TE's where have ye gone?

Disappeared into the midsummer early morning fog of St. John Fisher, they did.

Chandler was our leading receiver last year if I recall, and an important outlet for EJ.

Seems no one cares about Moeaki's ceiling or Gragg's inability to garner any offensive eyeballs.

What gives? Is it the position isn't THAT important in our offense, or do they all just suck?

Now, we have a new budding offensive giant in SWat. Gonna be hard justifying the reps to those up 'n comers like Moeaki or Gragg.

Do they fit? Or just keep em around for STs and injury?

With obvious depth at other positions that we would like to maintain, do we keep the same amount of TEs this year?

There's a lot of questions to choose from I know, but that's just an indication the big picture problem we have at the position.

Take yer pick.

Moeaki is an "up and comer"? Guy's been around a few years, had 2 major injuries, and according to one observer on this site at camp he's not moving extremely well.

Gragg's claim to fame this year has been having to go to the hospital for as a heat casualty.

Chandler, by virtue of his contract, isn't thought of highly. But they're content to feature him and not improve the position. The last time Buffalo drafted a TE above the 4th round was Kevin Everett in 2005.

Moeaki is an "up and comer"? Guy's been around a few years, had 2 major injuries, and according to one observer on this site at camp he's not moving extremely well.

Gragg's claim to fame this year has been having to go to the hospital for as a heat casualty.

Chandler, by virtue of his contract, isn't thought of highly. But they're content to feature him and not improve the position. The last time Buffalo drafted a TE above the 4th round was Kevin Everett in 2005.

peter king said in his recap of his visit that he thinks (he thinks) that moeaki is likely to steal reps from chandler this year. and he didnt mean it as a knock on chandler.

i clearly havent been there - so just throwing out another second hand point of view.

Chandler is still our best TE, and while he may not be that popular amongst most of the fans here, he does provide a threat as a receiver.

The Bills may not put a big emphasis on how the TE's are used this season, so we'll have to wait and see.

So with these factored in, do you anticipate any of these guys being a significant on field producer? Less touches all around probably, allowing no one to stand out.

Chandler is an adequate TE and usually a reliable pair of hands. We undoubtedly need an upgrade at the position.

To answer the OP, I thnk the media and Bills nation is just overlooking the position as a whole because of all the other exciting and important things we have going on:

-The addition of Sammy,

-EJ's progress,

-RB battle,

-New defensive scheme,

-Injury to Kiko,

-Safety competition

-RT competition

-Glenn's health

Not to lower its value on a team but TE falls mighty low in the scheme of things at this year's training camp.

Nobody is really talking about them much so far, and yet they should be the outlet in the red zone for the team once the season starts. Everyone >> Sammy!

I just hope this isn't another Merriman experiment with Moeaki, and the kid can stay healthy while regaining full strength. If so, he could be a big factor in the offense. I liked the kid a lot in KC before the injuries.

Edited by FeartheLosing

clearly you haven't been to camp this year yet. Well... I have. And I can tell you that Gragg looked REALLY good. Both days I was there. Easily the best TE on the field.

Who was Seattle`s T.E. ? Yeah thought so. Our T.E.s are good enough. Cry baby Cry.

You emphasize a great point. And I'm not saying I don't like our TEs, but does Hackett feel the same? EJ?

When all is said and done, will Chandler again lead the team in receptions?

If EJ improves his reads manifesting to less check downs, will Chandler net as many opportunities? And others say Moeaki is a better pass catcher/athlete, is he going to get his chances to shine?

I'm only saying this because, it seems to be the next greatest thing kind of offense to run that creates excellent matchups. Is the ceiling for Moeaki and Gragg a player that could approach that kind of player? IMO, Chandler has peaked and if we're all good with that level, I'm ok with it i guess too.

Guess we don't give Chandler much credit for coming back from a serious knee injury and in his first year back has a career year and leads the team in receptions. If only it took more than a year for someone to come back fully from a serious knee injury...

Guess we don't give Chandler much credit for coming back from a serious knee injury and in his first year back has a career year and leads the team in receptions. If only it took more than a year for someone to come back fully from a serious knee injury...

While that may be true and he was hampered all year by the knee, that still is not an excuse for the dropped balls and crucial fumbles. But more importantly, the fact that no team looked at him seriously, or offered him even a low end contract is all you need to know about his value around the league. We could do worse, and have done significantly worse. But he is a third tier TE at best.

Hopefully he is healthy this year, and all the eyes of the defenses will be on Sammy, our other strong wideouts and our serious talent at RB and Chandler will find some open seams down the middle. It seemed like the very best passes that EJ threw all of last year were 20-30 yarders to the TE down the seams.

clearly you haven't been to camp this year yet. Well... I have. And I can tell you that Gragg looked REALLY good. Both days I was there. Easily the best TE on the field.

Really?

Do you think Gragg has a shot at starting?

This was going to be MY post . Except i wans't there ( no need to rub it in : )

This is the underdog sleeper i think. Not Tony although i hope he can get up to speed quickly and contribute .

My guy is actually Lee Smith.

I just dig his work ethic .

But what do i know , i am also a Frank the Tank fan. If iWhaley could tell me either of theseguys would be around for a couple years i would buy a jersey honestly .

I have love for Scott too. Hard worker who found his home here. Absolutely a Bill who will leave it all on the field.

Go Bills Tight ends ! No matter where they line up !!

Really?

Do you think Gragg has a shot at starting?

Yes .

difficult decisons to be made between rb fb te postions. I guess the bottom of the WRs list too .

I find this to be more fun to pick them all than some years ago. Alot more fun actually ,Mark : )

Respect

This was going to be MY post . Except i wans't there ( no need to rub it in : )

This is the underdog sleeper i think. Not Tony although i hope he can get up to speed quickly and contribute .

My guy is actually Lee Smith.

I just dig his work ethic .

But what do i know , i am also a Frank the Tank fan. If iWhaley could tell me either of theseguys would be around for a couple years i would buy a jersey honestly .

I have love for Scott too. Hard worker who found his home here. Absolutely a Bill who will leave it all on the field.

Go Bills Tight ends ! No matter where they line up !!

Yes .

difficult decisons to be made between rb fb te postions. I guess the bottom of the WRs list too .

I find this to be more fun to pick them all than some years ago. Alot more fun actually ,Mark : )

There was someone I heard on the radio this week, maybe Chris Brown but I am not sure. They were talking about the TEs and their strengths, weaknesses, limitations, etc. The story went that in a regular season game Lee Smith caught a pass and turned up field. Scott Chandler was also close by (obviously a two TE set) and was blocking. After Smith was immediately tackled, Chandler went up to him and said, "I had my guy blocked, why didn't you cut inside?" And Smith's answer was "I don't cut."

That's about all you need to know about him as a receiver. ;)

We are almost there K-Dog. Just lacking one .

TBD

but , Bills are without a doubt closer than they have been in forever it seems.

PA ? I like your attitude. now lets watch EJ and Nate while keeping our fingers crossed . Its possible my friend .

Once the team learns to win , like really defeat the opponent . They will get the hang of it i bet and the fever will spread withn the team. Even the mediocre players will play above themselves

There was someone I heard on the radio this week, maybe Chris Brown but I am not sure. They were talking about the TEs and their strengths, weaknesses, limitations, etc. The story went that in a regular season game Lee Smith caught a pass and turned up field. Scott Chandler was also close by (obviously a two TE set) and was blocking. After Smith was immediately tackled, Chandler went up to him and said, "I had my guy blocked, why didn't you cut inside?" And Smith's answer was "I don't cut."

That's about all you need to know about him as a receiver. ;)

I remember that quote. I was so f'n proud of him that day . This is exactly why i love ths guy .

Thanks for the recollect !

He has caught the ball more than once , i might mention .

Lee has had his penalties though. : (

Edited by 3rdand12