[closed]Sal P & WNY media

vegas55

It was interesting to see Sal P. roll into town for the opening of camp and in 48 hours develop more inside info than our local media has all year - Dareus etc.

One interesting piece of inside information was relative to the sale of the team - that is, that the team is going to be sold to the highest bidder, regardless. So all of you Ralph Wilson apologists/admirers should finally concede that Wilson, who made in excess of 1 billion dollars from this team, who had the taxpayers of WNY pay for the stadium named after him, who ran the most dysfunctional franchise in NFL history (loses a # 1 pick to the CFL, loses another # 1 pick - Kelly - to the USFL, an overall terrible won/loss record) throws a final middle finger to all his adoring fans in WNY by trying to squeeze out the very last dollar from the sale of this team. He could have simply left an instruction to his trust that all things being relatively equal his preference would be for a WNY focused buyer to be favored. He could have left a simple instruction to his trust that if the bidding hit 1.2 billion, that preference should be given to a WNY focused buyer. He did NOT ONE thing to assist a WNY focused buyer to secure a winning bid. In fact, what did all of you Wilson fans think was his purpose in inserting a minimal buyout in 2019 within the current lease. There is one reason and one reason only to have such an unusual clause in a lease - that is, to make the team more financially attractive to a bidder who wants to move the team out of Buffalo. That clause was not put in there to help a Terry Pegula, or a Jim Kelly led bidding team. It's there to assist in squeezing out yet more dollars out of this franchise. Because for Ralph, 1 billion plus was simply not enough.

It was interesting to see Sal P. roll into town for the opening of camp and in 48 hours develop more inside info than our local media has all year - Dareus etc.

One interesting piece of inside information was relative to the sale of the team - that is, that the team is going to be sold to the highest bidder, regardless. So all of you Ralph Wilson apologists/admirers should finally concede that Wilson, who made in excess of 1 billion dollars from this team, who had the taxpayers of WNY pay for the stadium named after him, who ran the most dysfunctional franchise in NFL history (loses a # 1 pick to the CFL, loses another # 1 pick - Kelly - to the USFL, an overall terrible won/loss record) throws a final middle finger to all his adoring fans in WNY by trying to squeeze out the very last dollar from the sale of this team. He could have simply left an instruction to his trust that all things being relatively equal his preference would be for a WNY focused buyer to be favored. He could have left a simple instruction to his trust that if the bidding hit 1.2 billion, that preference should be given to a WNY focused buyer. He did NOT ONE thing to assist a WNY focused buyer to secure a winning bid. In fact, what did all of you Wilson fans think was his purpose in inserting a minimal buyout in 2019 within the current lease. There is one reason and one reason only to have such an unusual clause in a lease - that is, to make the team more financially attractive to a bidder who wants to move the team out of Buffalo. That clause was not put in there to help a Terry Pegula, or a Jim Kelly led bidding team. It's there to assist in squeezing out yet more dollars out of this franchise. Because for Ralph, 1 billion plus was simply not enough.

How does Sal know the details of the trust?

Didn't you know, Sal has ESP!

And, OP, if the franchise is so dysfunctional how did he make in excess of $1B from it as you so thoughtfully pointed out? Go back to Vegas.

Edited by Mark80

In the end of the day, he doesn't "owe" WNY ANYTHING, he put the team here for 55 years, and we all enjoyed it. Stop making it sound like you just supported the Bills because you had a financial stake in it. In the end of the day, the Bills gave back more money than they took, in the form of sales tax, and are about to give back a major chunk more in the form of estate tax, which I believe is nearly 50%. So THE SELFISHNESS of them walking away with 1.2 billion dollars is knocked down by the fact that they're handing over half of that, and "only" grossing $600 million. To sell an NFL team and walk away with that much is much less than if you just sold it outright and just had to deal with sales tax.

In the end of the day, he doesn't "owe" WNY ANYTHING, he put the team here for 55 years, and we all enjoyed it. Stop making it sound like you just supported the Bills because you had a financial stake in it. In the end of the day, the Bills gave back more money than they took, in the form of sales tax, and are about to give back a major chunk more in the form of estate tax, which I believe is nearly 50%. So THE SELFISHNESS of them walking away with 1.2 billion dollars is knocked down by the fact that they're handing over half of that, and "only" grossing $600 million. To sell an NFL team and walk away with that much is much less than if you just sold it outright and just had to deal with sales tax.

Wow - who said Ralph owed us anything. After all we only built a stadium for him, we then paid for $200 + million in improvements to that stadium, we then gave up the lucrative annual naming rights fee so that the stadium that WE paid for could be named after him. But please read the post - IT DID NOT say the Wilson family should not ask and get 1.2 billion+ for the team, it in fact said just the opposite, genius. It just asked that if the bidding reached 1.2 billion, a simple expression that a WNY focused buyer be given some additional consideration/preference. That's all. And by the way an inheritance tax of 50% or 600 million +, does not go to, or benefit the taxpayers of WNY. It's mostly a federal tax

... One interesting piece of inside information was relative to the sale of the team - that is, that the team is going to be sold to the highest bidder, regardless.

Sal seems to omit an important piece of info: the team is going to be sold to the highest bidder that garners a 3/4 vote from the trustees.

That's a LOT different than saying it goes to the highest bidder, regardless.

GO BILLS!!!

The rule around here is... if you are the media, you're right. You write so you're right. You get the benefit, like a cop, of the assumption of clarity of conscious and moral high ground, despite their being a high incentive to write regardless of whether you're right. So now, they write to not report news but to draw attention to their "reports" so as to sell ads by driving up views. So rehashing old news, like the current tweet about the JBJ group looking at Toronto statium sites, which was old news 18 months ago and there is no indication this is actually recent but it's a tweet, it got out there, drew attention to the "reporter," pushes the meter.

I'm a news junkie and hold in high regard very good journalists, but most sports "informationists" I don't. They cover a sport for a living first of all so what they say is really meaningless in the scheme of what matters. so I don't watse my time on op ed pieces, I have my own brain and can think for myself. Really why do people care what a sports honk says, it's not like you can debate them on the merits of their opinion. They turn self-righteous at the drop of a hat when anyone criticizes them, taking to twitter and forums and radio shows to stand up for themselves, which I find hilarious and hypocritical when you spent you life being critical of someone playing a game while wondering why someone questions your credibility when you get to hide behind anonymous sources.

So stop reading into what they say. Let it go. Let this settle on its own instead of thinking anything being said, spun, and regurgitated is of any value.

Sal seems to omit an important piece of info: the team is going to be sold to the highest bidder that garners a 3/4 vote from the trustees.

That's a LOT different than saying it goes to the highest bidder, regardless.

GO BILLS!!!

And as I'm sure you understand, there's more to it than just that little stipulation.

And as I'm sure you understand, there's more to it than just that little stipulation.

Yep. I only cite that stipulation for starters. Thought maybe I could give Sal P something to build on. He seems to need the help.

GO BILLS!!!

To the OP the sale of the franchise and the prospective price of the sale, the impact to WNY and so forth is being covered in multiple threads.

[This is an automated response]

This subject matter is being currently being discussed or has already been discussed in a previous thread.

Please consider using the "search" function before starting new topics.

Thank you.