How many times do you want to see EJ pass per game?

Early in Big Bens career, the steelers tried to limit his pass attempts per game with a strong running game as he developed. Seattle and SF both are at the bottom of the league in pass attempts, both have young developing QBs. But we have a very nice WR corp... And what appears to be a major weapon in sammy. Then take into account the screens we want to CJ. So what's the ideal mix?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think 20-25 throws is where they want EJ. I don't want him throwing the ball 30 plus times especially beginning of the season. It is all going to depend on the oline. The talent is there can the coaching staff put it all together. The more effectively this team can run the ball the more success we will see. 3rd down and redzone is where EJ needs to play his best.

I think 20-25 throws is where they want EJ. I don't want him throwing the ball 30 plus times especially beginning of the season. It is all going to depend on the oline. The talent is there can the coaching staff put it all together. The more effectively this team can run the ball the more success we will see. 3rd down and redzone is where EJ needs to play his best.

I am down with that with the caveat that there will be games where he needs to throw 30+. If I were a DC and seeing our strengths and our weaknesses, EJ from day one would see 8 in the Box and play the run first and MAKE EJ beat us. Right now EJ and a questionable OL is our biggest weakness.

I am down with that with the caveat that there will be games where he needs to throw 30+. If I were a DC and seeing our strengths and our weaknesses, EJ from day one would see 8 in the Box and play the run first and MAKE EJ beat us. Right now EJ and a questionable OL is our biggest weakness.

I think if EJ has to throw 30+ it'll be because of the Bills defense, not because of the opposition's D. I can only see that many attempts in a shootout.

No EJ probably isn't going to the pro bowl - but If a DC is going to keep stacking the box, every WR is capable of taking the top off. I think EJ won't hesitate to let it rip this year- especially with explicit instructions form Hackett.

I agree, because this means great running game and great D.

Somebody before said Marrone's bringing the NO offense to Buffalo, so I expect 50-55 throws a game/sarcasm.

seriously, here's a link to Brees' career stats... can EJ get there too?...eventually? Look at Drew's 2nd year... comparable to EJ last season?...

http://www.nfl.com/p...775/careerstats

edit:

duh, I forgot EJ's stats for comparisons' sake... sorry

http://www.nfl.com/player/ejmanuel/2539228/careerstats

Edited by You herd it hear last

Early in Big Bens career, the steelers tried to limit his pass attempts per game with a strong running game as he developed. Seattle and SF both are at the bottom of the league in pass attempts, both have young developing QBs. But we have a very nice WR corp... And what appears to be a major weapon in sammy. Then take into account the screens we want to CJ. So what's the ideal mix?

25-30 passes a game

I do believe the o line looks worse than it is, due to the healthy all-pro d line they have to face in practice. They're young, but once they get into games against fronts that are not the best in the league, they will at least give the appearance of being better. Hopefully. Really I would just like to see the same 5 guys in there for the whole season for once.

Somebody before said Marrone's bringing the NO offense to Buffalo, so I expect 50-55 throws a game/sarcasm.

seriously, here's a link to Brees' career stats... can EJ get there too?...eventually? Look at Drew's 2nd year... comparable to EJ last season?...

http://www.nfl.com/player/drewbrees/2504775/careerstats

It's crazy to look at his starts the first few years and compare them to his last few!!! There is hope!!!

I think that if our defense is solid, he should only need to pass 20-30 times per game... 240 yards and 2 TD's 1 INT/game average is reasonable

3,840 yards, 32 TD, 16 INT... I don't know many people that would be upset with that!!!

It's crazy to look at his starts the first few years and compare them to his last few!!! There is hope!!!

I think that if our defense is solid, he should only need to pass 20-30 times per game... 240 yards and 2 TD's 1 INT/game average is reasonable

3,840 yards, 32 TD, 16 INT... I don't know many people that would be upset with that!!!

I really think this OL has been falsely heralded for too long now. Glenn and Wood are good. Urbik can get hot, to the point where he is our best OL at times. However, Gailey negated how terrible this line was by stretching the sidelines. Our pass protection is terrible, and we seem to magnify our deficiencies by running a bunch of bunch sets. Gailey made this OL look average-ish, and now we seem to be making excuses for them.

We lead the league in rushing yards last year, but also ran the ball about 40 carries more than any other team in the league. We were almost right on average with yards per carry.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/rushing/sort/yardsPerRushAttempt

Our QB carousel was also the 10th most hit in the league last year

http://wp.advancedfootballanalytics.com/teamOL.php

OL is by far our largest issue currently

15-20 but with a really high YPA

I really think this OL has been falsely heralded for too long now. Glenn and Wood are good. Urbik can get hot, to the point where he is our best OL at times. However, Gailey negated how terrible this line was by stretching the sidelines. Our pass protection is terrible, and we seem to magnify our deficiencies by running a bunch of bunch sets. Gailey made this OL look average-ish, and now we seem to be making excuses for them.

We lead the league in rushing yards last year, but also ran the ball about 40 carries more than any other team in the league. We were almost right on average with yards per carry.

http://espn.go.com/n...sPerRushAttempt

http://wp.advancedfo....com/teamOL.php

I anticipate 3 new starters on the O-Line to start the year and that assumes Glenn is back by then. If I had to guess, Chris Williams at LG, Hairston at RG and Kouandijo at RT. I like Cyril Richardson also but I wasn't ready to go with an all rookie right side.

An interesting question is, in the unlikely event that Seantrel Henderson manages to not get kicked off the team and actually plays up to his ability, do we then consider kicking Glenn to LG.

http://espn.go.com/n...sPerRushAttempt

http://wp.advancedfo....com/teamOL.php

Falsely heralded?

They've pretty much sucked for more than a few years now. This years added size alone HAS to be considered some kind of upgrade over the oft laughable guard/rt play.

@ChrisTrapasso: "Five years from now, maybe we're throwing it 50 times a game. But now it's, 'Make the right decision." #Bills GM Doug Whaley to @RapSheet

@ChrisTrapasso: Brady, Big Ben, Brees, Rivers, Flacco, Romo, Wilson and Kaepernick were all (correctly) developed that way.