When you weren't looking...

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No Saint ,

I am nothing much for statistics , but i think you might be able to answer somewhat this query .

Is there a relationship measured for defenses that directly relates INT based on pressures ? , to be found ?

Or passes defended in relation to pressure .

Sacks might be a broken play or pure human effort or a coverage sack.

The obvious challenge being measuring pressures.... Sacks are nice because they either happened or didnt and over a 10 year stretch should generally account for a lot of quirkiness giving you a good idea of pressure.

Don't forget in Tennessee he had some good secondary play- his final year they had 2-3 pro bowlers on the back end of the defense (hope griffin and finnegan I think).... It was a really good defense, much like our talented group.

All this because he's been killing it opposite Chris I haven't played football in 20 months Hairston and a seventh round rookie?

:devil:

you got it. without cordy glenn, we will be in deep doo doo.

Hughes will most likely be a situational pass rusher on 3rd downs in Schwartz's defense.

I expect manny Lawson to start and play on 1st and 2nd "run" downs.

Edited by papazoid

I think we are in a choose either Hughes or dareus situation potentially. It'll be interesting as neither is a slam dunk to succeed.... How they handle these two will go a long way in shaping this team. Obviously EJ is the biggest thing but these two in the coming months will be a pretty defining set of decisions for the regime.

I agree .

No pressure Dougie W and the Boys.

Dont forget Spiller and Jackson though . Those are each a delicate affair too . Mike Williams . Brandon Spikes . What if Spikes Kills it and solves the run problem.

How about Jim Schwaatz . Isnt he a one year deal ?

A lot of change could happen next year.

I am stressed just thinking about it

Edited by 3rdand12

The obvious challenge being measuring pressures.... Sacks are nice because they either happened or didnt and over a 10 year stretch should generally account for a lot of quirkiness giving you a good idea of pressure.

Don't forget in Tennessee he had some good secondary play- his final year they had 2-3 pro bowlers on the back end of the defense (hope griffin and finnegan I think).... It was a really good defense, much like our talented group.

Less blitzing and concentrating on stopping the run could lead to longer 2nd and x or 3rd and x which could lead to more sacks for good speed rushers like Hughes. Less blitzing means one more man in coverage which could mean more time the QB handles the ball which could help sacks. The Bills D line got 40 sacks by itself. As far as pass rush ability, it has better talent than the Lions front four or the Titans front fours, even on very good defenses. I think we won't see all that much blitzing from the linebackers because there isn't a lot of talent there for that. I do think we will see our share of blitzes by Robey and Searcy. They just have the knack, and are very good at it, and there is no way that Shwartz is not going to take advantage of that.

you got it. without cordy glenn, we will be in deep doo doo.

Hughes will most likely be a situational pass rusher on 3rd downs in Schwartz's defense.

I expect manny Lawson to start and play on 1st and 2nd "run" downs.

There is no more such thing as first and second run downs. Second has become a passing down.

I agree .

No pressure Dougie W and the Boys.

Dont forget Spiller and Jackson though . Those are each a delicate affair too . Mike Williams . Brandon Spikes . What if Spikes Kills it and solves the run problem.

How about Jim Schwaatz . Isnt he a one year deal ?

A lot of change could happen next year.

I am stressed just thinking about it

absolutely.

How are we going to keep this 6-10 team together?????

Start saving your pennies Terry!

Lets hope he gets settled in with our guys . Jim has a hell of an opportunity here . I would expect him as skilled as he is , to field these players in a postion to win the battles.

Less blitzing and concentrating on stopping the run could lead to longer 2nd and x or 3rd and x which could lead to more sacks for good speed rushers like Hughes. Less blitzing means one more man in coverage which could mean more time the QB handles the ball which could help sacks. The Bills D line got 40 sacks by itself. As far as pass rush ability, it has better talent than the Lions front four or the Titans front fours, even on very good defenses. I think we won't see all that much blitzing from the linebackers because there isn't a lot of talent there for that. I do think we will see our share of blitzes by Robey and Searcy. They just have the knack, and are very good at it, and there is no way that Shwartz is not going to take advantage of that.

I did project Schwartz to have a career high sack total when I penciled in numbers up thread..... There are pros and cons to the schemes and approaches, or everyone would be doing the same thing. We have talent that fits his approach well. I'd expect a good season, without steering this too far off Hughes and into Schwartz. Just not banking on a huge jump for Hughes. 10 is a very good year. I don't think he will be schwartzs first 15 sack end or anything bold like that though. I'll stick by 8-10 for Hughes and 45 or so for the unit if the front 4 stay healthy

Does Schwartzseses defense play to the strengths of Dareus and KW? Suh was and is a monster who brings it...Fairley to some degree also. Will kydar play be affected Leading to less opportunities for interior penetration in that scheme?

perhaps we're SO talented that he's overlooking our best player (maybe more like player who seems to project and is currently producing and on track to be our best player)

I'm just sayin' it could very well be Hughes. (at least on D, with the seeming arrival of Swat)

So we've had a few pages of this now and not too many, if any comments about negative fundamentals in his game or his off field issue with the racing. Just find that fact interesting in itself.

absolutely.

How are we going to keep this 6-10 team together?????

Start saving your pennies Terry!

Money has to be spent . Its natural by now. Spending it wisely is the trick that most all of us strive for.

The record of the team is not quite the money spent .

These last couple years have shown a much smarter and alert , responsive and perhaps proactive Bills environment .

It has not reflected in the win loss column tis true. Its surely a complicated equation my friend , Mr Gold

Does Schwartzseses defense play to the strengths of Dareus and KW? Suh was and is a monster who brings it...Fairley to some degree also. Will kydar play be affected Leading to less opportunities for interior penetration in that scheme?

perhaps we're SO talented that he's overlooking our best player (maybe more like player who seems to project and is currently producing and on track to be our best player)

I'm just sayin' it could very well be Hughes. (at least on D, with the seeming arrival of Swat)

So we've had a few pages of this now and not too many, if any comments about negative fundamentals in his game or his off field issue with the racing. Just find that fact interesting in itself.

Schwartz has traditionally been more apt to tell the front 4 to go get the qb even if it hurts the run defense. And then hope a guy like spikes can clean up. Our interior guys do that well and it plays to Hughes strengths.

I did project Schwartz to have a career high sack total when I penciled in numbers up thread..... There are pros and cons to the schemes and approaches, or everyone would be doing the same thing. We have talent that fits his approach well. I'd expect a good season, without steering this too far off Hughes and into Schwartz. Just not banking on a huge jump for Hughes. 10 is a very good year. I don't think he will be schwartzs first 15 sack end or anything bold like that though. I'll stick by 8-10 for Hughes and 45 or so for the unit if the front 4 stay healthy

Yeah, I agree with that. Hughes should get about 10. And the team 45-50.

I wouldn't be shocked if he got to double digit sacks again this year, but I wouldn't hold my breath expecting ANY of our players (Hughes included) to put up the kind of sack numbers they did in 2013. The defense simply isn't built for it this time around.

The only player I'd say is a lock for double digit sacks is Mario.

The defense isn't built for it??? How so..

TANGENT

The term jumping the shark starting catching on in like 2006. And what you've described above is not jumping the shark. You've defined trite.

We could always just go back to calling things trite.

The original Jump The Shark site was pretty damn funny. Not quite as good as the original Cameltoe Report, but still pretty good.

Nothing like the good old days on the web....

I was just looking up Robert Quinn's measurables and stats 6'4" 265 ...an insane 19 sacks in 2013

to see how Jerry compares at 6'2" 254... 10.5 sacks

Quinn had 10 sacks prior to last years output...

I have no doubt that Hughes can easily reach last years' total...

If he starts out on fire, it could really open things up for his teammates to T off on QBs.

But not before jumping the shark jumped the shark. So congratulations are also in order for you.

Jumping the Shark is retredded.

TANGENT

The term jumping the shark starting catching on in like 2006. And what you've described above is not jumping the shark. You've defined trite.

We could always just go back to calling things trite.

Or go forward, and start calling things retredded.

In all cases, the notion that somehow Schwatz isn't going to recognize what he has in Hughes, or Mario Williams, or Kyle Williams, or Dareus, is retredded as well.

Jerry Hughes fan club bump.

The combo of Kyle and Jerry are looking EXTREMELY GOOD (did you notice the capital letters?)

Now, Throw Mario, Dareus in there as well.

But wait, there's more.

More what you say?

More time to get to the QB because Gilmore and McKelvin are blanketing the best targets on the other team.

Let's not forget about the first glimpse of run stuffing I saw last night from Spikes.

Then, after all that, you have to watch out for the safeties. Searcy, Williams and Williams all bring the wood.

Special teams were booting it out of the end zone or blocking kicks. So, pretty pleasant results there.

So I got off on a tangent.

But with respect to Hughes, he just keeps coming at you it seems. I really think we gotta gem here guys.

Stay healthy and this could be the starting line (1/2 joking) at the AFC Pro-Bowl.

Jerry Hughes fan club bump.

The combo of Kyle and Jerry are looking EXTREMELY GOOD (did you notice the capital letters?)

Now, Throw Mario, Dareus in there as well.

But wait, there's more.

More what you say?

More time to get to the QB because Gilmore and McKelvin are blanketing the best targets on the other team.

Let's not forget about the first glimpse of run stuffing I saw last night from Spikes.

Then, after all that, you have to watch out for the safeties. Searcy, Williams and Williams all bring the wood.

Special teams were booting it out of the end zone or blocking kicks. So, pretty pleasant results there.

So I got off on a tangent.

But with respect to Hughes, he just keeps coming at you it seems. I really think we gotta gem here guys.

Stay healthy and this could be the starting line (1/2 joking) at the AFC Pro-Bowl.

Here is a vine from the Hughes/KW stunt...

Rob Quinn @RQUINN619 · 2Kyle Williams/Jerry Hughes gonna be lethal. Stunt executed perfectly https://vine.co/v/M96HxPQFq5m

Edited by YoloinOhio

The defense isn't built for it??? How so..

Not as many go-for-broke exotic blitzes.

The original Jump The Shark site was pretty damn funny. Not quite as good as the original Cameltoe Report, but still pretty good.

Nothing like the good old days on the web....

I was shocked to learn that Clinton set up an email address/website for the White House back in 1993. I wonder how many emails they got from America's hundreds of then-email users.