run defense (we hope).

Whaley even referenced in one of his interviews stating he wanted to replicate a team like the Steelers when Big Ben was in his first couple of years making it easier for a QB to develop.

I don't see anyone giving up their first round pick for Spiller, and anything less is not worth it.

Kind of neutral on whether Bills should deal Spiller. If someone offers a late 1st or early 2nd rounder, I think you have to take it. Otherwise keep him and hope he has a great year. Never understood why teams with franchise QB's, especially aging ones, cling to their draft picks. A lot of good all those draft picks did for New England the past 10 years. Think what Brady could've done with a Julio Jones or AJ Green. Or imagine Brady with an Adrian Peterson. I'd think it would be a no brainer for Denver, whose window is rapidly closing, to deal for someone like Spiller.

Kind of neutral on whether Bills should deal Spiller. If someone offers a late 1st or early 2nd rounder, I think you have to take it. Otherwise keep him and hope he has a great year. Never understood why teams with franchise QB's, especially aging ones, cling to their draft picks. A lot of good all those draft picks did for New England the past 10 years. Think what Brady could've done with a Julio Jones or AJ Green. Or imagine Brady with an Adrian Peterson. I'd think it would be a no brainer for Denver, whose window is rapidly closing, to deal for someone like Spiller.

I think the realistic compensation for Spiller this year would either be a player or at most a 3rd round selection given his current contract status... Teams don't give up a 1st or 2nd round picks for players in the last year of a contract... Not without securing a new contracts either prior to, or as terms of a trade

well, I searched for like 20 minutes trying to find plays where Spiller was tackled for losses or no gains. Unfortunately for me and very fortunate for you, people don't put "lowlight" videos on YouTube. But I can assure you, there's a lot more than the 25 plays you just showed me. And about 5 of those plays on that reel were nothing special. Hell, 2 of them were him running out of bounds like the idiot he is.

Yeah, I've heard that argument before about screens being a part of his game. They are to other RBs too and the good ones still average more than 755 yards in the ground and 3TDs a season over their careers. But keep thinking he's good because he can rattle off 15 plays for a highlight reel. Roscoe Parrish used to do that too and he sucked. But you probably thought he was good too.

I don't really care what you think about my football knowledge. At the end of the day, you think 755 yards and 3 TDs a year is good for a RB. You also make a lot of excises for people and you have hope that a player that has literally never been much better than average is a good RB. Keep it up. Looking good.

well, I searched for like 20 minutes trying to find plays where Spiller was tackled for losses or no gains. Unfortunately for me and very fortunate for you, people don't put "lowlight" videos on YouTube. But I can assure you, there's a lot more than the 25 plays you just showed me. And about 5 of those plays on that reel were nothing special. Hell, 2 of them were him running out of bounds like the idiot he is.

Yeah, I've heard that argument before about screens being a part of his game. They are to other RBs too and the good ones still average more than 755 yards in the ground and 3TDs a season over their careers. But keep thinking he's good because he can rattle off 15 plays for a highlight reel. Roscoe Parrish used to do that too and he sucked. But you probably thought he was good too.

I don't really care what you think about my football knowledge. At the end of the day, you think 755 yards and 3 TDs a year is good for a RB. You also make a lot of excises for people and you have hope that a player that has literally never been much better than average is a good RB. Keep it up. Looking good.

Our offensive scheme is terrible at giving him the ball in space.

Disclaimer I think this guy is a tool and he may just be speculating

His article also referred to "Tom" Pegula

http://mweb.cbssport...j-manuel-better

"I'd expect the Bills to field calls for running backs if contending teams continue to lose them (Vick Ballard and Kendall Hunter already out for the year). Buffalo has more backs than it needs, probably, and C.J. Spiller, in the final year of his deal and with no extension in sight, could be the odd man out. I anticipate Fred Jackson being a Bill for life, and he could end up with a few new years on his deal, and the speed of Bryce Brown is impressive. Anthony Dixon supplies depth. A trade market for Spiller could well develop over the next month."

Makes sense. Won't get much as CJ is a FA at year end. But maybe a 3rd or 4th. If it is sign and trade deal, then maybe a 2nd. First is out of the question in any scenario. Pass first league. Running backs are like Safeties. Replaceable. Worse than safeties , as RBs only last 5 or 6 years . I would trade him. We will never sign him to what he will want. he will want whatever Marshawn Lynch gets and some crazy agent will have him hold out, then he will rip a hammy as soon as he gets back. RBs are 4-5 years and then gone in this league. just the way it is. the RB wants to get that big second deal once their cheap rookie deal is up. I love the way Whaley has handled this, getting bryce brown and the guy from SF. Big boy business. Trade him for a 2nd mid season to a team whose #1 goes down. Love it.

and you are forgetting that they will never be able to re-sign him and he will walk for no compensation. that is reality from a front office perspective ; that is unacceptable and bad front office management. so you move him when you can get something for him. RBs are expendable in a pass-first league... see Knowshon Moreno

Edited by 8and8Forever

Our offensive scheme is terrible at giving him the ball in space.

all I keep hearing is excuses.

Makes sense. Won't get much as CJ is a FA at year end. But maybe a 3rd or 4th. If it is sign and trade deal, then maybe a 2nd. First is out of the question in any scenario. Pass first league. Running backs are like Safeties. Replaceable. Worse than safeties , as RBs only last 5 or 6 years . I would trade him. We will never sign him to what he will want. he will want whatever Marshawn Lynch gets and some crazy agent will have him hold out, then he will rip a hammy as soon as he gets back. RBs are 4-5 years and then gone in this league. just the way it is. the RB wants to get that big second deal once their cheap rookie deal is up. I love the way Whaley has handled this, getting bryce brown and the guy from SF. Big boy business. Trade him for a 2nd mid season to a team whose #1 goes down. Love it.

and you are forgetting that they will never be able to re-sign him and he will walk for no compensation. that is reality from a front office perspective ; that is unacceptable and bad front office management. so you move him when you can get something for him. RBs are expendable in a pass-first league... see Knowshon Moreno

stop making sense

Fail.

i don't know what part of that was a fail. The fact that Roscoe used to have a few plays a year that made most idiots want him in the team? Or the fact that most idiots thought he was much more than he really was. But the fact is that CJ is not much different than Roscoe Parrish. He gives you a couple plays a year that make you think he's something special when in actuality, he's always hurt, undersized, can't hold up in the NFL, over hyped, under performing, the list could go on and on.

Teams can no longer re-sign players for some reason ? Where do you get this foolproof info ?

not ones that are underachieving, over priced, and will demand about 2x more than they are worth in terms of production.