All Bad NFL Contracts Team - Chris Williams

H2o

Guard: Chris Williams, Bills

Contract Flaw: The Marginal Talent

Perhaps the 2014 offseason’s most inexplicable contract, Williams was rewarded for a year of middling guard work in St. Louis with a four-year, $13.4 million contract from Buffalo.

http://grantland.com/features/the-2014-all-bad-nfl-contracts-team/

Can't say I disagree with the assessment right now, but I hope he proves me wrong with his play for us.

It's not that much for a starter. I guess we will see if it was too much based on his play in this system, as that is what he signed to do. The Bills are not "rewarding" him for anything. Their pro scouts evidently feel his strengths fit what this OL scheme does and his weaknesses will be less of an issue based on scheme and the guys next to him.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I'm pretty sure the writer is going off of last year's performance, how Williams graded out at the bottom of the league as far as Guard play goes. Like I said, I hope he proves me wrong with his play for us this season. A solid OL will go a LOOOOOONG way in helping along EJ's development and our W-L totals.

Edited by H2o

With his kind of dismal NFL history so far, who were the Bills bidding against? Anyone?

It was a head scratcher at the time of the signing. With marrone being a supposed O-line

Guy, how did that work out with the dismal LG play last year?

Maybe it's all Whaley yet again finding a gold nugget at the bottom of the barrel.

i hope so because the former left guard was pretty good, and was reliable. Like TE

Maybe the team doesn't value the "position". because, last year it showed.

The market dictates the price of every athlete.

If you want to win games, you have to spend money at positions of need. Whaley saw a team need and did what he could.

How about we wait until the end of the actual season before judging if it was a bad contract or not?

Amen.

First rounders usually get top dollar even if they disappoint

As he's both cleared waivers and signed two contracts before this - we have some gauge of his value around the league. It seems to be far less than we gave him.

He might play better than he's shown and be a value - but it seems fair calling it an incredibly aggressive offer given his résumé.